Pen Repair Kit: Is There Any Such Thing

zquilts

I want to begin trying my hand at repairing some pens - and cleaning and polishing too.

Is there any such thing as a basic pen repair kit that I could get? If not what items would you suggest are must haves?

I appreciate your help.

I know I need sac cement, talc powder - but there are som many other things, including myriad different poishers, I hardly know where to start.

<!-- isHtml:1 --><!-- isHtml:1 --><a class='bbc_url' href='http://www.musingcrowdesigns.com'>Musing Crow Designs

• Replies 14
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• zquilts

• The Write Pen

• PAKMAN

• Vulcan1066

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I suggest a supply of sacs, some shellac, dental picks, micro mesh polishing pads, simichrome polish, a bottle of good car wax, magnifying glass, ultrasonic cleaner, a heat source (I use a hair dryer), section removal pliers, needle nosed pliers or pair of hemostats, a knock out block. small hammer and Dubiel's book. That's what I can think of at the moment. Check out www.pendemonium.com for supplies. I can send you a picture of my work bench and tools if you'd like.

Regards,

danny

Edited by The Write Pen

writepenbanner.gif.3b32962e78b1a1ac0464819a5bdfe0b8.gif

And another thing; a box of junker pens to start with, the learning curve on restoration is not long, but it can be steep.

danny

writepenbanner.gif.3b32962e78b1a1ac0464819a5bdfe0b8.gif

I've seen a starter repair kit just recently. I thought it was at Pendemonium, but I couldn't find it on their website. :embarrassed_smile:

Good Luck!

Pendemonium had a starter set and Trypon has a starter set.

PAKMAN

minibanner.gif                                    Vanness-world-final.png.c1b120b90855ce70a8fd70dd342ebc00.png

My Favorite Pen Restorer                                             My Favorite Pen Store

Vanness Pens - Selling Online!

I would suggest a pair of hemostats or two. The long thin nosed ones are good for almost anything you can imagine. Most medical supply stores have them. They are also available over the internet. The cheap stuff from Pakistan usually is under 10 dollars each. The good German stuff usually starts at 50 each.

I would also recommend a good gunsmithing screwdriver set. These screwdrivers are flat ground and will not strip out a screw they fit properly in. Midway USA is a good place to look for them. Simple sets shouldnt be over 30 dollars.

Some sort of syringe with a steel flat tip needle like others on here recommend for refills cartridges would be good to apply a bit of glue to a hard to reach place...or even a shot of water to a hard to clean place.

A dental scraper can help you pick or scratch at anything your fingers are a bit too big for.

A pair or two of nylon lined or nylon jawed pliers. Jewelry making catalogs frequently have these. I use fire mountain jems. Some of thier small pliers would be most helpful. The nice thing about the nylon jawed pliers is that they dont leave scratches.

A good light source is a must.

and of course magnafication is also very helpful. A lighted magnifying glass is wonderful for restoring pens, to tying flies, to almost anything else you can imagine.

Legal disclaimer!

*be it known that the above websites are for imformational purposes only and I receive no financial benefit from them*

"Meddle not in the affairs of dragons for you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup"

Pendemonium did have a little starter kit on last week(I think it was a Midnight Madness item) with many of the items Danny mentioned . Perhaps they shall again or ask them in an email if they plan to. Cheers Mike

Parker

51 set

21 set

21 Desk sets

Sheaffer

Preludes F M BP

Imperials

Snorkel Sentinel Admiral Statesman

Craftsmen

No-Nonsense M Italic

Reform 1745

Waterman Phileas F M

Might like a 149 someday!!

A bad day on the water is better than a good day in the office

Thanks Mike - I AM going to ask them about it !

Pendemonium did have a little starter kit on last week(I think it was a Midnight Madness item) with many of the items Danny mentioned . Perhaps they shall again or ask them in an email if they plan to. Cheers Mike

<!-- isHtml:1 --><!-- isHtml:1 --><a class='bbc_url' href='http://www.musingcrowdesigns.com'>Musing Crow Designs

Yes, with tools I really believe that you get what you pay for !

I like decent stuff if I am going to use it !

Thanks for all of these good suggestions !

I would suggest a pair of hemostats or two. The long thin nosed ones are good for almost anything you can imagine. Most medical supply stores have them. They are also available over the internet. The cheap stuff from Pakistan usually is under 10 dollars each. The good German stuff usually starts at 50 each.

I would also recommend a good gunsmithing screwdriver set. These screwdrivers are flat ground and will not strip out a screw they fit properly in. Midway USA is a good place to look for them. Simple sets shouldnt be over 30 dollars.

Some sort of syringe with a steel flat tip needle like others on here recommend for refills cartridges would be good to apply a bit of glue to a hard to reach place...or even a shot of water to a hard to clean place.

A dental scraper can help you pick or scratch at anything your fingers are a bit too big for.

A pair or two of nylon lined or nylon jawed pliers. Jewelry making catalogs frequently have these. I use fire mountain jems. Some of thier small pliers would be most helpful. The nice thing about the nylon jawed pliers is that they dont leave scratches.

A good light source is a must.

and of course magnafication is also very helpful. A lighted magnifying glass is wonderful for restoring pens, to tying flies, to almost anything else you can imagine.

Legal disclaimer!

*be it known that the above websites are for imformational purposes only and I receive no financial benefit from them*

K-D Tools - Spark Plug Terminal Pliers 135 $7.95

post-7521-1229985396_thumb.gif

Available at:

NAPA Auto Parts

Autozone

Pep Boys

Advance Ato Parts

Great for gripping section while turning, won't scratch or slip. Buy two or use grippy shelf liner for holding the barrel without slipping.

Pick up some silicone grease from the plumbing section of the orange depot.

Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results.

-Albert Einstein (1879-1955)

I asked a similar question here about a year ago. I think my question had "travel" in the subject line.

I will look for it.

edit

https://www.fountainpennetwork.com/forum/in...showtopic=43425

Edited by jmkeuning

Fool: One who subverts convention or orthodoxy or varies from social conformity in order to reveal spiritual or moral truth.

• 1 month later...
I suggest a supply of sacs, some shellac, dental picks, micro mesh polishing pads, simichrome polish, a bottle of good car wax, magnifying glass, ultrasonic cleaner, a heat source (I use a hair dryer), section removal pliers, needle nosed pliers or pair of hemostats, a knock out block. small hammer and Dubiel's book. That's what I can think of at the moment. Check out www.pendemonium.com for supplies. I can send you a picture of my work bench and tools if you'd like.

Regards,

danny

Hi

Would you send me a picture of your work bench and tools - I would treasure it. I just repair my own pens as a hobby. I'm retired from university life now and I have managed to buy at least one (sometimes several! e.g. Parker 51, old Swans, etc) of all the pens I have written with since my student days. My e-mail address is B.OCochlain@Irishbroadband.net. Thanks

I'd also recommend Woodbin for pen tools. They have nice stuff and offer a combo-pack of some handy tools.

Thanks so much for asking this question! I've been wondering the same thing.

Your responses have been most helpful. :)