The Fountain Pen Network uses (functional) cookies. Read the FPN Privacy Policy for more info.  To remove this message, please click here to accept the use of cookies

Registration on the Fountain Pen Network

Dearest Visitor of the little Fountain Pen Nut house on the digital prairie,

Due to the enormous influx of spammers, it is no longer possible to handle valditions in the traditional way. For registrations we therefore kindly and respectfully request you to send an email with your request to our especially created email address. This email address is register at fountainpennetwork dot com. Please include your desired user name, and after validation we will send you a return email containing the validation key, normally wiithin a week.

Thank you very much in advance!
The FPN Admin Team

Photo

A fleet of flighters

• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

#1 ParkerBeta

ParkerBeta

Vintage

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 471 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 10 December 2008 - 09:20

The brushed stainless steel body and cap with black section 'flighter' may well be Parker's most enduring contribution to pen design. Every important Parker (except, I guess, the Duofold, but I could be wrong) model has appeared in a 'flighter' variant, and since I have now acquired three such flighters, I thought it would be fun to line them up and take pictures. Individual FPN reviews of these flighters are here: 45, 50, and 180.

From top to bottom: 45 (M), 50 (XF), 180 (M/XF)
P45_P50_P180.JPG

All my flighters have gold trim, and the 45 and 180 have black plastic sections (the 45's is smooth, the 180's is a great-looking crosshatch). The 50 section, being integral with the nib, is necessarily metal, but that metal has been sandblasted or ground in some way to offer a grip at the section part while being smooth and shiny at the nib part. The overall effect is very impressive indeed!

P50_nib_closeup.JPG
above: 50; below: 180 (M-side)
P180_nib_closeup.JPG

In terms of length, they are all comfortably long to write with without needing to post the cap. The 45 has the widest cross-section, followed by the 50, while the 180 is really very slim, sort of like the Sailor Daks Slim. The 45's cap closes by friction alone, whereas with the more expensive 50 and 180 models, the cap snaps closed.

I bought the 45 new many years ago for the equivalent of $16 in the transit lounge at Heathrow (it is made in the UK), and recently acquired the 180 as NOS and the 50 in mint condition, both from a "well-known auction site," for about $75 each. The 50 and 180 are both made in the USA. The 45's nib appears to be gold-plated steel, the 180's nib was advertised by the seller as 14kt gold (but there are no markings on the nib to confirm this), and the 50's nib is stainless steel, just like the rest of the section.

The 45 is the most "conventional" nib of the three, while the 50's integral nib and the 180's nib (which can be turned a hundred and eighty degrees to write with a different width) are unusual both in looks and function. Together, they show the gamut of what Parker was capable of in its heyday. The 45's M and the 180's M-side nibs are both wide, as Parkers are in my experience, both both are very smooth indeed. On the other hand, both the 50's XF nib and the 180's XF-side nib are somewhat scratchy, though the latter is slightly smoother than the former. Again, they run a bit wide -- the equivalent of a Japanese F.

Writing_samples_large.JPG
Summary: the 'flighter' design is durable, streamlined, and classy. I want to enlarge my collection to include a 51, 61, and 75 flighter, if possible. Meanwhile, these three are all fun to write with and likely to last forever!

Edited by ParkerBeta, 10 December 2008 - 09:42.

S.T. Dupont Defi with (steel) F nib
Montegrappa Nero Uno Linea M nib
Visconti Sterling Silver Skeleton M nib
Visconti Homo Sapiens Bronze Age EF nib

Sponsored Content

#2 troglokev

troglokev

Antique

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,645 posts

Posted 10 December 2008 - 13:13

Nice to see a Flighter 50. The first pen that I bought with my own money was one of those. Alas, the clip did not withstand the rigours of university life, and it being insufficiently well-secured to my person therefore, the 50 was lost in my honours year. crybaby.gif

Mine was also an extra fine. I remember it being reasonably smooth, despite the fineness of the nib, but that could just be nostalgia talking.

#3 RevAaron

RevAaron

Antique

• Member - Gold

• 2,931 posts

Posted 10 December 2008 - 16:31

Good review, good comparison shots too!

Oh, if only we all had a Falcon of our own... smile.gif

I'm not sure why, but I really love the look of the gold trim flighters- the contrast between the gold and the titanium/brushed chrome color adds so much more depth to GT for me, even one a cheaper pen like a non-flighter GT 45.

Makes me want to trade my rolled gold 51 for one with the GT on chrome cap! smile.gif
WTB: Ford's Patent Pen, Pilot Blue ink (Thai)
Also: Orthos Pens | Danish MB #4 nib | 1G Hundred Year Pen cap

#4 wykpenguin

wykpenguin

Collectors Item

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 828 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 10 December 2008 - 18:00

I have a Falcon in gold, but it doesn't write as the previous owner seems to have caused some separation of the tines.

Does anyone know who can fix it?

Makes me want a 180 too.

#5 I am not a number

I am not a number

Missing believed somewhere else.

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,973 posts

Posted 11 December 2008 - 12:11

Thanks for the comparison, I have two of the featured pens (the Falcon and the 180) and consider them both to be exceptional examples of design. The pictures are fantastic and the handwritten comparison is a very worthwhile addition to the post!

It is a truth universally acknowledged, that a single man in possession of a good fortune, must be in want of nothing at all...

#6 sph33r

sph33r

Extremely Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 333 posts

Posted 11 December 2008 - 15:53

I've been mildly wanting a 180 for my collection but now I want a 50 more. smile.gif

Nice review, thanks!
- Brad -

#7 lovemy51

lovemy51

legal? of course... and with all my papers. FP-friendly, mostly

• Member - Gold

• 4,634 posts

Posted 11 December 2008 - 22:45

nice trio! i too, like the 50 a lot!!!

#8 gyasko

gyasko

Antique

• Member - Gold

• 2,095 posts

Posted 12 December 2008 - 02:16

I have 45, 51, 61, 75, & 180 flighters. One of the reasons i like the 180 is that it has metal section threads. I like the nib, too. I think it's a very underrated pen.

#9 ParkerBeta

ParkerBeta

Vintage

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 471 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 12 December 2008 - 05:34

QUOTE (gyasko @ Dec 11 2008, 06:16 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I have 45, 51, 61, 75, & 180 flighters. One of the reasons i like the 180 is that it has metal section threads. I like the nib, too. I think it's a very underrated pen.

You're right about the metal section threads on the 180, and about its being generally overlooked or underrated. It really is a superb example of design and engineering.

BTW, you've achieved my dream of procuring 51, 61, and 75 flighters. Did you just wait for them to appear on ebay? Or do you have a 'source?' I'd really love to acquire a 51 flighter that matches (gold trim, flat barrel bottom) my other flighters, but that may prove difficult.
S.T. Dupont Defi with (steel) F nib
Montegrappa Nero Uno Linea M nib
Visconti Sterling Silver Skeleton M nib
Visconti Homo Sapiens Bronze Age EF nib

#10 andy1m

andy1m

Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 122 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 13 December 2008 - 10:19

Wow such a nice collection you have. Hope i can find 50 (XF), 180 (M/XF), they are simply beautiful!!

#11 DeaconKC

DeaconKC

Professional Predator Hunter

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 882 posts

Posted 06 April 2009 - 14:02

Very nice review that includes one of my favorites, the 45 Flighter. Thanks for your work.
Let courage rise with danger, and strength to strength oppose.
There is no snooze button on a cat wanting breakfast.
Posted Image

#12 The Bantam Scribbler

The Bantam Scribbler

"Peel Slowly and See"

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 194 posts

Posted 07 April 2009 - 01:50

The Falcon is an awesome pen! Lots of fun to use, and it writes much smoother than the fine line it lays down would indicate.

#13 buffalobil

buffalobil

Extremely Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 260 posts

Posted 07 April 2009 - 04:51

Excellent vintage collection. I also appreciate the text which was informative. Thank you.

#14 WendyNC

WendyNC

Donor Pen

• Member - Gold

• 3,957 posts

Posted 07 April 2009 - 05:11

QUOTE (gyasko @ Dec 11 2008, 10:16 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I have a 35, also with metal section threads. However, I'm not sure it quite qualifies as a flighter since it does have a gold colored barrel tassie. Posted it would fit right in with the collection shown.

I came here for the pictures and stayed for the conversation.

#15 archie001

archie001

-architecture & planning is my art-

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 755 posts

Posted 07 April 2009 - 07:30

very nice pens, and nice review. thanks and congratulations!
Fountain Pen is for people who have a delicate taste in writing

Pens Actively In Use
MB 149-f; MB Solitaire SS (FP-ef,BP,MP)
MB (LE) G.B.Shaw (FP-m,BP,MP); MB LeGrand (RB,BP,MP)
Parker Duofold Presidential Esparto sol.SS (FP-f, BP)
Parker Duofold PS SS (FP-f, RB)
Parker Doufold Marbled Green (FP-f,BP,MP)
Parker Duofold Marbled Gray (FP-xf)
S.T. Dupont Orpheo XL Platinum Diamond Head (FP-m)
S.T. Dupont Orpheo XL Platinum/ChinLacquer Black (FP-f)

#16 MSA

MSA

MSA

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 223 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 09 October 2010 - 02:47

In support of Parker 180. One of the smoothest writing pens in my collection. I have two of them one a simple flighter and the other with an engraved harlequin type pattern. Definitely under rated.
Mohammad Salahuddin Ayubi

Sponsored Content

|