The Fountain Pen Network uses (functional) cookies. Read the FPN Privacy Policy for more info.  To remove this message, please click here to accept the use of cookies

Registration on the Fountain Pen Network

Dearest Visitor of the little Fountain Pen Nut house on the digital prairie,

Due to the enormous influx of spammers, it is no longer possible to handle valditions in the traditional way. For registrations we therefore kindly and respectfully request you to send an email with your request to our especially created email address. This email address is register at fountainpennetwork dot com. Please include your desired user name, and after validation we will send you a return email containing the validation key, normally wiithin a week.

Thank you very much in advance!
The FPN Admin Team

Photo

Review: Sailor Professional Gear (yellow)

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 Sonnet

Sonnet

Vintage

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 756 posts

Posted 20 December 2008 - 02:20

About 7 months after the fact (whew!), I finally got around to reviewing the yellow Sailor Professional Gear.

It's also available in orange and ivory at the same price as the black Professional Gears.
Here's a handwritten review of the pen. It reads:
12/19/2008
FPN Review
Sailor Professional Gear
-yellow w/ rhodium trim
medium nib (21kt gold)
ink: Private Reserve American Blue
paper: Moleskine

first purchased: 5/2008 from Pear Tree Pens

It's taken me about 7 months to do this review-- d'oh! I'm actually planning to exchange the medium nib for a broad one. The Sailor nibs (or this one) run about 1 size finer than its Western counterpart. It's smooth though :-) And it really seems like to like PR American Blue ink! I liked this Sailor so much, I wound up buying 2 more! An ivory Pro Gear and a pink Sapporo (aka Pro Gear Slim).

Filling system: cartridge or converter

Appearance: Lovely! The yellow is a bright, cheery color. Section, blind cap and cap-jewel are black. Cap is topped by Sailor's anchor logo. Nib is single-toned rhodium-plated with "1911" logo. Cap threads have picked up stains. Ah well.

Hope this review sheds some light on the Professional Gear series!

Edited by MYU, 20 December 2008 - 03:41.

Sometimes I write things (as of 2013
http://katesplace7.wordpress.com/

Sponsored Content

#2 Sharkle

Sharkle

BPillar

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 661 posts

Posted 20 December 2008 - 02:57

Sonnet, I remember your post when you got this pen. I finally got the orange one myself a few months ago and love it. The nibs on these pens are both gorgeous and superb performers. Thanks for your review!

#3 Sonnet

Sonnet

Vintage

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 756 posts

Posted 20 December 2008 - 15:44

QUOTE (Sharkle @ Dec 19 2008, 09:57 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Sonnet, I remember your post when you got this pen. I finally got the orange one myself a few months ago and love it. The nibs on these pens are both gorgeous and superb performers. Thanks for your review!

Yeah, sorry it took me so long to get the review up. Sailors are definitely awesome.

#4 rollerboy

rollerboy

Vintage

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 696 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 21 December 2008 - 16:31

QUOTE (Sonnet @ Dec 19 2008, 09:20 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Cap threads have picked up stains. Ah well.

Are you referring to the threads on the inside of the cap, or the threads on the section? (The latter would get more than an "Ah well" from me!).

If you were to point the finger would it be at the Sailor plastic, the PR American Blue ink, or the combination?

#5 Sonnet

Sonnet

Vintage

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 756 posts

Posted 21 December 2008 - 17:03

QUOTE (rollerboy @ Dec 21 2008, 11:31 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
QUOTE (Sonnet @ Dec 19 2008, 09:20 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Cap threads have picked up stains. Ah well.

Are you referring to the threads on the inside of the cap, or the threads on the section? (The latter would get more than an "Ah well" from me!).

If you were to point the finger would it be at the Sailor plastic, the PR American Blue ink, or the combination?

The stains (very tiny) are on the section threads and have been there for awhile (I've had the pen since May and have only put American Blue in this past week). They're not a major nuisance-- just something to point out.

#6 LeftySmear

LeftySmear

Dipped Only

• Member - Gold

• Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 10 December 2009 - 01:58

Great review, Sonnet. But I feel like crying every time I'm reminded of how my own Sailor PG was stolen. That was a fine writer. I paid $169 + $13 s/h from a nice guy in Oita, Japan. Damn, they've gotten expensive!

One thing I didn't like about my Sailor: the threaded cap. Just not my style. The nib was outstanding, though.

I hope responding to ancient threads isn't frowned upon on this forum. Doesn't seem like a serious faux pas to me.

Edited by LeftySmear, 10 December 2009 - 02:01.

#7 BobME

BobME

Near Mint

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPip
  • 39 posts

Posted 12 December 2009 - 17:38

I hear that sailor nibs are very smooth; some people say the smoothest. For anyone who has tried both how does a sailor medium feel in comparison to a pelikan m400 fine? I hear that they write a similar line size.

#8 Bill Wood

Bill Wood

Bill Wood

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,408 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 12 December 2009 - 20:56

Well - there's another on my list. Thanks for the great Review.

#9 Sonnet

Sonnet

Vintage

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 756 posts

Posted 13 December 2009 - 22:16

Thanks, everyone :-)

I feel your pain, LeftySmear. Last year, I bought an ivory Professional Gear and then it disappeared in May 2009 :(
Very sad.

Sponsored Content

|