Elephant Ivory?

SincerelySpicy

I just thought i might share something I came across. Apparently this place offers legal elephant ivory all of which was collected prior to the ban on Ivory trade. I'm not quite sure of the specifics of the law that allows them to sell this, but it seems legitimate... they have variously sized shapes and pieces as well as turning blocks that would be usable for pens.

It would certainly be cool if someone were to make a new pen in real ivory...aside from the moral imperfection, it is a very beautiful material...

http://www.ivorybuyer.com/sales/

Edited by SJM1123

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• richardandtracy

• Ruaidhri

• hamadryad11

• fountainbel

There are sufficiently high numbers of doctored records that I for one wouldn't be caught buying or selling it.

deirdre.net

"Heck we fed a thousand dollar pen to a chicken because we could." -- FarmBoy, about Pen Posse

When I contacted this company he told me that the ivory would not be stable enough to turn a pen and for .75x.75x8 it was going to cost about $600

Chris

Appleman Pens

Orangeville, Ontario, Canada

Photo's Of Past Pens

My Blog

Phone 912-376-7165

To be honest, I'd be very reluctant to use Ivory regardless of source. I think there is too much risk of getting an illegally sourced bit. And, I don't think my skills would do justice to such an expensive raw material. If the raw material costs anything I have to think twice...

Regards

Richard.

I used elephant ivoy on knife handles (decades ago) -- it isn't real stable -- as a natural material (in an untreated state), it moves around a fair amount with temperature/humidity changes --

Cue balls used to made made of ivory. and you can find them in antique/junk stores.

Knifemaker supply outfits carry some very handsome ivory-replacement material -- very nice-looking indeed.

Even old, or "legal" ivory could be a large headache indeed these days --

(btw -- I've not used ivory in 30 years, so save the brickbats ;-}

i have turned ivory with no problem though i have only used mammoth ivory as elephant ivory turns me off.

http://www.boonetrading.com/MammothIvory.html

Now *that* is cool. I would love a pen made of mammoth ivory. I've seen jewellery made of it and it's great-looking stuff.

The ultimate result of shielding men from the effects of folly is to fill the world with fools. -- Herbert Spencer, (1820-1903) British author, economist, philosopher.

http://img525.imageshack.us/img525/606/letterji9.png

One of the inherent problems with an all white material is that it is nearly impossible to hide seams.

For instance, the seam at a finial will show dramatically.

I've tried making pens from white materials, and I was never happy with it.

One could certainly design a clipless pen, with no blind cap, etc, though.

Edited by bgray

One of the inherent problems with an all white material is that it is nearly impossible to hide seams.

For instance, the seam at a finial will show dramatically.

I've tried making pens from white materials, and I was never happy with it.

One could certainly design a clipless pen, with no blind cap, etc, though.

Or maybe make a decorative finial with a narrow band in a contrasting colour. If you can't hide the seam, make it a feature. That could look good.

The ultimate result of shielding men from the effects of folly is to fill the world with fools. -- Herbert Spencer, (1820-1903) British author, economist, philosopher.

http://img525.imageshack.us/img525/606/letterji9.png

here is a pencil i did using the mammoth ivory as accents with amboyna burl. right now i am making a pair of earrings for a guy that i made a guitar pick for all out of mammoth ivory. :mellow:

sorry for the pic quality.

post-14061-1229900677_thumb.jpg

Edited by mic

"I'm to drunk to taste this chicken." -Colonel Sanders

I believe oosic is more stable than ivory - I know I've seen that used for knife handles, but a pen???

Chris

The idea of oosik just kinda creeps me out actually--partly the morality of it but also the fact of....just exactly what oosik is....

Edited by SJM1123

There is no such thing as "legal" ivory.

Poachers have been killing elephants because of the demand in the U.S, China and Japan.

Now, South Africa, satisfied that there is a demand as doctored a elephant surplus study in order to be killing it's elephant population, once again.

A couple of years ago a small group of scientists started to sample ivory from every known elephant population in order to establish a dna database and find out where ivory sold around the world came from. It takes time and they have yet to publish their findings.

Reputable international and regional animal welfare organizations and elephant researchers urged every country with elephant populations to ban ivory sales until the study was concluded, published and ranger monitoring of elephant populations and strong enforcement against poachers was put in place.

However, South Africa decided not to wait for the conclusion of the dna study and decided to make public its stupid and stubborn decision to resume elephant killing and sell of his ivory stockpile.

Since then, every single protected elephant population has been targeted for poaching.

Like us, elephants are mammals with strong family relationships, mirror self recognition, extensive communication and social ties with family, extended family and other elephant groups, their infants enjoy a long childhood and care from all members of the family.

Rescued baby elephants in an orphanage in the David Sheldrick Orphanage in Kenya have shown the same level of care toward infants younger than themselves.

http://www.sheldrickwildlifetrust.org/html...nt_emotion.html

If you want more information about elephants visit those sites:

Below is the website of The Amboseli Trust for Elephants

(site of the researchers have studied the elephant population of Amboseli National Park in Kenya since 1972)

http://www.elephanttrust.org/node/268

This is the website set up by one of the Amboseli researcher, she and her husband now works on advocating for elephant welfare worldwide. She has started a study of an elephant population in Sri Lanka and is working with collegues in India.

http://www.elephantvoices.org/index.php?topic=why_comm

Here is a bibliographic reference

http://www.elephantvoices.org/why_comm/ref.html

I have to add that I have the greatest of respect for pen turners.

They transform pieces of celluloid, sustainable wood, steel or other material into a beautiful writing work of art.

Is it fair for an intelligent and family oriented mammal to be separated from his/her family and spend his/her life starved in a concrete jail?

• 2 weeks later...

While I share the previous poster's concern for these magnificant animals, and deplore those that continue to slaughter them, the fact is that Ivory that entered the US prior to date "X" (which I seem to remember is in the early 1970's) is, in fact legal.

The trouble is, of course, in proving of the timing of the importation.

Just a data point -- no need for folks with old pool balls, pistols, pianos, knives, or pens to deep-six these items -- only time it can get ugly is during/after a sale.

When people stop buying all items made from ivory, there will cease to be a market for ivory. I will not buy anything made of ivory, young or old, antique, legal, certified havested from natural death animals.... nothing. Won't you please join me, and help stop the market for ivory?

There are some animals on this planet that are at least our equals. Not all, I'm not saying give up eating animals or making whistles out of chicken bones, but some animals are as entitled to our position on the food chain as we humans are. Whales, elephants, manatee, cuttlefish, gorillas, to name a few. We need to recognize this and stop marketing our dead partners.

At Your Service,

Clydesdave

When people stop buying all items made from ivory, there will cease to be a market for ivory. I will not buy anything made of ivory, young or old, antique, legal, certified havested from natural death animals.... nothing. Won't you please join me, and help stop the market for ivory?

There are some animals on this planet that are at least our equals. Not all, I'm not saying give up eating animals or making whistles out of chicken bones, but some animals are as entitled to our position on the food chain as we humans are. Whales, elephants, manatee, cuttlefish, gorillas, to name a few. We need to recognize this and stop marketing our dead partners.

I've with you, Dave. I think I'll stick with celluloid/resin, thanks.

Regards,

Soki

http://i1027.photobucket.com/albums/y331/fuchsiaprincess/Fuchsiaprincess_0001.jpg http://fc02.deviantart.net/fs71/f/2010/036/2/2/Narnia_Flag_by_Narnia14.gif

I had someone ask today about using ivory in a ring. I declined, so she asked her husband, who would rather have used different materials anyway. All's well that ends well.

Good on you! Love your Avatar btw - did you make it?

Regards,

Soki

http://i1027.photobucket.com/albums/y331/fuchsiaprincess/Fuchsiaprincess_0001.jpg http://fc02.deviantart.net/fs71/f/2010/036/2/2/Narnia_Flag_by_Narnia14.gif

Hi Soki. Thank you. Yes, I made the ring. That one has an inlay of 22 karat yellow gold and sterling silver mokume gane, where the silver has been oxidized to black in a titanium ring. That's my main line of work. I enjoy creating pens as well.

Bruce Boone

www.boonerings.com