Rotring Esprit

Ann Finley

I have the Esprit "Special Edition" in a copperish color with the case that looks like King Kong's lipstick. It was shipped inked with a cartridge (grrrr) but I don't think I can even find another cartridge and dogpoet is correct—a full-length converter doesn't even get halfway down the barrel of the pen. I'm not likely to buy cartridges anytime soon, so it may be a while before it sees any action.

I sort of wish they hadn't bothered with the telescoping feature. It saves less than an inch of space and it makes the removal of the cap awkward. Pull on the cap, the pen telescopes. Pull again and the cap comes off. I guess the only alternative would be to have the cap attach to the barrel rather than the section so that the cap would come off without the pen telescoping, and that would mean grabbing it by the section to pull it out and push it in. Not a very elegant solution either.

It's pretty, but it is a sad day indeed when Splicer can't get motivated to ink up a Rotring.

Who are the pen shops in your neighborhood? Find out or tell us where they are, at http://penshops.info/

Blog: http://splicer.com/

• Replies 38
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• chupie

• NeoTiger

• dogpoet

• MrNoodle

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

So I did a little research and have learned that there are in fact 2 different types of MINI converters that may fit the telescopic Rotring. There is a squeeze fill type converter as well as a plunger style converter. See the link below for details (Thanks QM2 for the info!).

Mini Converters: a Review and Comparison, short convrters by Tryphon and Yafa

I've placed an order for the plunger-type from yafa.com, and am looking into ordering the squeeze-type from Tryphone.

I'm still waiting on my FP order to arive (along with the converter I just ordered), but when they do arrive, I'll be sure to try them out and let you all know how it goes.

Anxiously waiting...

Thanks MrNoodle. If either of those fits, I'd be interested to hear how much ink they hold.

Splicer, you can't find a short international cartridge? Surely those aren't hard to track down?

Thanks MrNoodle. If either of those fits, I'd be interested to hear how much ink they hold.

Splicer, you can't find a short international cartridge? Surely those aren't hard to track down?

No, they aren't hard to track down at all. I found one when cleaning my studio today and I've probably got a few blue ones kicking around. But being forced to limit myself to inks that come in carts is sort of a dealbreaker for me, so I'm not all that motivated to seek out cartridges just so that I can use this one pen.

I, too, would be interested to hear how the mini converters work out.

Who are the pen shops in your neighborhood? Find out or tell us where they are, at http://penshops.info/

Blog: http://splicer.com/

So I did a little research and have learned that there are in fact 2 different types of MINI converters that may fit the telescopic Rotring. There is a squeeze fill type converter as well as a plunger style converter. See the link below for details (Thanks QM2 for the info!).

I've placed an order for the plunger-type from yafa.com, and am looking into ordering the squeeze-type from Tryphone.

I'm still waiting on my FP order to arive (along with the converter I just ordered), but when they do arrive, I'll be sure to try them out and let you all know how it goes.

Anxiously waiting...

Hey all,

So my Rotring Pen has finally arrived. Here is a brief Review.

post-24242-1229058576_thumb.jpg

In addtion to the arrival of my pen, I also recieved my MINI Monteverde converter. Unfortunately, it does not fit. See below for some images showing the progression before and after inserting the converter into the pen. I started with the converter plunger fully pulled out, to demonstrate how much the barrel of the pen compressed the plunger once the barrel was fastened to the nib. See below:

post-24242-1229058853_thumb.jpg

post-24242-1229058872_thumb.jpg

post-24242-1229058915_thumb.jpg

post-24242-1229059077_thumb.jpg

post-24242-1229059468_thumb.jpg

I have yet to give the tryphon squeeze converter, but think I will give it a try. I will let those interested know how that one goes.

Overall, I am very pleased with my purchase, and excited to finally own my first FP.

Hmm... I wonder which will be my next conquest... But first, time to enjoy this one.

Thanks for reading. =)

• 1 month later...

Anxiously waiting...

Hey all,

So my Rotring Pen has finally arrived. Here is a brief Review.

post-24242-1229058576_thumb.jpg

In addtion to the arrival of my pen, I also recieved my MINI Monteverde converter. Unfortunately, it does not fit. See below for some images showing the progression before and after inserting the converter into the pen. I started with the converter plunger fully pulled out, to demonstrate how much the barrel of the pen compressed the plunger once the barrel was fastened to the nib. See below:

post-24242-1229058853_thumb.jpg

post-24242-1229058872_thumb.jpg

post-24242-1229058915_thumb.jpg

post-24242-1229059077_thumb.jpg

post-24242-1229059468_thumb.jpg

I have yet to give the tryphon squeeze converter, but think I will give it a try. I will let those interested know how that one goes.

Overall, I am very pleased with my purchase, and excited to finally own my first FP.

Hmm... I wonder which will be my next conquest... But first, time to enjoy this one.

Thanks for reading. =)

So, which one did you end up getting to fit?????? thanks for your help (newbie too)

aloha

• 1 year later...

I'm sorry for bumbing this 1-year-old thread, but I need to throw out my bitterness... :crybaby:

Bought the squeeze-type mini converter from Bantam. It seems that it is just about 3-4mm too long! :bonk:

So if ANYONE has gotten hold of a "short international cartridge"-sized converter that fits the Rotring (telescopic) Esprit, LETYOURSELF BE HEARD!! ;)

I can post pictures of my FP-failure if anyone is interested...(?)

- Morten

• 2 weeks later...

Yes, I am quite sure I will get some eye rollers for this, but I had to bump this thread. As a birthday present for myself, I bought myself a Rotring Esprit that I have been eyeing in a pen shop in Jena, Germany for about 2 weeks. I really do love it. And this happened after I just bought a Lamy Studio from the same shop already this week.

I told myself that with the Lamy Studio, my seemingly insatiable thirst for awesome FPs would be slaked for a while. But at night, I had visions of this Rotring. So I bought it!

Now after reading this thread, I realize this pen has been discontinued (right?) so I feel fortunate that I was able to snag this one.

Cheers!

Nice review, thanks.

And how can this be, because he is the Kwisatz Haderach.

• 3 weeks later...

I've had one for years and it's been a workhorse. They're incredibly tough and really smooth. Aside from Pelikans, Rotrings are more or less the only pens I use.

Pilotfishpens has more than ten of these little lovelies (black, broad) for sale on Ebay for about £10 each and I've just ordered four. I like them for their slim, elegant and unornamented design.

I think the Esprit's predecessor, the 400, is even prettier -- it's also a lot rarer and the one I bought recently cost me $60. Quite the difference in price.

Speaking of which: are the nibs tunable? I can unscrew the nib from the 400's section but can't see where it can be dismantled further. And does anyone know if the Esprit's nib is interchangeable with the 400's, and can I get replacement nibs for these models?

Desperately seeking an old-style Rotring 400--someone mentioned he'd recently purchased one. Where?! If anyone knows of an EF, brushed chrome 400--let me know ASAP.

I got mine off Ebay; the seller was Streetfair.

There aren't any around on Ebay at the moment, though. Plenty of the black Esprit, but no 400s.

• 3 years later...

I have a Rotring Esprit with a medium nib.It writes nice and wet with an exceptionally cosistent line,no matter what ink.I am VERY pleased with its performance.The Rotring series of pens have stiff but ridiculously reliable nibs that are ideal for students,as they are so robust.

• 8 months later...

I purchased a Rotring Esprit 2006 Bronze this week, and I've been having a disappointing experience with it.

In short, the pen seems to skip almost uncontrollably whenever I attempt to begin a descending stroke. Repeating the stroke several times typically works on about the fourth attempt, but simply reversing the motion always corrects the flow. Given that I would rather change my pen than my writing style, this error really takes the joy out of writing with the Esprit for me.

Has anyone else experienced something like this with their Rotring pens? Any tips for correcting it?

• 1 year later...

try cleaning it in 10% ammonia. It that doesn't work remove the nib and see if the two tines are properly aligned or not and if they have a gap between them. work a little on the feed and see if there is any gunk or tiny particles between the feed and also between the tines of the nib. any one of these should hopefully help yoy.

• 3 months later...

Hey guys, I am brand new to this site. This thread helped me decide to purchase a Rotring Esprit, which I just off of eBay brand new for $17.50. It's that strange tourmaline green color though... It almost looks black, but I'm not sure about it yet, because I'd much rather have a really deep blue if I had to choose a color, as opposed to just silver or black. Is this a nice looking color in person? Also, I'm brand new to fountain pens. I've ordered a Pilot Metropolitan along with my Rotring, and I currently have a bottle of Iroshisuku ink by Pilot. I'm going to need a converter, unless I buy a syringe to inject the ink into the cartridge, which I'd rather not do. What converters do you guys recommend, and for what reasons?

Thanks in advance.