The Fountain Pen Network uses (functional) cookies. Read the FPN Privacy Policy for more info.  To remove this message, please click here to accept the use of cookies

Registration on the Fountain Pen Network

Dearest Visitor of the little Fountain Pen Nut house on the digital prairie,

Due to the enormous influx of spammers, it is no longer possible to handle valditions in the traditional way. For registrations we therefore kindly and respectfully request you to send an email with your request to our especially created email address. This email address is register at fountainpennetwork dot com. Please include your desired user name, and after validation we will send you a return email containing the validation key, normally wiithin a week.

Thank you very much in advance!
The FPN Admin Team

Photo

Parker Red (Burgundy) Duofold Maxima

• Please log in to reply
17 replies to this topic

#1 amin

amin

Vintage

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 512 posts

Posted 11 March 2006 - 13:16

Received my Duofold Maxima in the mail yesterday, and I am impressed! Here's a brief review.

First a few size comparisons. From left to right: Edson, M800, Maxima, aero "51," vac "51," 75:
Posted Image

Posted:
Posted Image

Top to bottom: M800, Maxima, Polished Raw Ebonite Densho, Optima
Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

The pen is a nice girth for my hand, slightly less than the M800. It feels well-balanced unposted, a bit top-heavy posted. It is lighter than the M800, but substantial enough to feel solid.

Nib size is comparable to these others, from left to right Optima, Dani Densho, Maxima, M800:
Posted Image

Pardon the ink on the nib here (it's not rust ;)):
Posted Image

Posted Image

My writing sample doesn't do the least bit of justice to this nib. It is really springier than nearly all of my modern pens, and can produce much greater line variation than is evident in my handwriting. Definitely one of my favorite nibs ever. There is a ton of iridium on this broad nib. Here are a couple more shots - I didn't take these two, they were provided by the individual who sold me the pen:

Posted Image

Posted Image

Couple pics of cap and jewel:
Posted Image

The cap take 1.25 turns to unscrew.

Posted Image

You can just make out the imprint on mine:
Posted Image

I really like the understated look of the solid color and clean lines.
Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

I forgot to take pics of the aerometric filling system on this pen, but many if not most of you are familiar with this system from the aerometric "51"s. The pliglass sac takes up the majority of the inside space in the pen, so the pen holds quite a bit of ink. I was surprised to see that the pliglass is totally clear on my well-used Maxima.

Overall, I think this pen is going to knock the blue M605 out of my pocket for a while, taking it's place next to to my trusty Parker 75.

I'm surprised this isn't a more discussed/sought after pen. I simply posted on the Green Board that I was looking for one, and I got 2-3 offers ranging $100 - $150 in price. I've definitely seen them go for even lower on Ebay, as is I suppose the case for all pens.

At any rate, I encourage those of you who were thinking about this pen to go for it. It is a great value and has surpassed my high expectations.

Edited by amin, 11 March 2006 - 18:16.

Sponsored Content

#2 grasshopper

grasshopper

Inlaid Outlaw

• FPN Hon. Admin

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,479 posts

Posted 11 March 2006 - 13:36

Excellent stuff, Amin!

An English Duofold is also on my latest wants list, and your review here has probably bumped it up few spots. :doh: :lol:

Big difference in girth between this Maxima and that 75 though...

G.

You can't always get what you want... but if you try sometimes... you just might find... you'll get what you need...

#3 amin

amin

Vintage

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 512 posts

Posted 11 March 2006 - 15:07

Thanks G! Somehow the 75 fits my grip well despite it's girth being somewhat lesser compared to other pens I find comfortable. Sometimes I grip the narrower triangular portion of the section, others I choke up a bit higher on the wider portion.

I forgot to mention, for those who haven't already seen this, Rick Conner has an excellent article on the English Duofolds here. He has a nice pic of the aerometric filling mechanism there, something I forgot to include above.

One more thing to potential Ebay shoppers. Most of the pens I have seen billed there as Duofold Maximas have been other pens entirely. Some of these pens are much smaller. Others have very small nibs. Still others are vacs or button fillers. Of course nothing wrong with any of those models, so long as you know what you're getting. I guess all of that applies to any pen one might buy on Ebay.

Edited by amin, 11 March 2006 - 17:23.

#4 RonB

RonB

Collectors Item

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,307 posts

Posted 11 March 2006 - 15:33

Thanks for the review. This looks like a great pen. I'll have to add it to my list.

Ron
Ron

Favorite Pens: Parker "51"Lamy 2000; Bexley America the Beautiful; Pilot Custom 823, 912 and 74; Sheaffer Early Touchdown; Parker Vacumatic; Sheaffer Legacy

#5 randyholhut

randyholhut

Vintage

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 558 posts

Posted 11 March 2006 - 16:27

The standard size (5 inch) English (or New) Duofolds are a good alternative if you either want a smaller pen or can't swing the extra cost of the Maxima.

I've got a Danish version of the New Duofold and it's a great pen. The nibs have a fair amount of flex and the size just right -- not too fat, not too skinny.

The English Duofolds from the 1950s are stylish and well-made. It makes you wonder why Parker never sold them on this side of the Atlantic.

#6 philm

philm

Collectors Item

• Member - Gold

• 1,060 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 11 March 2006 - 16:43

Thank you Amin -

I always enjoy seeing comparisons and your size photos were excellent. Enjoy the pen and thank for sharing with us.

philm

#7 amin

amin

Vintage

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 512 posts

Posted 11 March 2006 - 17:45

Philm and Ron, thanks for the kind words.

Randy, thanks for sharing the information about the standard size UK Duofold. I'm very interested in eventually picking up one of those as well. I guess the popular models in the US were doing well enough as to not warrant bring over these great pens. One of the thing about the UK Parkers is that they seem to more often have these great broads and stubs. Were folks in the US just not into that?

One correction to my review: The filling mechanism, while similar to the "51" aeros, is a bit different. It is the same as the "51" Special. I actually prefer the filling system of the latter, as it facilitates the viewing of the ink. There's a good comparison of the two filling systems just over half way down this page.

Edited by amin, 11 March 2006 - 18:13.

#8 wimg

wimg

Stip Etruria nut :)

• FPN Admin

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 24,180 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 12 March 2006 - 13:12

Hi Amin,

Excellent review with great pics! I like the size comparison with all those different pens too!

Warm regards, Wim

the Mad Dutchman
laugh a little, love a little, live a lot; laugh a lot, love a lot, live forever

#9 Blorgy

Blorgy

Extremely Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 313 posts

Posted 12 March 2006 - 14:48

Your nib has the number "50", which is the correct number for the Duofold Maxima's nib.

#10 Apollo

Apollo

Handsome Devil

• Member - Gold

• 998 posts

Posted 12 March 2006 - 21:52

Amin, that Duofold Maxima is to die for! Beautiful pen and superb pics!

Now, please excuse me while I go wipe my chin. :drool:
Posted Image Bendita mi tierra guanche.

#11 amin

amin

Vintage

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 512 posts

Posted 12 March 2006 - 22:52

Hi Amin,

Excellent review with great pics! I like the size comparison with all those different pens too!

Warm regards, Wim

Wim, thanks! I'm always a fan of comparison pics in reviews.

Your nib has the number "50", which is the correct number for the Duofold Maxima's nib.

Thanks Blorgy. This is definitely one of my favorite nibs. Very soft feel to it - probably more soft than springy now that I have been using it more. I'm glad you pointed this out. Do you know of a good resource that identifies correct nibs for other British Duofolds or Parker pens in general?

Hi Amin,

Amin, that Duofold Maxima is to die for! Beautiful pen and superb pics!

Now, please excuse me while I go wipe my chin. :drool:

Hi Apollo, thanks! I'm working on getting better pics. I think my next step is getting some better lighting.

Edited by amin, 12 March 2006 - 22:59.

#12 Blorgy

Blorgy

Extremely Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 313 posts

Posted 13 March 2006 - 04:15

Do you know of a good resource that identifies correct nibs for other British Duofolds or Parker pens in general?

At http://www.thewritin...k/duofolds.html , there are photos of 7 english aerometric duofolds, which are the Lady, Slimfold, Junior, Demi-Duofold, Duofold, Senior, Maxima. Martin is twdpens at FPN.

At http://www.vintagepe..._Duofolds.shtml , there is more about the english aerometric duofolds, including the numbers on the nibs:
Lady 4; Slimfold 5; Junior 10; Demi 15; Senior 35; and Maxima 50.
David is vintagepens at FPN.

I think that the number 25 is on the Duofold nib.

#13 davyr

davyr

Extremely Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 339 posts

Posted 15 March 2006 - 01:09

thanks for the wonderful review and pics amin. good looking, strong lines your pen has there, and it looks to be a great writer. enjoy that beaut!
"i love the smell of celluloid nitrate in the morning...you know, the smell, that camphor smell, it smells like...victory."

#14 amin

amin

Vintage

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 512 posts

Posted 15 March 2006 - 01:35

Thanks Dave!

#15 Michael Wright

Michael Wright

Vintage

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 657 posts

Posted 15 March 2006 - 05:38

Amin called the English Duofold "understated"; that's dead right, and probably why they haven't got much of a following. They're so understated as to be self-effacing, and they Just Work ™; which is why they still go for less than Conways, though in their time they were a rung above the CS line.

Best

Michael

who has nothing against Conways, and wishes he could get really excited about Aerometric Duofolds

#16 rroossinck

rroossinck

Donor Pen

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,683 posts

Posted 28 January 2007 - 05:19

Dragging this one back up from the deep...

Amin, thanks for your excellent review. Truly, this one is a beautiful pen. I'm looking forward to the day when one comes home to MY house.

Brassing Adds Character: Available by clicking on my signature.

#17 georges zaslavsky

georges zaslavsky

vintageandmodernpenslover

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,033 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 28 January 2007 - 20:40

nice classic pen wink.gif I like it.
Pens are like watches , once you start a collection, you can hardly go back. And pens like all fine luxury items do improve with time

#18 hatherton_wood

hatherton_wood

Extremely Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 298 posts

Posted 28 January 2007 - 21:03

I've picked up several of these over the past few months and they are really fantastic pens to use. Very well made and highly recommended.

Sponsored Content

|