The Greatest Pen Tournament!

PenHero

Fellow Collectors,

WHICH PEN WILL REIGN SUPREME?

Thought I'd have some fund during roundball month and create a contest to determine the World's Greatest Pen for 2006. This will be held on the PenSurveys section of PenHero.com as an elimination tournament with brackets starting with 32 pens and run to the winner in the next four weeks. There will be on-line poll voting each round. Pens will be paired based on the most to least recommendations for the top 32 pens. Each round the winner of each pairing will move on to the next round.

The "Selection Committee" (me) has picked the first 16 pens for consideration. YOU need to pick the 32 challengers, which will be ranked by the total number of recommendations for each. I will count postings here, on Pentrace.net, and ACPP. The list of 16 pens below start with 1 vote each.

This is the schedule for the tournament:

Sunday, March 12 midnight EST - all recommended pens counted and added to the field of 32.

Monday, March 13 1am EST - Tournament BEGINS - Round of 32

Thursday, March 16 midnight EST - Round of 32 ENDS, Start Round of 16

Sunday, March 18 midnight EST - Round of 16 ENDS, Start Round of 8

Thursday, March 23 midnight EST - Round of 8 ENDS, Start Round of 4

Sunday, March 26 midnight EST - Round of 4 ENDS, Start FINAL Round

Thursday, March 30 midnight EST - FINAL Round of 2 ENDS - WINNER CROWNED

Here are the 16 starting pens - 1 vote each - will they make Sunday selection?

Conklin Crescent Filler

Conklin Nozac (c1930s)

Esterbrook J

Eversharp Skyline

Montblanc 149

Parker 51

Parker 75

Parker Duofold (1st Gen)

Parker Vacumatic

Pelikan 400

Sheaffer Balance

Sheaffer Snorkel

Sheaffer Imperial

Sheaffer Targa

Waterman 100 Year

Waterman 52

Vote your favorites and kick this off 1am Monday, March 13!

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• PenHero

• Ruaidhri

• randyholhut

• DRP

MMMM... since these all seem to be older pens I won't nominate the Namiki VP...

But I think the Sheaffer TD definately needs a place on the list...

and my nominee is the Sheaffer Flat-Top Jade...let's not forget the Radite and all the other emotive colors it ushered in. Those pens are bullet-proof...DIESEL!

"I have very simple tastes, I am always satisfied with the very best." - Oscar Wilde

Parker Vacumatic, among those you listed.

But where is the Pelikan 800, which is considered a classic, a workhorse, a great writer, etc.

Or the Omas Paragon, which has been in production for 70 years.

How did you pick these particular pens?

Eric

Still seeking the One Pen to Rule Them All...

How did you pick these particular pens?

Eric

Dear Eric,

There are a lot of pens that would be worthy. I picked 16 that I like personally, not necessarily everyone's 16 best. I hope we get a lot of recommendations from a lot of people so we have a worthy and complete list by Sunday night!

well, we need those number 15 seeds that come up and produce a shocker for a round or two. im still new and not widely versed, but i nominate some pen from bexley. id like my sheherazade because of its look and it is one of, if not their only, piston filled pens and it is beautiful. maybe it gets that first round upset or even into the sweet 16. help me out here guys!!!!

sam

Lamy 2000

Namiki Vanishing Point (a.k.a. Pilot Capless or Pilot Vanishing Point)

Parker Vacumatic

Pelikan M800

Parker "51"

Edited by Sidney

"The only thing that stops a bad guy with a gun is a good guy with a gun." - Wayne LaPierre, NRA Executive Vice President

My choices:

- I'll second the Bexley Sheherazade . . .

- and add the Submariner Grande.

- I'll add the Stipula Etruria, and if you want a specific model, the amber grande, old style, in celluloid nitrate (knowing at least wim will vote for it too :D )

- vote for the Omas Paragon

- Namiki/Pilot VP

- Sheaffer Balance

"But God demonstrates His own love toward us, in that while we were still sinners, Christ died for us." (Rom. 5:8, NKJV)

Let me suggest the Bexley Submariner/Submariner Grande pair as a nominee for a challenger. As they are quite similar, I'd classify them as one nominee, although the Review Committee might consider both.

If you're taking votes from the existing list, let me vote for the Sheaffer Targa. Or, are they automatically on and you're principally in need of challengers?

My successive postings may suggest a willingness to hit the "Add Reply" button too quickly and before I finish my thoughts. For that I apologize.

I beg your permission to engage in this indulgence -- to add a frequently overlooked -- and remarkably good pen to the list of challengers, that being the Sheaffer Intrigue. The Sheaffer Intrigue had a lot going for it.

My No. 1 seeds? (out of Jim's Sweet 16)

Parker "51"

Sheaffer Balance

Esterbrook J

Parker Vacumatic

Bracket busters?

Pelikan 100

Aurora 88

Namiki Vanishing Point

Lamy 2000

Most underrated (of Jim's 16)? Eversharp Skyline

Most overrated (of Jim's 16)? Mont Blanc 149

My pick to win it all? The "51" in a walk.

May the best pen win. This could be more fun than that "other" tournament.

My pick of those already listed:

Parker 51

Sheaffer Balance

Parker Duofold

Esterbrook J

Sheaffer Snorkel

IN THAT ORDER.

Add to the list:

Parker Challenger (Std, Deluxe & Royal) Series

Just because of the name if anything.

Sheaffer Flat Top.

Now...this depends on defining "Greatest..."

The last sentence using the word "Favorite" pretty much defines it for me.

;)

Mike Kirk

(~==]=====]]

Penfindum Restorum

Memberhttp://i83.photobucket.com/albums/j316/mikelkirk99/Pen%20Misc/bps_pin_2013_zps75ed3895.png http://i83.photobucket.com/albums/j316/mikelkirk99/Pen%20Misc/pca_logo100x100_zps688ac2a8.png

MMMM... since these all seem to be older pens I won't nominate the Namiki VP...

But I think the Sheaffer TD definately needs a place on the list...

Are you nominating the Sheaffer Touchdown c1949-1950?