The Fountain Pen Network uses (functional) cookies. Read the FPN Privacy Policy for more info.  To remove this message, please click here to accept the use of cookies

Registration on the Fountain Pen Network

Dearest Visitor of the little Fountain Pen Nut house on the digital prairie,

Due to the enormous influx of spammers, it is no longer possible to handle valditions in the traditional way. For registrations we therefore kindly and respectfully request you to send an email with your request to our especially created email address. This email address is register at fountainpennetwork dot com. Please include your desired user name, and after validation we will send you a return email containing the validation key, normally wiithin a week.

Thank you very much in advance!
The FPN Admin Team

Photo

Waterman 55 BCHR NPT

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 artaddict

artaddict

I love coffee

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,658 posts

Posted 16 December 2008 - 13:58

Having collected mostly ringtops, I never thought I would like a full-sized fountain pen. This is the pen that changed that, a Waterman 55 BCHR lever filler with nickel plated trim (cap band right on the cap lip).
It is 5 1/4" capped and about 1/2" in diameter. Despite its length and huge #5 nib, it is light and easy to handle. It writes quite fine, and not too wet. With moderate pressure I can get decent line variation.

Watermans Flex Club & Sheaffer Lifetime Society Member

Sponsored Content

#2 Pensee

Pensee

A Thought

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 561 posts

Posted 16 December 2008 - 14:22

Schweet! thumbup.gif

Thanks for the writing sample. I'd been checking out vintage nibs looking for replacement #2.

Found a lot of #5's but figured too broad for my tastes. Looks like you were able to get good fine to medium lines out of it too.

Anyway enough about me & nib sizes.

Congratulations on your new pen! Enjoy!

--Burce

#3 artaddict

artaddict

I love coffee

• Member - Gold

• 2,658 posts

Posted 16 December 2008 - 14:26

QUOTE (Pensee @ Dec 16 2008, 09:22 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Schweet! thumbup.gif

Thanks for the writing sample. I'd been checking out vintage nibs looking for replacement #2.

Found a lot of #5's but figured too broad for my tastes. Looks like you were able to get good fine to medium lines out of it too.

Anyway enough about me & nib sizes.

Congratulations on your new pen! Enjoy!

Thanks, Bruce!
I wasn't sure whether to call it fine or medium fine or fine medium. Seems finer than a medium, but not fine fine. blink.gif

Edited by artaddict, 16 December 2008 - 15:30.

#4 wykpenguin

wykpenguin

Collectors Item

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 828 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 17 December 2008 - 03:03

I don't know about the nib, but a fine pen it surely is.

#5 Peter from Sherwood Park

Peter from Sherwood Park

Antique

• Member - Gold

• 1,973 posts

Posted 17 December 2008 - 03:23

Thank you for this review -- I am new to the world of flex and semi-flex, so I can use all the information I can get. Would you term this nib a semi-flex?

#6 Ray-Vigo

Ray-Vigo

Parts Bin Digger

• Member - Gold

• 2,725 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 17 December 2008 - 03:30

It's great looking, and has a nice little cap lip ring-- something you don't often get on the regular 52 fare.

The thing I love about the waterman 5x series is that they're so simple and functional. There really is no part of the pen I can described as "poorly designed"-- everything works well when it's in place. They're a lot like a Ford Model T, I think.

That nib you have is a pure flex writer's nib. I have a Mabie Todd with a similar point-- it starts out VERY fine, but can flex way out to a broad. It's not terribly useful for everyday writing because of the extreme fineness, but if flex writing is your goal, then the nib serves very well in that capacity.

Edited by Ray-Vigo, 17 December 2008 - 03:31.

#7 artaddict

artaddict

I love coffee

• Member - Gold

• 2,658 posts

Posted 17 December 2008 - 04:23

Thanks, wykpenguin.

QUOTE (Peter from Sherwood Park @ Dec 16 2008, 10:23 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Thank you for this review -- I am new to the world of flex and semi-flex, so I can use all the information I can get. Would you term this nib a semi-flex?

Peter,
It's somewhere between semi-flex & full flex. I'd say closer to semi, in comparison to my other flexies. I've got a lot of flexies though and have high standards for flex.

Ray-Vigo,
Thanks for the comments re 5x series. It is indeed simple & functional.

Sponsored Content

|