Irregularities in GF Snorkel Auction on eBay

possession

This guy has two auctions up for gold filled sheaffer snorks (which the seller seems to want to call a "signet"). The first one

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Rare-Sheaffer-Snorke...ayphotohosting)

has no tags with it in its picture; while the second one:

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Rare-Sheaffer-Snorke...tem280294527723

has a tag saying $30 on it in 3 of the 5 pictures and a tag with $35 in the other 2.

Very odd.

• Replies 2
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Univer

• RevAaron

• possession

Top Posters In This Topic

1. What is so odd about having no price sticker on the first one?

2. Not that odd. It should tickle your sense of skepticism, but I've seen similar things plenty of times. The guy most likely mixed up his images from an earlier auction, or a pen that hasn't yet been put up for sale. Or, he's being lazy and is just reusing a few photos from an old auction.

Never bought from the guy, no clue if he's legit. But it doesn't pay to play Xfiles all the time... If I was scamming on eBay, trying to get someone to bid on a fake auction for this pen, I wouldn't put in photos showing the two different price points. I'd probably only have a couple photos in general to play it safe.

Have you pointed out the discrepancy to the seller?

I admit ignorance in this, but what is odd about the pen being called a "Signet?" PenHome has one up for sale too:

http://penhome.co.uk/8919.jpg £225 - (€293) - $325

Ref 8919 - Sheaffer Signet FP/MP, Snorkel, - Gold-filled Signet touchdown Triumph snorkel fountain pen and pencil (0.9mm leads) - Original tags and box - 1960 - Condition A2/1f

WTB: Lamy 27 w/ OB/OBB nibs; Pelikan 100 B nib

Hi,

"Signet" is not a Sheaffer designation; it is a Parker designation assigned to several all-gold-filled models. Similarly, one will occasionally see a brushed-chrome Targa referred to as a "Flighter." That, too, is a Parker designation incorrectly transplanted to a Sheaffer pen.

I try not to get too worked up over this kind of terminology creep; for example, I think I can probably live with the use of the term "inlaid nib" to describe the nib of, say, an Edson or a Carene...even though I acknowledge that the term (trademarked) is properly used only in connection with the true Sheaffer Inlaid Nib. But in this case I resist the use of Parker model names to refer to pens from other manufacturers.

So not "odd" - just incorrect (in both instances).

Cheers,

Jon