The Fountain Pen Network uses (functional) cookies. Read the FPN Privacy Policy for more info.  To remove this message, please click here to accept the use of cookies

Registration on the Fountain Pen Network

Dearest Visitor of the little Fountain Pen Nut house on the digital prairie,

Due to the enormous influx of spammers, it is no longer possible to handle valditions in the traditional way. For registrations we therefore kindly and respectfully request you to send an email with your request to our especially created email address. This email address is register at fountainpennetwork dot com. Please include your desired user name, and after validation we will send you a return email containing the validation key, normally wiithin a week.

Thank you very much in advance!
The FPN Admin Team

Photo

Three Generations of Parker Pens

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 OldGriz

OldGriz

I Assimilated The Borg

• Remembered Fondly
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,163 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 13 December 2008 - 20:05

I have not done a review in some time... So let's look at the three generations of Parker pens that are inked and in rotation on my desk right now...

Parker Duofold Streamline Junior
Burgundy and Black
circa 1931 – Fine nib
[attachment=39036:DuofoldJr.jpg]
Appearance 5/5

This pen is burgundy and black marbled and in near mint condition with sharp imprint
The cap sports 2 gold plated cap rings and a gold plated ball end clip
The blind cap of the body is black as is the top of the cap.
This being a later model Duofold it is made of Permanite not hard rubber

Design 5/5
This is the Junior size of the Duofold Streamline and measures
4.70” long capped, 5.755” posted, .545” diameter at the cap ring and .385” at the narrow of the section

Nib 5/5
The pen sports a 14K gold nib that is serialized and stamped Parker Duofold Made in USA
I would classify it as a fine and it writes smooth and wet with Visconti Burgundy ink.
You can see the writing sample below the review of all the pens..

Filling System 5/5
The filling system is the basic Duofold Button Filler…
I restored the pen using a #21 necked sac from PenSacs… this is the first time I have used their sacs and decided to go with the sac that they say was originally put on the pen instead of a straight sac… No problems so far..

Cost and Value 5/5
Needless to say, being Old Griz, I got this at what I consider a great price off eBay…. I am a happy camper.

Conclusion 25/25
This is only my third Duofold... I also have a Big Red in my collection and a Lady Duofold in my for sale case. This one so far is my favorite..
What more can I say about a pen that is over 75yrs old and still writes like the day it was made…
Parker made absolutely fantastic pens back then…. They still pass the test of time today…

Parker Vacumatic
Burgundy Shadow Wave
…9 date (1939) code – Fine nib
[attachment=39037:BurgundyShadow.jpg]
Appearance 5/5

This pen is burgundy shadow wave and in near mint condition with sharp imprint
The cap sports 2 gold plated cap rings and a gold plated arrow clip
The double jewel blind cap of the body is black as is the tassie of the cap.

Design 5/5
This is a full size Vacumatic and measures
5.093” long capped, 5.865” posted, .545” diameter at the cap ring and .320” at the narrow of the section

Nib 5/5
The pen sports a 14K 7 feather gold nib that is stamped Parker USA
I would classify it as a fine and it writes smooth and wet with Visconti Burgundy ink.

Filling System 5/5
The filling system is aluminum speedline vac fill.
I restored the pen using a Deb diaphragm from PenSacs…

Cost and Value 5/5
Needless to say, being Old Griz, I got this at what I consider a great price off eBay…. I am a happy camper.
And the VacQuack is not because I would not sell it to him…..

Conclusion 25/25
What more can I say about a pen that is over 70yrs old and still writes like the day it was made…
Parker made absolutely fantastic pens back then…. They still pass the test of time today…

Parker 51 Vac Fill
Cedar Blue with Scallop Line Cap
Fine nib
[attachment=39038:51CedarScallop.jpg]
Appearance 5/5

This pen is cedar blue, the date imprint is poor but the rest of the markings are sharp and the cap is perfect
The cap is one of the very less common scallop lined caps and IMO one of the more beautiful 51 Caps

Design 5/5
This is your classic full size Parker 51 Vac fill and I think everyone knows how big they are..

Nib 5/5
The pen sports a 14K gold nib
I would classify it as a fine/medium and it writes smooth and wet with Noodlers Borealis Black ink.

Filling System 5/5
The filling system is the standard plastic plunger vac fill.
I restored the pen using a Deb diaphragm from PenSacs…

Cost and Value 5/5

Conclusion 25/25
What more can I say about a pen that is over 60yrs old and still writes like the day it was made…

Writing Samples for the 3 Generations..
[attachment=39039:GenerationsWrite.jpg]

It is pretty obvious from the scores that I love these pens... of course they would not be inked and in rotation if I did not....
If you have not had the pleasure to try any of these classic vintage writing instruments, I suggest you do....

TomPosted Image
A veteran is someone who wrote a blank check Made payable to 'The United States of America ' for an amount of 'up to and including my life.'
That is Honor, and there are way too many people in This country who no longer understand it.

Sponsored Content

#2 DeaconKC

DeaconKC

Professional Predator Hunter

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 882 posts

Posted 13 December 2008 - 20:38

Thanks for the review Griz....of course, now I am drooling over that Duofold in Burgundy.....whimper.
Let courage rise with danger, and strength to strength oppose.
There is no snooze button on a cat wanting breakfast.
Posted Image

#3 OldGriz

OldGriz

I Assimilated The Borg

• Remembered Fondly
  • 9,163 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 13 December 2008 - 20:44

QUOTE (DeaconKC @ Dec 13 2008, 03:38 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Thanks for the review Griz....of course, now I am drooling over that Duofold in Burgundy.....whimper.

I know what you mean... I saw that pen on eBay and it just kept screaming at me.... I think I passed it by 3-4 times before I finally decided I had to have it...
I have this thing about Burgundy Parkers.... it seems that Parker just got that color soooooooo right.... and Visconti Burgundy ink just matches them sooo well...
TomPosted Image
A veteran is someone who wrote a blank check Made payable to 'The United States of America ' for an amount of 'up to and including my life.'
That is Honor, and there are way too many people in This country who no longer understand it.

#4 Randal6393

Randal6393

Love italic handwriting.

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,518 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 13 December 2008 - 21:18

Love the reviews. Such a proud collector!

Question: What is a "14K 7 feather gold nib"? I understand the 14K part, not sure what is meant by "7 feather".

Enjoy,

Yours,
Randal

From a person's actions, we may infer attitudes, beliefs, --- and values. We do not know these characteristics outright. The human dichotomies of trust and distrust, honor and duplicity, love and hate --- all depend on internal states we cannot directly experience. Isn't this what adds zest to our life?

#5 OldGriz

OldGriz

I Assimilated The Borg

• Remembered Fondly
  • 9,163 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 13 December 2008 - 21:41

QUOTE (Randal6393 @ Dec 13 2008, 04:18 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Love the reviews. Such a proud collector!

Question: What is a "14K 7 feather gold nib"? I understand the 14K part, not sure what is meant by "7 feather".

Enjoy,

Here is a picture of some Vacuamtic nibs.... but take my word for it, NOT ALL the styles of nibs..
You can see that there is a feather pattern on the arrow on the nib....
Depending on the year/style of the Vacumatic...the feather count is different
AND YES, It does count to a collector who wants a perfect example of a certain Vacumatic
This information comes from the ParkerPens.Net website

From left to right:
#1: An extremely rare 1932 arrow nib with the arrow soldered on top (approximation only), unfortunately I don't have a true image of this nib, nor the "Golden arrow" nib of the same year (anyone?).
#2: A very rare "Parker Vacumatic De Luxe" nib that was fitted on the top line in 1933 and possibly 1934.
#3: A "Parker Vacuum Filler Made in USA" nib that was fitted on the 1933-1934 Vacuum Fillers.
#4: A "Parker Vacumatic Made in USA" without an arrow which was fitted to the bottom line 1933-1934.
#5: A two-tone gold and platinum "USA Parker" nib used on the topline pens until 1936.

#6: The 1-tone "USA Parker " nib used on the bottom line 1934-1935.
#7: The 1-tone" Parker USA" used on the bottom line from 1935 and on the top line from 1942.
#8: The 2-tone "Parker USA" nib used on the top line 1936-1941.
#9: A "Parker Vacumatic Reg TM Made in Canada" from the Canadian production line.
#10: A "Parker Canada" nib. While the US Vacumatic nibs rarely are flexible, this is not an uncommon feature of the Canadian nibs.

Edited by OldGriz, 13 December 2008 - 21:44.

TomPosted Image

#6 TMac

TMac

Collectors Item

• Member - Gold

• 1,125 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 13 December 2008 - 22:23

Griz, as always, another great review. I love Parkers but have not yet secured a burgundy.

#7 Kelly G

Kelly G

Antique

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,446 posts

Posted 14 December 2008 - 01:04

Griz, great review. I've had a Sr. Burgundy & Black Duofold for a couple of years. My wife brought it home from an antique auction along with a thin long Sheaffer Jade Balance with near perfect color and a stub nib. That was a very good day. I won't tell you what she paid as it will make you weep - there was also a Parker 61 gf set in the bunch. All were in sound condition and after restoration are very nice pens.

The Duofold is one of my favorite pens - as you say, very smooth and feels great in the hand. It holds a boat load of ink and is a joy to use. It's currently out of rotation, but who knows, this may prompt me to drag it out and ink it up.

The other two pens are good lookers as well - thanks for the review.

Edited by Kelly G, 14 December 2008 - 01:04.

May we live, not by our fears but by our hopes; not by our words but by our deeds; not by our disappointments but by our dreams.

#8 teebo

teebo

Collectors Item

• Member - Gold

• 979 posts

Posted 15 December 2008 - 21:57

Very informative. Thanks for the wonderful reviews.

Todd thumbup.gif
"I'm so optimistic I'd go after Moby Dick in a row boat and take the tartar sauce with me."

Sponsored Content

|