Pilot Varsity (Disposable) Fountain Pens

davidspitzer

Hmm, I like the idea of using these for FP evangelism. I bought my girlfriend a purple one. I actually wanted to give her a "real" fountain pen but she was of the opinion that she wouldn't do enough writing, even day-to-day, to get much use out of it.

Foo.

FPE Hmmmm I like it! :thumbup: I have been trying to turn my daughter with one also!! ............Maybe LOL Cheers Mike

Parker

51 set

21 set

21 Desk sets

Sheaffer

Preludes F M BP

Imperials

Snorkel Sentinel Admiral Statesman

Craftsmen

No-Nonsense M Italic

Reform 1745

Waterman Phileas F M

Might like a 149 someday!!

A bad day on the water is better than a good day in the office

• Replies 106
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• davidspitzer

• officesupplygeek

• jbb

• Sailor Kenshin

"Trueblood" and "Twilight" seem to have caused all the teen girls in the Western world to go vampire-crazy!

There's an ink those fans would love: Mont Blanc rose-scented red. They can then write Edward imaginary letters smelling of roses. They can refill their Varsity Vampire pen and swoon to their hearts' content.

Caveat: not a Twilight fan.

Is there life before death?

Well, I'll be dipped if I can see any real connection aside from their shared foundations in antiquity, anachronistic panache, and the sense of the arcane and mysterious that they conjure in the minds of the imaginative. But if there really is some tangible link between vampire enthusiasm and dabbling in fountain pens, FP sales could see some bright days ahead!!!

FPs and vampires sound like a steampunk story waiting to happen. I know there is at least 1 professional fantasist on FPN. Dierdre, wanna give it a go? :-)

Their nibs are not fine enough for me. I don't like them :( That's unfortunate because I would like to carry a disposable fountain pen in my pen case in addition to my regular fountain pens. But alas, not this particular model. I've tried it and disliked it.

Or...I could send it in to have Richard Binder grind it to an XF......DOH. NOT! ;-)

It is cheaper to get a Pilot Petit1 and swap nibs. Get a fun color of the Petit1, one you don't mind being a medium.

I like the Varsity but, as many other members, I hate the disposable nature of this pen. The environmental aspect of this is appalling and quite behind the times. Also, I become attached to my pens and do not want to discard them. Yes, I've read about how one can refill them, but I wonder if the seal will be as strong after you pull out the feed a couple of times with pliers. How difficult would it be for Pilot to turn this into a cartridge-filled economy pen? I'd be willing to pay a dollar or two more for it if it were not disposable.

I've refilled many times by popping the nib. You need to be careful, but 6 or 7 refills still beats throwing it away after one original fill. Watch out for the PR inks, though. If they sit in it too long then they'll clog...which reminds me about a flush I need to do....

• 1 month later...

Couldn't resist grabbing a 3 pack on clearance today. Wouldn't you know it? The purple has the best nib and I am SOOOOO boring....

Let courage rise with danger, and strength to strength oppose.

There is no snooze button on a cat wanting breakfast.

http://img525.imageshack.us/img525/606/letterji9.png

I think for a $3 FP they are just fine. Good for introduction, writing a dissertation or for people taking a calligraphy class. You get a FP without having to think about what is best for you right away.

Have fist, will travel

My deviantArt page

• 1 month later...
I like the Varsity but, as many other members, I hate the disposable nature of this pen. The environmental aspect of this is appalling and quite behind the times. Also, I become attached to my pens and do not want to discard them. Yes, I've read about how one can refill them, but I wonder if the seal will be as strong after you pull out the feed a couple of times with pliers. How difficult would it be for Pilot to turn this into a cartridge-filled economy pen? I'd be willing to pay a dollar or two more for it if it were not disposable.

I've refilled many times by popping the nib. You need to be careful, but 6 or 7 refills still beats throwing it away after one original fill. Watch out for the PR inks, though. If they sit in it too long then they'll clog...which reminds me about a flush I need to do....

Greetings from México. It is easy to refill the Pilot Varsity: first, with two fingers you pull out the metal nib, then wrap the nib plastic part inside the pen with paper or cloth, then with pliers slowly pull out the plastic part, then fill the pen with ink

but dont reach the top with ink because, belive me, accidents hapen when you insert the nibs. Any way, it is a realy good fountain pen. Works for years.

I wound up giving the purple and blue Varsities to a couple girls at my church. Now a whole bunch more want FPs! I've created a cult!

Their nibs are not fine enough for me. I don't like them :( That's unfortunate because I would like to carry a disposable fountain pen in my pen case in addition to my regular fountain pens. But alas, not this particular model. I've tried it and disliked it.

Or...I could send it in to have Richard Binder grind it to an XF......DOH. NOT! ;-)

I think there's a disposable made by Pilot with an F nib---the VPen??? I've got two of them, red and green, but they're downstairs now and I'm lazy. :P

My latest ebook.   And not just for Halloween!

My other pen is a Montblanc.

I think there's a disposable made by Pilot with an F nib---the VPen??? I've got two of them, red and green, but they're downstairs now and I'm lazy. :P

The V pen and Varsity are the same pen, just labeled differently for different countries.

I was right.

Just checked the Jetpens site, and the Vpen has a fine point. When I write with those I really notice the difference between them and the garden hose that is the Varsity.

My latest ebook.   And not just for Halloween!

My other pen is a Montblanc.

I just did my first Varsity refill. Very simple; popped out the nib and feed with a pair of needlenose, squirted in a mix of Skrip blue and Waterman South Seas, then popped the nib and feed back (they make a satisfying 'snap' when back in position). Back up and running fine again now. :thumbup:

The V pen and Varsity are the same pen, just labeled differently for different countries.

You are both correct.

They are both the same body, just different nibs.

The V pen is a fine nib, the varsity comes in Medium.

I should note that when used upside down the varsity writes a much finer line.

"Not all those who wander are lost." J.R.R. Tolkien

• 4 weeks later...

Today I discovered that my local stationers stocks the Pilot V-Pen, as this model is called in the European market. I wasn't in the market for a pen today but I'll go back and get some another day. Colours stocked were black, blue, light blue, light green, purple, red, and pink. I may go back and get a red one next week.

• 3 weeks later...

Greetings from México. It is easy to refill the Pilot Varsity: first, with two fingers you pull out the metal nib, then wrap the nib plastic part inside the pen with paper or cloth, then with pliers slowly pull out the plastic part, then fill the pen with ink

but dont reach the top with ink because, belive me, accidents hapen when you insert the nibs. Any way, it is a realy good fountain pen. Works for years.

HOLA, FUNCIONA DE MARAVILLA, YA RELLENE MI VARSITY, GRACIAS!

Mas saludos desde Mexico.

I love them Varsitys!

I really like the nib, and was wondering if I could use it in other pens. (Parker Jotler, I'm looking at you!)

The voice of this guitar of mine, at the awakening of the morning, wants to sing its joy;

I sing to your volcanoes, to your meadows and flowers, that are like mementos of the greatest of my loves;

If I am to die away from you, may they say I am sleeping, and bring me back home.

http://img356.imageshack.us/img356/7260/postminipo0.pnghttp://img356.imageshack.us/img356/8703/letterminizk9.png

New, young fountain pen writers often enjoy calligraphy pens -- also inexpensive and readily available at office supply stores.

She is a female Dennis the menace, so i fear projectile India ink all over my kitchen or even worse her carpet in her room. I like your idea, but I think I will move her in stages, so I am not scrubbing the floor with acetone ;)

Try a Plumix. Available at Target, cheap, and refillable, using regular FP ink. Mine has a nice calligraphy nib. I leave the India Ink down at my drafting table with the Speedball nib pen, where it won't get knocked over.

I used these pens for years. I loved them. Always layed down a consistent nice wet line. They were the reason I looked into more eco-friendly pens. (I hated filling the landfill everytime one ran out.) I used to buy them in bulk. Recently, I just give them away to friends, but I still keep a black and a blue one just in case. I think they are a great inexpensive way to try fountain pens.

JJZ