pen magazines

memphislawyer

i read the thread of the gentleman winning a pen by working a crossword in stylus magazine. well, i went to three barnes and nobles in memphis, two of which did not even bother to ship the magazine in. not only would i mind working the crossword (i do the USA today one every day and get about half of the sunday new york times finished), but i would like to read up on modern and vintage pens, reviews, etc.

1. can you recommend some nice pen magazines, and even magazines that occasionally have pen articles?

2. where do you get them at, since we have none in memphis (one barnes and nobles had one copy that sold out of stylus)

3. anybody got some recent editions they dont read that i could pay the cost to ship it to me>

sam

• Replies 6
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• memphislawyer

• weepstah

• Apollo

• sfeinman

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

Down in my neck of the woods, we have a book store chain called Books-A-Million and they usually stock Stylus Magazine. The Barnes & Noble in town did have the big Stylus annual, but that's about it.

Other than Stylus magazine, there's also Pen World, but I've never seen them outside of a B&M pen shop. Oh, and I almost forgot Stylophiles online magazine.

http://www.stylophilesonline.com/

http://i129.photobucket.com/albums/p202/Apollo3000/es-canary-islands-flag1s.gif Bendita mi tierra guanche.

Pen world and stylus are the primary print magazine I am familiar with. Penw World as back editions for sale.

An electronic magazine is http://www.stylophilesonline.com/01-06/0106contents.htm

Also the watch magazines Watch Time and International Watch articles once or twice a year.

None of us can have as many virtues as the fountain-pen, or half its cussedness; but we can try” Mark Twain

i read the thread of the gentleman winning a pen by working a crossword in stylus magazine. well, i went to three barnes and nobles in memphis, two of which did not even bother to ship the magazine in. not only would i mind working the crossword (i do the USA today one every day and get about half of the sunday new york times finished), but i would like to read up on modern and vintage pens, reviews, etc.

1. can you recommend some nice pen magazines, and even magazines that occasionally have pen articles?

2. where do you get them at, since we have none in memphis (one barnes and nobles had one copy that sold out of stylus)

3. anybody got some recent editions they dont read that i could pay the cost to ship it to me>

sam

Unfortunately some of the present mags are more like Wedding magazines. In that there are bunches of ads for stuff and then the articles are really long format ads for the same stuff. In the past I bought Penworld from a Barnes & Noble about 45 min across town from me but stopped when I figured that each mag/ "ad pack" cost about the same as a bottle of ink. <_<

I had great hope for Stylus but it's playing more to the advertisers than the readers as well. ( I don't think Tighe sells enough pens to get all the press that Stylus gives him :lol: )

But I would suggest Stylophiles as a good & reasonable mag with great pics and actual reviews.

I'd suggest getting some of the online store catalogs as well as check out FPH's website as their "new" section is usually very up to date.

my opinions only,

Kurt H

I agree with the mags mentions, and I think StylophilesOnline.com is otop notch. But truthfully, you get more pen photos and info right here and on PenTrace.

well, good then. i certainly like knowing about adzines like GQ, though every now and then they have a good piece of advice from the style guy. other than that, the styles pictured are nothing i could ever bring off. and i like the fact that instead of paying for an adzine i can get a bottle of ink

sam

I don't think I saw anyone mention it, but other than PWI and Stylus, other avenues for information would be (albeit more vintage focused):

PENnant - the Pen Collectors of America

Paul Erano's Quaterly Pen Review

WES (Writing Equipment Society in UK)

All of these you would need to sign up for online (Daniel Kirchmeir sp?) handles the subscriptions for Paul Erano's quarterly.

weepstah

"My shoes were reasonably clean, my rent was paid and I had two boxes of cereal and plenty of coffee at home. The world was mine, and I had plenty of time."