Pilot Varsity (Disposable) Fountain Pens

davidspitzer

Further observations with a loupe: the nib on the current production Varsity has a different shape from the one on the older version (crowned vs. flat on top) and has actual tipping where the older one has a folded/shaped tip. The feed appears to be identical with the ramp that used to fit under the shaped tip now hanging out in the breeze below the tipped nib, and exposing the feed wick. Less interesting is that newer nib is actually marked "M" where the older one is not.

Mike Hungerford

Model Zips - Google Drive

• 1 year later...
  • Replies 106
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• davidspitzer

• officesupplygeek

• jbb

• Sailor Kenshin

Just bought a Vpen here (Ottawa) at the Staples down the street, 5$ and I got what I paid for. A decent pen that I will keep in the cup of pens at work to use when i forget my Safari at Home. Look forward to emptying and attempting a refill.

Edited by Halden

In Ottawa? Check out The Ottawa Pen Posse

I just picked up my first FP trying to get a "baseline" on nib size so I can go from there. I too think that it seems to write a little on the heavy side--on notebook paper--so I think I would like a fine or even extra-fine nib. The scratchy feeling of a rollerball like the Pilot Precise V5 RT is sort of what I am after in a FP. I would also like something that is piston-filled. Any suggestions?

Disobedience is the true foundation of liberty. The obedient must be slaves. Henry David Thoreau

http://img244.imageshack.us/img244/5642/postcardde9.png

I think they write very smoothly. However, I wish they came in F or XF. If they did I would carry one at all times!

I think they write very smoothly. However, I wish they came in F or XF. If they did I would carry one at all times!

Indeed, they write very smoothly. I've found that the thickness of line you get from a refill depends very heavily on the ink that you use (Noodlers ACBB = garden hose) and the paper on which you use it (Moleskine = out of the question, unless it's Noodlers Black; Rhodia = excellent with anything, but shows up that line variation).

BTW, Halden, the refill process is well worth it. Just make sure that you remove and replace the nib separately from the feed, and pull the nib stright out of the body (never at an angle. Master those two tricks and you can refill your cheap, smooth-writing pen for aeons! :thumbup:

• 1 year later...

I have these pens and I love the colors <3 I think I got the 7 color pack? They're just basic, bright colors :) They write too broad for daily note-taking and such but they write smoothly.

HOWEVER, I'd like to mention that the ink is NOT waterproof. Yes, I know they are not marketed as waterproof but I was surprised how.. anti-waterproof(?) they were. I was using them for notes and I like to have a drink nearby when I'm studying and when I lifted my cup, a drop of condensation fell onto my paper and completely dissolved the ink - it was like magic :blink: The ink just disappeared (it was the pink color, fyi). Fortunately, it was only underlining and not actual writing. Regardless, I would suggest reconsidering the use of this pen if there is any chance your writing may get wet. Otherwise, these are nice, affordable pens :)