Ohasido beauty

Nikolaos

any way we could get a couple pictures of the nibs side by side. Like a large nib and a smaller one? Also do all the large nibs come in 21k or are there large nibs in 14k as well?

Thanks again guys, this thread has been very helpful in my pursuit of Ohashi-do

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Nikolaos

• Sblakers

• Frank C

• Algester

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

The two 21k nibs I have are all large size ones that belong to larger size pens. As I mentioned before, they seemed to go on older (and perhaps more expensive) pens. The tsugaru-nuri Ohasido does come with a large 14k nib, as it was made only in the last few years when I bought it new.

I have just tried writing with the two types of nibs now, and the funny thing is that the 14k actually feels softer than the 21k one. Now I know that some Ohasido nibs have the 's' designation before their width markings, eg. SF signifies 'soft fine', but the 14k nib I have strangely does not have any engraved marking, so it might be a soft nib.

Here is a comparison of the larger and smaller nibs.

http://i955.photobucket.com/albums/ae33/mchenart/P2281109_zps90997cf0.jpg

• 1 year later...

I hope no one minds my resurrecting an old thread, but since there is a thread that showcases different Ohasidos, I figured it might be a good place to contribute some pictures of a more recent Ohasido. Especially since this thread was what inspired me to hunt some Ohasidos down!

This is a raden piece in one of their larger sizes -- 5.5*.

http://i1311.photobucket.com/albums/s667/daintydimsum/IMG_20150308_105753_zpsdiczdtu9.jpg

http://i1311.photobucket.com/albums/s667/daintydimsum/IMG_20150308_105857_zpsmlt3hgmz.jpg

http://i1311.photobucket.com/albums/s667/daintydimsum/IMG_20150308_105924_zpsnme1gp9z.jpg

This is actually my first raden pen, so I can't really comment on the quality of it. However, very subjectively, I can say using it brings me great joy, and like all the other Ohasido pens I've had, this is wonderfully balanced and a great daily writer. I constantly have one of three Ohasidos in my daily carry (the only other constant is a Hakase).

Edited by daintydimsum

That is absolutely breath-taking. I'll go back to staring now.

Life's too short to use crappy pens.  -carlos.q

• 2 weeks later...

Glad you resurrected the thread to show us this beautiful Ohasido! Congratulations!

Thank YOU for introducing them to me! Always grateful to learn from FPN.

Did you pick it up at Maruzen?

Not maruzen, no. I think it was a different pen fair. Is it the one they also made for maruzen?

Edited by daintydimsum

• 3 weeks later...

It appears that this topic is still alive. I love the photos of these beautiful pens. Can anyone supply me with information on how and where to buy one or two (or three . . . )?

Thank you in advance,

Frank

"One can not waste time worrying about small minds . . . If we were normal, we'd still be using free ball point pens." —Bo Bo Olson

"I already own more ink than a rational person can use in a lifetime." —Waski_the_Squirrel

I'm still trying to figure out how to list all my pens down here.

It appears that this topic is still alive. I love the photos of these beautiful pens. Can anyone supply me with information on how and where to buy one or two (or three . . . )?

Thank you in advance,

Frank

Hi Frank, this is a vexing question, especially for people who do not live in Japan. The best source for used Ohasido pens is Japan's Yahoo auction site, where you will find approximately 10 to 20 Ohasido pens listed per year. To access it, you'll have to find a proxy company in your country who will bid and pay on your behalf. The only way to buy brand new pens would be in Japan, in a department store where they participate in special events, usually attended by one of their techinicians. Since they take most of their available stock with them when they make the rounds of department stores, you may not find too many pens in their Sendai headquarters at any given time. Please keep in mind that Ohasido is a very small operation that barely manages to satisfy the demand of the Japanese pen users, so selling their pens overseas has never been their top priority.

Good luck!

Hi Frank, this is a vexing question, especially for people who do not live in Japan. The best source for used Ohasido pens is Japan's Yahoo auction site, where you will find approximately 10 to 20 Ohasido pens listed per year. To access it, you'll have to find a proxy company in your country who will bid and pay on your behalf. The only way to buy brand new pens would be in Japan, in a department store where they participate in special events, usually attended by one of their techinicians. Since they take most of their available stock with them when they make the rounds of department stores, you may not find too many pens in their Sendai headquarters at any given time. Please keep in mind that Ohasido is a very small operation that barely manages to satisfy the demand of the Japanese pen users, so selling their pens overseas has never been their top priority.

Good luck!

Thanks for the explanation. It all makes sense, now. I have been considering a trip to Japan for a long time now, and I should try to make it coincide with one of their special events. From what has been said here and elsewhere on FPN, I guess they really are special pens.

"One can not waste time worrying about small minds . . . If we were normal, we'd still be using free ball point pens." —Bo Bo Olson

"I already own more ink than a rational person can use in a lifetime." —Waski_the_Squirrel

There is an annual Mitsukoshi Fountain Pen fastival that is held at the Mitsukoshi department store in Nihonbashi, Tokyo, where Ohasido participates every year. I guess we just missed their festival this year that went from March 11-16. One bonus of attending that event is that Ohasido usually unveils a special pen model that is only available then and there. The one last year was, I believe, a beautiful raden pen.

http://mitsukoshi.mistore.jp.e.ki.hp.transer.com/store/nihombashi/event/fountainpen/index.html;jsessionid=NhnwVk2JtYQV2jPZGMwh25kKxZwLHdppwD7MVytLZW5nxVHXcpn7!-697517121

There is an annual Mitsukoshi Fountain Pen fastival that is held at the Mitsukoshi department store in Nihonbashi, Tokyo, where Ohasido participates every year. I guess we just missed their festival this year that went from March 11-16. One bonus of attending that event is that Ohasido usually unveils a special pen model that is only available then and there. The one last year was, I believe, a beautiful raden pen.

http://mitsukoshi.mistore.jp.e.ki.hp.transer.com/store/nihombashi/event/fountainpen/index.html;jsessionid=NhnwVk2JtYQV2jPZGMwh25kKxZwLHdppwD7MVytLZW5nxVHXcpn7!-697517121

Thanks for the link! That looks like a fountain pen lovers' dream come true. Is there any way to tell when it will be in 2016? I know that other Japanese department stores also have pen fairs. Are they as extensive as this one?

• 1 month later...

my newest Ohasido:

How about a nib photo, too?

Hello,

I know this is a pretty old thread, but anyone out there want to talk about Ohsido pens? I bought one recently and would love to connect to fellow aficionados.

Love all, trust a few, do harm to none. Shakespeare

Hello,

I know this is a pretty old thread, but anyone out there want to talk about Ohsido pens? I bought one recently and would love to connect to fellow aficionados.

I have a few and love them - they are daily workhorses for me. Very well-balanced and with beautiful nibs. I have an Ohasido constantly inked.

I know there are others with a few Ohasidos but the forum ebbs and flows.

Hello,

I would really like to try one, but short of a trip to Japan, I don't know how to purchase one.