Noodlers Kung Te-Cheng

TConnell

Two other suggestions. Namiki VP has pretty cheap nib units you can swap out if the ink becomes hostile. You can also use Monteverde Inkball. The nib unit on those are also around $10 in price.

VP nib price is going up pretty soon. If someone is thinking about buying them, they should buy them before the end if year.

• Replies 48
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Dr.Grace

• mstone

• WillSW

• lbhajdu

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

• 3 years later...

I have used the Noodlers Kung Te-Cheng in my no longer made Bexley Americana (with black section). I used it for two converter fills and ran it dry both times. Nothing bad happened. I can’t tell if it stained the converter because the converter I used was already stained, from close examination it does not appear to have.

This is Noodlers best water proof blue. Lux blue is so light it’s not really business appropriate. Bad Belted Kingfisher smudges in water. Baystate is highly staining and nowhere as UV resistant. Blue Eel is not water resistant at all. Of the inks I named I don’t own the Kingfisher and BSB, the others I have actually used (filled) and compared myself.

It’s been out of stock for a long time at GouletPens, fortunately I am stocked up with one full 4.5 Oz. bottle. I think this ink may be exclusive to them. I have been alternating between the CTK and La Reine Mauve both are highly waterproof. The LRM writes smoother and dries with a glossy finish if piled up thick. But the LRM is much more purple then the CTK. And the CTK feels less lubricated on the nib. So I keep switching between the two.

They are both excellent inks!

Edited by lbhajdu

I heard that Kung Te-Cheng had been discontinued. Does anyone know whether this is true?

Edited by funkypeanut

The paperwork that came with my ink says:

The cost of this ink was a bit beyond the norm – so initially there will be 146 bottles. We reserve the right to increase this number later if it can be managed … but we also want all to know that we reserve the right to discontinue this ink if we fail to obtain raw materials for its continued production, as of the time of this writing, production beyond 146 units is very much in doubt.

It’s always those costly magic raw materials. I think I can remember someone saying that more will be offered, but my memory may be defective. Though this is not there most costly ink:

Eel Blue is currently $4.16/oz (most normal colors)

Kung Te-Cheng is currently $6.05/oz

La Reine Mauve is currently $13.50/oz

It should be noted that the KTC only comes in 4.5 oz bottles and the LRM only comes in 1 oz bottles. In the event that an ink becomes too costly, I don’t see why they don’t just sell the ink in the 1 oz bottle and $13.50 price point. They prefer to discontinue instead of razing the price or selling less at the same price. I can see where that may put off some people. But ink goes a long way so it's not like you buy it every day. In a video they said Whiteness of the Whale is in trouble, and that's already in the 1 oz bottle so it really has no where to go. If they sold the LRM in the 4.5 oz bottle it would cost $60.75 !!! (4.5 * 13.50) That would inspire discussion, though the 1%ers would be OK with it.

Edited by lbhajdu

I've been using this ink for a year and a half with no problems. Great ink. Writes on papers where other inks will tend to bead up.

I've been using this ink for a year and a half with no problems. Great ink. Writes on papers where other inks will tend to bead up.

One caveat I would add to your statement is that, because of the water proof nature of this ink. Just flushing with water alone may not be sufficient to keep the pen flowing over the course of repeated fills But just use a little pen flush (homemade or store-bought) and it will be just fine. I did a review on this recently because my ink interests are starting to migrate to the highly water proof inks:

https://www.fountainpennetwork.com/forum/index.php?/topic/210871-jbs-perfect-pen-flush-review/

One commenter noted that there Kaweco Sport is currently a Kung Te-Cheng fossil.

<!--quoteo(post=844321:date=Dec 14 2008, 08:13 PM:name=Dr.Grace)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Dr.Grace @ Dec 14 2008, 08:13 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=844321"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->I don't think you understand what I'm saying. Nathan is practically spelling out that this ink will stain or corrode some pens. It's probably as bad as Baystate Blue in that regard, or worse. I wouldn't use it in any of my pens.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

That's why I keep a few Reform 1745's around. They are good pens, and cheap enough that if I wad one up with an exotic mix or bottle that says, "Caution: may cause pens to implode and create black hole in your desk drawer."

I haven't had an implosion to date, but just in case...

This entry reminds me of something that happened to me years ago when I was a smoker (Quit smoking in 1998 - 13 years clean now).

I was sitting at my office desk in my print shop preparing invoices. I had recently bought a re-fillable lighter made in Spain - it was a couple of weeks old - perhaps had 2-3 fillings by then. Anyway I kept the lighter in a glass ashtray when not in use. All of a sudden it decided to ignite itself all on its own. I was able to put the flame out. I then exhausted all of the butane gas left out in the street air and disposed of that lighter immediately. I can only imagine the damage it could have caused if a fire had broken out from it. :headsmack:

QUOTE (Possum Hill @ Dec 17 2008, 10:21 AM) QUOTE (El Mocho @ Dec 16 2008, 04:05 PM) QUOTE (Dr.Grace @ Dec 14 2008, 03:51 PM) So what's so special about the chemical formulation? This is not just another case of CYA.

There's something in the label about not feeding the ink after midnight. It probably won't make too much difference.

(/kidding)

I think you're not supposed to WRITE with it after midnight. Then it seizes control of your hand and makes you write soap opera scripts - in Chinese of course.

So what ink did H P Lovecraft use?

Where do you think Nathan got the formula, the Great Old ones themselves...

http://www.nerdtests.com/images/ft/nq/9df5e10593.gif

-- Avatar Courtesy of Brian Goulet of Goulet Pens (thank you for allowing people to use the logo Brian!) --