Pilot Varsity (Disposable) Fountain Pens

davidspitzer

When I bought my first V-pen, I didn't know that it was non-refillable. I even bough a pack of cartridges with it. When I got home I tried to unscrew the barrel. I was shocked and disappointed. In my native language Finnish, fountain pens are called refillable pens or "täytekynä". So I would never have imagined that such a horror would ever be possible to exist. Yes, the nib was smooth but the concept of non-refillable fountain pens is absolute waste of time and environment.

They are very easy to refill, by removing the nib. I purchase the V-Pen and Varsity to give away, but I always fill with Noodler's before doing so; Noodler's colors are more interesting.

• Replies 106
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• davidspitzer

• officesupplygeek

• jbb

• Sailor Kenshin

When I bought my first V-pen, I didn't know that it was non-refillable. I even bough a pack of cartridges with it. When I got home I tried to unscrew the barrel. I was shocked and disappointed. In my native language Finnish, fountain pens are called refillable pens or "täytekynä". So I would never have imagined that such a horror would ever be possible to exist. Yes, the nib was smooth but the concept of non-refillable fountain pens is absolute waste of time and environment.

They are very easy to refill, by removing the nib. I purchase the V-Pen and Varsity to give away, but I always fill with Noodler's before doing so; Noodler's colors are more interesting.

maybe this...

Thanks,

David

www.oldworldink.com

OK I had to share this

I gave one to each of my girls with a nice journal. This morning My older girl, (15) wrote in her journal. She showed me...

"Hello, this is my first fountain pen it's simply lovely. I feel like a vampire when I write with it!"

Okay, I'm trying to wrap my brain around that. Is that because a fountain pen is old fashioned?http://bestsmileys.com/vampire/3.gif

yes my daughter is eclectic here is the math on it

fountain pen = old = medieval or perhaps Gothic = vampire

this is the same girl that use to ask waitresses "if you were a mushroom what kind of mushroom would you be?"

maybe this...

Now THATS what I was talking about...some nice blood red ink and she will feel 10x more like a vampire. :)

OK I had to share this

I gave one to each of my girls with a nice journal. This morning My older girl, (15) wrote in her journal. She showed me...

"Hello, this is my first fountain pen it's simply lovely. I feel like a vampire when I write with it!"

LOL!!! You won't believe this, but my 15-year-old sister said the exact same thing when I gave her one of my Hero 616's!

"Trueblood" and "Twilight" seem to have caused all the teen girls in the Western world to go vampire-crazy!

Edited by The Bantam Scribbler

Pilot Varsity is the very pen that got me started on my burgeoning new FP career. If not for its amazingly smooth glide, perfect flow, and utter reliability, I would NEVER have picked up another fountain pen, and would have remained scarred from the sole experience I'd had with them up until that time. I bought a cheap disposable at an office supply store when I was 12, and it leaked like a skittish prison stoolie all over my desk!

Edited by The Bantam Scribbler

LOL!!! You won't believe this, but my 15-year-old sister said the exact same thing when I gave her one of my Hero 616's!

"Trueblood" and "Twilight" seem to have caused all the teen girls in the Western world to go vampire-crazy!

And are Vampires making these girls fountain pen crazy as well? Curious.

And are Vampires making these girls fountain pen crazy as well? Curious.

Well, I'll be dipped if I can see any real connection aside from their shared foundations in antiquity, anachronistic panache, and the sense of the arcane and mysterious that they conjure in the minds of the imaginative. But if there really is some tangible link between vampire enthusiasm and dabbling in fountain pens, FP sales could see some bright days ahead!!!

I refill mine too, with Noodler's Walnut. Not hard to do!

I tried the Pilot Varsity when I was a lot younger (my father had a few lying around the house), and hated them -- so very wet and not fine enough! I'd also only ever really seen them with blue ink, and I wasn't particularly fond of the shade.

I'm glad I ventured to try out something else, years later... :)

Edited by twinofmunin

hugin

The Varsity's aren't bad pens at all. BTW, having fun in law school? ;)

some days better than others - my finals for the first year are in Februrary - I will feel better when those are over and i have the First year Law student exam done in june :thumbup:

Thanks,

David

www.oldworldink.com

Conclusion: FPs are still superior to RBs and BPs!!! :)

Well, if I try really hard to be unbiased, I would have to say that the Uniball which was a ballpoint performed best out of all 3 in terms of being consistent. As you could see in part 3 of the review that was the conclusion I came to...however I do still MUCH prefer writing with a FP....I just think that in the case where I know I need a pen that can hold up to the cold weather, the pen I reviewed cant be beat...certainly not for $3 :)

Thanks for reading the review though, hope you enjoyed it.

I think I, too, fell in love with fountain pens via the Pilot Varsity. :D I love the way they write, and was happy to find a link somewhere about how to refill them.

http://hans.presto.tripod.com/nibs/refill_varsity.html

I haven't tried it yet...I have a couple of Varsity pens that still write well. But it's good to know from a "green" point of view.

I'm not nearly a fan of ball point pens anymore, but the roller balls & gels still have a share of my interest.

Maria

Courage is fear that has said its prayers.

- Dorothy Bernard

Maria

http://img525.imageshack.us/img525/606/letterji9.png

I like the Varsity but, as many other members, I hate the disposable nature of this pen. The environmental aspect of this is appalling and quite behind the times. Also, I become attached to my pens and do not want to discard them. Yes, I've read about how one can refill them, but I wonder if the seal will be as strong after you pull out the feed a couple of times with pliers. How difficult would it be for Pilot to turn this into a cartridge-filled economy pen? I'd be willing to pay a dollar or two more for it if it were not disposable.

Edited by adair

I bought a bunch of V-pens, and have been handing them out to the unsuspecting!!! I got an "oooo whats that?" from my Mum. I then let her try my Sheaffer after which she said Ahhh....... a real pen. :eureka: Guess what I have purchased as her Christmas present!!!!!! Cheers Mike

Parker

51 set

21 set

21 Desk sets

Sheaffer

Preludes F M BP

Imperials

Snorkel Sentinel Admiral Statesman

Craftsmen

No-Nonsense M Italic

Reform 1745

Waterman Phileas F M

Might like a 149 someday!!

A bad day on the water is better than a good day in the office

Hmm, I like the idea of using these for FP evangelism. I bought my girlfriend a purple one. I actually wanted to give her a "real" fountain pen but she was of the opinion that she wouldn't do enough writing, even day-to-day, to get much use out of it.

Foo.

http://twitter.com/pawcelot

Vancouver Pen Club

Currently inked:

Montegrappa NeroUno Linea - J. Herbin Poussière de Lune //. Aurora Optima Demonstrator - Aurora Black // Varuna Rajan - Kaweco Green // TWSBI Vac 700R - Visconti Purple

I bought a bunch of V-pens, and have been handing them out to the unsuspecting!!! I got an "oooo whats that?" from my Mum. I then let her try my Sheaffer after which she said Ahhh....... a real pen. :eureka: Guess what I have purchased as her Christmas present!!!!!! Cheers Mike

I give them out too -- like at the supermarket or bank if a clerk shows interest while I'm writing a check. You never know when it might open up a whole new hobby for someone.

I give them out too -- like at the supermarket or bank if a clerk shows interest while I'm writing a check. You never know when it might open up a whole new hobby for someone.

Of course, the question is whether they'll thank you or curse your name after they spend half their income on pens. :)

http://twitter.com/pawcelot

Vancouver Pen Club

Currently inked:

Montegrappa NeroUno Linea - J. Herbin Poussière de Lune //. Aurora Optima Demonstrator - Aurora Black // Varuna Rajan - Kaweco Green // TWSBI Vac 700R - Visconti Purple