Lawsuit filed by Montblanc

Dlpens

Huh?..

I must be a victim of my mind's reading of your post. Your words+my warped moron mind=misunderstanding.

Yeah, that's right, I'm a victim. NOT.

Anyway, you and Fred and Deirdre (and maybe that guy 'talkinghead') all seem to get my attempts at my warped humor/sarcasm, and I just wanted us all to be nice!

No problem : )

I am off for a glass of warm authorised ink before bed!

• 3 months later...
  • Replies 218
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Deirdre

• OldGriz

• Allan

• QM2

Top Posters In This Topic

deleted

Edited by Bo Bo Olson

In reference to P. T. Barnum; to advise for free is foolish, ........busybodies are ill liked by both factions.

The cheapest lessons are from those who learned expensive lessons. Ignorance is best for learning expensive lessons.

Having been in the corporate world I have a feel for how some of these marketing horror stories happen. More and more the individuals involved with products are put in a position of having the lawyers spell out the worst case possible. Before you know it the issues are framed exclusively in legal terms and the legal process is under way. It's almost as simple as a "right of way" issue on two adjoining properties. Once a year (? I'm retired.) the lawyers come in and say that an entrance or common driveway has to be blocked in order to assert your property rights. Then someone complains that you didn't give enough notice, or you disrupted something and the battle begins. Before you know it two long term business associates can be at each other's throat. Right or wrong this is how the lawyers make their money. It is what it is. If you know anything about HIPPA regulations in the medical field I'm sure you know the lawyers are making a killing covering their client's back.... Many times customer service iand medical care can be disrupted.

Between the lawyers and the insurance companies things can be pretty complicated. Bottom line, like in the Montblanc litigation, the company gets the public's wrath. Especially when you cross international lines it really gets complicated. I think the only time it gets more "sensitive" is when a house of worship is a party to the case.

I didn't like the Montblanc litigation but I have a pretty good idea how it all happened. I like the MB pens and will continue to buy them.

AMP

Reminds me some horror stories I heard years ago with Rolex watches.

I was about to bring this up when I saw your comment. Let's say you buy an original Rolex meteorite dial that only say, comes in the White Gold Daytona. Now go have a watchmaker put that into an authentic stainless steel Daytona. Go to your RSC and hand in for a service and wait for the fireworks to begin.

You'd be lucky if you got your watch back... :roflmho:

Update: Apologies for posting here, I failed to noticed that it had been revived from its dusty closet of Feb 2009. Some things should be left in the past.

Edited by bsodmike

Patek Philippe Annual Calendar 5146J, Calatrava 5127R / Audemars Piguet Royal Oak 15300ST / Montblanc: '80s 149 14C (F), 75th Anniv. RG O3B, 149 O3B & B, Meissen White B, Silver Barley B, Agatha SS M & Vermeil B, Dumas B, Verne B & others...

For sale: All in mint condition!! —Email me!

• * Nakaya Akatamenuri Writer Portable with Sterling Silver Snake stopper with Ruby eyes, 14k Elastic Soft nib.
  • * Montegrappa Extra 1930 Bamboo Black and Turtle Brown FPs (Both M-nibs)

I didn't like the Montblanc litigation but I have a pretty good idea how it all happened. I like the MB pens and will continue to buy them.

Now that the matter is settled, my beef with Montblanc is also. Since then, I've bought a "Yes, We Can" 149.

deirdre.net

"Heck we fed a thousand dollar pen to a chicken because we could." -- FarmBoy, about Pen Posse

Now that the matter is settled, my beef with Montblanc is also. Since then, I've bought a "Yes, We Can" 149.

Did you get your Shaw yet Dierdre? Highly recommended! :happyberet:

Got any pics of your YWC 149?? Would love to see them...

Patek Philippe Annual Calendar 5146J, Calatrava 5127R / Audemars Piguet Royal Oak 15300ST / Montblanc: '80s 149 14C (F), 75th Anniv. RG O3B, 149 O3B & B, Meissen White B, Silver Barley B, Agatha SS M & Vermeil B, Dumas B, Verne B & others...

• * Nakaya Akatamenuri Writer Portable with Sterling Silver Snake stopper with Ruby eyes, 14k Elastic Soft nib.

Reminds me some horror stories I heard years ago with Rolex watches.

I was about to bring this up when I saw your comment. Let's say you buy an original Rolex meteorite dial that only say, comes in the White Gold Daytona. Now go have a watchmaker put that into an authentic stainless steel Daytona. Go to your RSC and hand in for a service and wait for the fireworks to begin.

You'd be lucky if you got your watch back... :roflmho:

Dear bsodmike,

original Rolex dials are available from authorised dealers and Rolex as upgrade/change options. As long as you have the receipt you are alright.

Problems only occur when aftermarket (read that as non-original) products are used. If that is the case, RSC will return your watch on the spot and refuse service. Retaining the watch is a myth.

In any case, any change of any product is an infringement if done by a non-authourised person/dealer using non-authourised products. Rolex and MB are sad examples as they are very visible brands.

20 years in buying and selling Rolex watches have thought me to disregard many horror stories because they are just that, stories.

Stay well,

Solomon

WTB: Unusual and prototype Sheaffer Connaisseurs, Grande Connaisseurs and Parker Premiers.

Dear bsodmike,

original Rolex dials are available from authorised dealers and Rolex as upgrade/change options. As long as you have the receipt you are alright.

Problems only occur when aftermarket (read that as non-original) products are used. If that is the case, RSC will return your watch on the spot and refuse service. Retaining the watch is a myth.

Hi Solomon,

I have heard from members @ the TimeZone Rolex forum that even if you have an original dial in a configuration that is not in the catalogue, they will only return it after putting the watch back to its grade specifications ~ and then giving you the bill for the work of course.

Example with regards to the WG Daytona dial is simply that. Rolex will not let you have the dials that only come in the WG model in the SS model as they feel it is unfair ~ and I'm talking of all 100% authentic parts. I get all my work done at the London RSC, so in reality this is a non-issue for me and I have no plans for owning 'franken' watches.

Of course, this has never personally happened to me and is simply what I have seen discussed on the other forum. Thanks for your comments :) :)

Cheers

Mike.

Did you get your Shaw yet Dierdre? Highly recommended! :happyberet:

Got any pics of your YWC 149?? Would love to see them...

No shaw yet, and pictures of the other are forthcoming. I've finally got everything set up for pictures again....

deirdre.net

"Heck we fed a thousand dollar pen to a chicken because we could." -- FarmBoy, about Pen Posse

Dear bsodmike,

Hi Solomon,

I have heard from members @ the TimeZone Rolex forum that even if you have an original dial in a configuration that is not in the catalogue, they will only return it after putting the watch back to its grade specifications ~ and then giving you the bill for the work of course.

Cheers

Mike.

Dear Mike,

that is indeed news to me. Over the years, I have sent in quite a few pre-owned Rolexes to the Singapore RSC for service and authentication prior to purchase and in all instances none of the watches with after-market bezels, and bracelets were retained. I was told to get the watches back to specs before sending them in. In most cases it was as simple as putting on a regular Rolex bezel or a leather strap and sending in the watch again. Watches replaced with a different original dial were serviced as a matter of course.

Once, I sent in a 1960s ladies Rolex directly to Switerland as someone had botched up the movement. I received a lovely letter from Rolex stating they were sorry the problem can't be fixed and the watch was returned.

RSCs have a list of options for dial changes. The only caveat being the existing dial will be retained and you pay the difference towards the new dial. This list is free for the asking. I am not aware of the WG/SS Daytona dial switch issues.

I will be sending a few Rolexes for authentication shortly. Will ask the SC about their policy and get back to you if you are interested to know. It will certainly help me :) . Thank you for the dial information.

Stay well,

Solomon

WTB: Unusual and prototype Sheaffer Connaisseurs, Grande Connaisseurs and Parker Premiers.

Dear Mike,

that is indeed news to me. Over the years, I have sent in quite a few pre-owned Rolexes to the Singapore RSC for service and authentication prior to purchase and in all instances none of the watches with after-market bezels, and bracelets were retained. I was told to get the watches back to specs before sending them in. In most cases it was as simple as putting on a regular Rolex bezel or a leather strap and sending in the watch again. Watches replaced with a different original dial were serviced as a matter of course.

Once, I sent in a 1960s ladies Rolex directly to Switerland as someone had botched up the movement. I received a lovely letter from Rolex stating they were sorry the problem can't be fixed and the watch was returned.

RSCs have a list of options for dial changes. The only caveat being the existing dial will be retained and you pay the difference towards the new dial. This list is free for the asking. I am not aware of the WG/SS Daytona dial switch issues.

I will be sending a few Rolexes for authentication shortly. Will ask the SC about their policy and get back to you if you are interested to know. It will certainly help me :) . Thank you for the dial information.

Stay well,

Solomon

Thank you Solomon, I'd definitely like to hear back from you :) I was at the London RSC about a week back having my Mom's DateJust regulated. They could not regulate mine as the head technician there said that some of the oils around the balance had dried up so I will be taking it to Singapore or the RSC in Bombay (Mumbai).

Not entirely true :) When I bought my 116201 in later 2007, I wanted to have the pink romans dial changed to the pink diamonds dial. Could be a thing with the London RSC but they wanted me to buy the pink diamond dial fully and would not go 'part ways' in keeping the Romans dial. Of course I did this and they gave me the original hands and dial once the new dial and hands were fitted. I did not have to pay for a service although I had the work done on the 1st week of the 5th month after purchase.

The dials on the WG Daytona are special in the sense they do not come as standard dials for the SS model; hence the complication caused when someone has a third-party have those dials (originals of course) fitted into a SS watch. This is the most common example I've read of on the forum.

All the best

Michael :)

Edited by bsodmike

Thank you Solomon, I'd definitely like to hear back from you :) I was at the London RSC about a week back having my Mom's DateJust regulated. They could not regulate mine as the head technician there said that some of the oils around the balance had dried up so I will be taking it to Singapore or the RSC in Bombay (Mumbai).

Not entirely true :) When I bought my 116201 in later 2007, I wanted to have the pink romans dial changed to the pink diamonds dial. Could be a thing with the London RSC but they wanted me to buy the pink diamond dial fully and would not go 'part ways' in keeping the Romans dial. Of course I did this and they gave me the original hands and dial once the new dial and hands were fitted. I did not have to pay for a service although I had the work done on the 1st week of the 5th month after purchase.

The dials on the WG Daytona are special in the sense they do not come as standard dials for the SS model; hence the complication caused when someone has a third-party have those dials (originals of course) fitted into a SS watch. This is the most common example I've read of on the forum.

All the best

Michael :)

Dear Mike,

right, I am back from having a couple of Rolexes authenticated and answers to a number of queries.

First the dials - within the range of a Rolex series the dials are interchangeable. Eg. the SS Daytona. It comes in either white or black dial. These are interchangeable but not with gold Daytona dials and vice versa.

When the dial is changed, the full cost of the new dial is charged.

In the case of dial change or movement repair, all original parts are retained by Rolex. Nothing is returned to the owner. I did mention your case and a similar incident of mine (where the hands and a few cogs from a Rolex President were returned after repair). But both the customer service person and the technican maintain that is impossible?????.

Certain bracelets are not interchangable between different series. Eg. the hidden clasp SS jubille bracelet.

Dial and parts return issues are in variance to my personal experiences in the past. The one instance I changed a dial it was part exchange towards a new one. And I most certainly got back parts. Gave it to the buyer with watch.

Anyhow that's how it stands. I only authenticate and service a watch before sale, leaving repair issues to the new owner as most collectors like their watches with the original parts intact so though all this is academic to me it certainly helps the new owner.

Stay well,

Solomon

First the dials - within the range of a Rolex series the dials are interchangeable. Eg. the SS Daytona. It comes in either white or black dial. These are interchangeable but not with gold Daytona dials and vice versa.

Hi Simon,

What I was referring to was the latter of course. An owner having a dial from one of the gold Daytonas having fitted in a SS watch by a third-party watchmaker. I mentioned this as it seemed rather apt considering the premise of the this thread. It is also fair to assume that Rolex do not like their brand to be 'misinterpreted'.

In the case of dial change or movement repair, all original parts are retained by Rolex. Nothing is returned to the owner. I did mention your case and a similar incident of mine (where the hands and a few cogs from a Rolex President were returned after repair). But both the customer service person and the technican maintain that is impossible?????.

Impossible eh? :roflmho: Here's the receipt when I handed my watch in,

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3412/3534873599_242bd62f27_b.jpg

Dial when I bought the watch,

http://www.bsodmike.com/gallery2/d/12912-2/DSC01874.jpg

Old dial returned after replacement with new dial,

http://www.bsodmike.com/gallery2/d/20935-2/DSC03054.jpg

What it looks like now,

http://www.bsodmike.com/gallery2/d/20811-2/DSC02969.jpg

Rolex USA is VERY different from Rolex UK, not as forgiving and do tend to follow some very unique rules. In London, I can get any parts via my AD's Rolex parts account just by giving them a call for example GMT (16710) bezels. Been doing this for years for members on TimeZone living across the pond :)

I am also sure that you are aware that any person can only travel into the US with only one (1) single Rolex ~ if you're caught with any more than that at immigration (and of course I'm talking about 100% authentic ones) they will be confiscated!

Will US customs seize my Rolex?

Here is what the US Customs Service says as of Jan 2003:

The Rolex trademark recordation with Customs indicates "Import of Goods Bearing Genuine Trademarks or Trade Names Restricted." This means that genuine Rolex products can only be imported with the permission of the trademark owner, Rolex Watch U.S.A. Inc. A private individual can hand carry one Rolex watch from a trip overseas without obtaining permission. Bring in more than one, and they will all be seized as a trademark violation. Purchasing a Rolex from overseas by mail is also a trademark violation.

Search http://www.customs.gov/ for more information.

Edited by bsodmike

[quote name=\'bsodmike\' post=\'1060572\' date=\'May 16 2009, 06:01 AM\'

Impossible eh? :roflmho: Here\'s the receipt when I handed my watch in,

Rolex USA is VERY different from Rolex UK, not as forgiving and do tend to follow some very unique rules. In London, I can get any parts via my AD\'s Rolex parts account just by giving them a call for example GMT (16710) bezels. Been doing this for years for members on TimeZone living across the pond :)

Mike, would you mind if I save a copy of your invoice? Would come in useful when I next send a watch for repair and want the parts back from RCS. Looks like RCS Singapore has changed their returns policy.

As for buying parts from ADs, I have done that locally myself but limited to bracelet links, bezels and crystals. It\'s buying direct from Rolex that is an issue.

Stay well,

Solomon

Edited by varmas

Maybe we should move the Rolex conversation to a Rolex forum.

Eric

Hard times don't last, but hard people do.

Thank a Veteran.

Eric

Sorry Eric,

I am done for this topic. Mention watches, Cuban cigars, whiskies and vintage shoes and I am on auto pilot :roflmho:

Stay well,

Solomon

Mike, would you mind if I save a copy of your invoice?

Not at all :)

I am done for this topic. Mention watches, Cuban cigars, whiskies and vintage shoes and I am on auto pilot :roflmho:

Hah, I'm the same (apart from shoes though!) :lol:

Sorry for going OT Eric...

Edited by bsodmike

The conversation has gone far off-topic, and the MB suit has been settled, so this thread has been closed.

-- Joel -- "I collect expensive and time-consuming hobbies."

INK (noun): A villainous compound of tannogallate of iron, gum-arabic and water,

chiefly used to facilitate the infection of idiocy and promote intellectual crime.

(from The Devil's Dictionary, by Ambrose Bierce)