The Fountain Pen Network uses (functional) cookies. Read the FPN Privacy Policy for more info.  To remove this message, please click here to accept the use of cookies

Registration on the Fountain Pen Network

Dearest Visitor of the little Fountain Pen Nut house on the digital prairie,

Due to the enormous influx of spammers, it is no longer possible to handle valditions in the traditional way. For registrations we therefore kindly and respectfully request you to send an email with your request to our especially created email address. This email address is register at fountainpennetwork dot com. Please include your desired user name, and after validation we will send you a return email containing the validation key, normally wiithin a week.

Thank you very much in advance!
The FPN Admin Team

Photo

Sheaffer Imperial with Transparent Inlaid nib

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 arz

arz

Extremely Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 252 posts

Posted 12 December 2008 - 22:18

This is my first review and first Sheaffer Triumph pen. It is also a pen made possible thanks to FPN:
the sales page for the nib (from Pengoddess at Pendemonium) and the Repair Q&A for RonZís solution
to my need for a proper pen body to display the nib.
I own several pens from Sheafffer with inlaid nibs: a few desk pens, one slim Targa and one full-size
Targa, two Legacy Heritage, and now the Imperial. Hereís a photo of most of the group, under the
watchful eye of my cat Pluma:

Sheafferís inlaid nib is one of my favorites, and so I was particularly excited to see Samís listing for a
transparent nib unit one morning. I didnít hesitate for a second before emailing her with an order.
I am not usually quick enough for the sales page, but this time I was!

I read the listing again, once I knew I was getting a nib, and soon realized that it would probably only
fit into one of my desk set pen bodies. This was confirmed once I got the nib a few days later: in
terms of my regular pens, it fit the large Targa body but was uncappable; the threads were smaller
than my Connaisseur body, but it capped without difficulty and also maintained the same line as the
body. My solution of using Teflon tape on the threads was quickly shattered by the advice on the
Repair thread, however.

RonZ read my query and offered a tangible solution: buy an Imperial FP body. I had considered this
but was put off by the great variety of Imperial options, since it is a pen about which I know very little.
Because the pen has metal threads Ron was able to identify the body that would fit and I bought a dark
blue plastic Imperial body from him. The one area of this solution that may seem to be lacking unity is
the chrome features on the pen, since this is a 14 K nib unit. In fact, Sam was offering a silver-colored
nib, but I opted for the 14K one, which was the same price.

Here is how the pen looks now:

I am also enjoying a great deal the way that the pen writes: the nib is firm and very fine, the two
qualities I prefer in my nibs. There is a bit of feedback but Iím not tearing up the paper. Iím not
sure if it is the new Pilot Asa-Gao ink that Iím using or the qualities of the nib itself, but I barely need
to touch the paper for the pen to produce a lovely line. Writing sample:

All in all, I am thrilled with the transparent inlaid nib unit and the lightweight plastic Imperial body.

I definitely think that I lucked out and am thankful to the FPN community for providing the circumstances
under which I could become the owner of such a cool pen and piece of Sheaffer history!

Sponsored Content

#2 lovemy51

lovemy51

legal? of course... and with all my papers. FP-friendly, mostly

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,634 posts

Posted 12 December 2008 - 22:51

thanx for the review! great lookig pen... i like that transparent section too!!

Sponsored Content

|