Which was your favourite pen 10 years ago?

Susanna

(We began selling fountain pens online exactly 10 years ago, in March 1996).

Do you remember which was your favourite pen in March 1996?

Susanna
----------
Giardino Italiano, il meglio del Made in Italy - www.giardino.it - www.pens.it

My Facebook page
My Blog: blog.giardino.it

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Kees

• HesNot

• Greg

• RonB

Top Posters In This Topic

My _only_ pen 10 years ago was a grey marbled Waterman Laureat F. I used it for years, and it still makes it into the rotation once in a blue moon.

(Congratz on the anniversary)

Ryan.

Sheaffer Connaisseur with M nib. Still using it at least weekly.

But of course, I hadn't discovered Italian fountain pens back then ;)

Parker 75 sterling silver grid (cisele) with medium nib.

I bought it new in about 1990 with the matching BP at a local office supply store.

Still have it.

Bill

Edited by Bill

Ten years ago, I was using a Parker Duofold Centennial and a Pelikan M200. Both are in use today, though the M200 isn't the original--an old girlfriend got away with that.

Hmmm - 10 years ago it would have to be a Sheaffer stainless targa, which I've sadly lost in the intervening years.

A pen a day keeps the doctor away...

Parker "51" flighter; Parker 75 cisele; Conway Stewart Dandy Demonstrator; Aurora 88P chrome; Sailor Sapporo ; Lamy 2000; Lamy 27 double L; Lamy Studio; Pilot Murex; Pilot Sesenta (Red/Grey); Pilot Capless (black carbonesque); Pilot Custom 74 Demonstrator; Pilot Volex; Waterman Expert 2000 (slate blue)

Very interesting question. My (fountain pen) tastes and ideas have changed radically in the last ten years. Back in 1996 I only had a few pens, say at most five. My favourite writer was the 149 Montblanc I bought myself to celebrate the end of my MSc.

medium.jpg

The pen I loved most back then was the Cross Century GF my mother gave me when I finished my PhD.

medium.jpg

I still love this last one.

Amazing how one changes...

Happy Birthday!

Edited by acfrery

Waterman LeMan 100 (fine) for note taking and Pelikan 800 (Broad) for signatures. The Waterman eventually died. (I suppose I could always resurrect it with a new nib unit). The Pelikan nib is now at Richards for a converstion to an Itali/fine.

Edited by Piano Player

This question does inspire a certain reflection upon our changing tastes in pens. I've used fountain pens for a long time - with some periods of not using them and some where they were my daily writers. I really started due to an interest in calligraphy back in elementary school, but my father was quick to feed the habit with a little Sheaffer no-nonsense school pen and some Parker Vectors later on in high school. When I graduated from high school he gave me the stainless targa and I used that some during college but was much more inclined to use a little Fisher AG7 space pen during those years (finally retired after 4 years of college, 2 years working and 4 years of graduate school when the chrome had worn off the brass barrel where I held it). Law school and graduate business school tended to require fast writing and or pencil, hence the space pen and a series of .05 mechanical pencils.

Since graduating I put the targa back in use and around 1998 got back into using fountain pens on a daily basis. I still didn't know that much, really, about many brands and it was discovering Levenger and eventually places like pentrace and here that I started to go beyond the c/c fillers and look at Pelikans and vintage pens.

But 10 years ago I knew, by comparison, next to nothing about pens and still know a lot less than I'd like. I do still wish I had that Sheaffer targa, however, as it was a fine little pen and had some real sentimental connections for me...

A pen a day keeps the doctor away...

Parker "51" flighter; Parker 75 cisele; Conway Stewart Dandy Demonstrator; Aurora 88P chrome; Sailor Sapporo ; Lamy 2000; Lamy 27 double L; Lamy Studio; Pilot Murex; Pilot Sesenta (Red/Grey); Pilot Capless (black carbonesque); Pilot Custom 74 Demonstrator; Pilot Volex; Waterman Expert 2000 (slate blue)

Mont Blanc 149.

Timeless beauty and trouble free, so it remains a favorite.

Favorites preceding the 149: Parker 75 and Parker "51" aero.

They are excellent, but i now prefer wider pens.

Cheers,

J

It is with the deepest regret that I must admit that 10 yrs ago I was using ballpoint and rollerball pens...

mea culpa, mea culpa, mea maxima culpa...

I had not yet been re-awakened to the joys of a fountain pen...

Since my re-awakening, I have done my penance and been making and collecting pens....

Black lacquer French Parker 75. My other pens, some Parker 25s, a chrome or aluminum Targa, and some plastic school pen were misplaced or in bad shape, or I just didn't use them much, I can't quite remember :lol:

My favorite pen 10 years ago was the same pen I use almost everyday today, the Parker "51" aeromatice. Now I have multiple "51"s and I alternate.

I know, I'm boring. Been married to the same woman since college, too.

Ron

Ron

Favorite Pens: Parker "51"Lamy 2000; Bexley America the Beautiful; Pilot Custom 823, 912 and 74; Sheaffer Early Touchdown; Parker Vacumatic; Sheaffer Legacy

10 years ago this month? Would have to be the Lamy Safari that I disliked, but didn't have another alternative for a couple of months. After that? my 149 which is still my favorite pen to this day and gets used most every day.

Breastfeeding is the only 'natural user inteface'.

10 years ago - no pen. My favorite writing instrument was a mechanical pencil.

ask again next year - then i'll have the 10-year mark for my Phileas.

KCat
Save animal lives - support your local animal shelter

My personal blog https://kcdockalscribbling.com

My nature blog https://kcbeachscribbles.com
Venerable are letters, infinitely brave, forlorn, and lost. V. Woolf, Jacob's Room

Uhhh . . . . 10 years ago, that would be a Uni-ball rollerball. Didn't know FPs still existed then. :(

"But God demonstrates His own love toward us, in that while we were still sinners, Christ died for us." (Rom. 5:8, NKJV)

Well, that was still before rediscovering fountain pens, and at the time my favourite pen was a very nice blue and black striped rollerball I received as a present a few years earlier :D. I still have it :D.

Warm regards< Wim

the Mad Dutchman
laugh a little, love a little, live a lot; laugh a lot, love a lot, live forever

Parker Jotter ballpoint. I have to admit I still use them. I wish I had the nerve to shell out bigger bucks for the vintage Jotters in those wonderful colors.

Parker 75 sterling silver grid "ciselé", fine nib.

Still with me. Still going strong.

Mike

The answer to all life's secrets are found in your own creativity.

-unknown