The Fountain Pen Network uses (functional) cookies. Read the FPN Privacy Policy for more info.  To remove this message, please click here to accept the use of cookies

Registration on the Fountain Pen Network

Dearest Visitor of the little Fountain Pen Nut house on the digital prairie,

Due to the enormous influx of spammers, it is no longer possible to handle valditions in the traditional way. For registrations we therefore kindly and respectfully request you to send an email with your request to our especially created email address. This email address is register at fountainpennetwork dot com. Please include your desired user name, and after validation we will send you a return email containing the validation key, normally wiithin a week.

Thank you very much in advance!
The FPN Admin Team

Photo

Pilot Varsity (Disposable) Fountain Pens

• Please log in to reply
106 replies to this topic

#1 davidspitzer

davidspitzer

Old World Ink - Iron Gall Ink

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 343 posts

Posted 03 December 2008 - 21:45

Surprisingly Smooth nib, Nice wet very medium to heavy line. Comes in packs of three for $8 Blue, Black and Purple. The pilot starts writing about 1/3 of the way down the page after the word resale

Edited by MYU, 05 December 2008 - 04:03.

Thanks,

David
www.oldworldink.com

Sponsored Content

#2 jbb

jbb

Museum Piece

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,042 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 03 December 2008 - 21:52

Those are wonderful pens. I carry a few in my purse and have given some away to people showing an interest in fountain pens. They write for a very long time on the ink they come with.

#3 officesupplygeek

officesupplygeek

Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 160 posts

Posted 03 December 2008 - 22:07

I have one of those, got it free with an order a little while ago from http://www.coloradopen.com/ I was surprised how nicely it wrote for a cheap disposable pen, and it is partially what peaked my interest in FPs in general.

CoolOfficeSupplies.png

#4 Bearcat

Bearcat

Careful with that Fountain Pen....You could put your eye out!

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,529 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 03 December 2008 - 22:22

Nice notes from Contract Law.

Have Camera....Will Travel....Wire SigSauerFan AT Hotmail DOT com

Inveterate trader. Send me a note for my list of pens, watches, knives and other fun things for sale or trade....

The Danitrio Fellowship

#5 Headache Corporation (TM)

Headache Corporation (TM)

Random notes are your friend.

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPip
  • 71 posts

Posted 03 December 2008 - 22:25

These are the best pens to use for Fountain Pen Evangelism. You can give them to someone who is skeptical, and once they learn how to properly use one, will be convinced that fountain pens aren't just a silly indulgence. They write well above their price. My local pen shop also sells them as singles for about $3.25, which is great because I don't usually use the black one that comes in the 3-pack.

#6 davidspitzer

davidspitzer

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 343 posts

Posted 03 December 2008 - 22:30

this just proves how deep my sickness is - i forgot my fountain pen at home "current selection from my group being a Wahl Eversharp from the 30's" and I could not bring myslef to muck up my notebook with a ballpoint so i stopped by staples on the way to work
Thanks,

David
www.oldworldink.com

#7 adallak

adallak

Extremely Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 280 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 03 December 2008 - 23:10

QUOTE (davidspitzer @ Dec 3 2008, 05:30 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
this just proves how deep my sickness is - i forgot my fountain pen at home "current selection from my group being a Wahl Eversharp from the 30's" and I could not bring myslef to muck up my notebook with a ballpoint so i stopped by staples on the way to work
thumbup.gif

Edited by adallak, 04 December 2008 - 01:47.

“Be nice to people on your way up because you meet them on your way down.” Jimmy Durante quotes (American Comedian, Pianist and Singer, 1893-1980)

#8 Celeste

Celeste

out of cheese error

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 230 posts

Posted 03 December 2008 - 23:54

I used these though college and loved them. They are real work horses.

#9 thibaulthalpern

thibaulthalpern

Stop and See / 止觀

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,307 posts

Posted 04 December 2008 - 01:54

Their nibs are not fine enough for me. I don't like them sad.gif That's unfortunate because I would like to carry a disposable fountain pen in my pen case in addition to my regular fountain pens. But alas, not this particular model. I've tried it and disliked it.

Or...I could send it in to have Richard Binder grind it to an XF......DOH. NOT! ;-)
m( _ _ )m (– , –) \ (^_^) /

#10 MinasTirithScribe

MinasTirithScribe

Royal Healers' Scriptorium of Gondor

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 271 posts

Posted 04 December 2008 - 03:07

Varsitys are my standard travel pens because they don't leak and they tolerate writing on airplanes and at altitudes from the Blue Ridge to the Rockies. I'm currently kicking myself for leaving a multicolored 5-pack in a distant state after a Thanksgiving visit.

#11 J0rdan

J0rdan

Extremely Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 265 posts

Posted 04 December 2008 - 05:36

QUOTE (thibaulthalpern @ Dec 3 2008, 08:54 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Their nibs are not fine enough for me. I don't like them sad.gif That's unfortunate because I would like to carry a disposable fountain pen in my pen case in addition to my regular fountain pens. But alas, not this particular model. I've tried it and disliked it.

I've been having the same difficulty. Fortunately when I ordered my varsities off Jetpens I also ordered a few of their finer Japanese sibling, the pilot Vpen. The Varsity nibs are marked with an "M" and the Vpens are marked with an "F", which explains the difference. I'm very pleased with the Vpens so far...but don't take my word for it, I'm new to fountain pens.

It seems as though they're out of stock for most Vpen colors right now, aside from the green one, which is even finer than the other Vpen colors I purchased. Here's the Jetpen's link.

Edited by J0rdan, 04 December 2008 - 05:40.

Posted Image

"A pen is certainly an excellent instrument to fix a man's attention and to inflame his ambition."

-John Adams

#12 LapsangS

LapsangS

Greetings from Finland

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 310 posts

Posted 04 December 2008 - 09:06

When I bought my first V-pen, I didn't know that it was non-refillable. I even bough a pack of cartridges with it. When I got home I tried to unscrew the barrel. I was shocked and disappointed. In my native language Finnish, fountain pens are called refillable pens or "täytekynä". So I would never have imagined that such a horror would ever be possible to exist. Yes, the nib was smooth but the concept of non-refillable fountain pens is absolute waste of time and environment.

#13 Pink Ink

Pink Ink

Vintage

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 450 posts

Posted 04 December 2008 - 10:41

QUOTE (LapsangS @ Dec 4 2008, 01:06 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
When I bought my first V-pen, I didn't know that it was non-refillable. I even bough a pack of cartridges with it. When I got home I tried to unscrew the barrel. I was shocked and disappointed. In my native language Finnish, fountain pens are called refillable pens or "täytekynä". So I would never have imagined that such a horror would ever be possible to exist. Yes, the nib was smooth but the concept of non-refillable fountain pens is absolute waste of time and environment.

I have never tried but, apparently, if you pull hard enough, the nib comes out and then you can refill the pen with a syringe.

Or, if you really like the nib, the Petit1 uses the same nib as the Vpen fine nibs.
Writing instruments of the moment:
  • Pilot Prera Fountain Pen in Vivid Pink XF (Levenger ink, Pinkly).
  • Uniball α-Gel Slim Pencil in Pink (0.3mm leads).
  • Pilot 742 Fountain Pen in Black with Falcon (flex) Nib, (Pilot ink, Black).
  • Nikko G Nib in the penholder.

#14 davidspitzer

davidspitzer

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 343 posts

Posted 04 December 2008 - 16:37

OK I had to share this

I gave one to each of my girls with a nice journal. This morning My older girl, (15) wrote in her journal. She showed me...

"Hello, this is my first fountain pen it's simply lovely. I feel like a vampire when I write with it!"
Thanks,

David
www.oldworldink.com

#15 jbb

jbb

Museum Piece

• Member - Gold

• 6,042 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 04 December 2008 - 17:17

QUOTE (davidspitzer @ Dec 4 2008, 08:37 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
OK I had to share this

I gave one to each of my girls with a nice journal. This morning My older girl, (15) wrote in her journal. She showed me...

"Hello, this is my first fountain pen it's simply lovely. I feel like a vampire when I write with it!"

Okay, I'm trying to wrap my brain around that. Is that because a fountain pen is old fashioned?

#16 jbbreau

jbbreau

Jean-Bernard

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 151 posts

Posted 04 December 2008 - 17:23

I honestly don't like the pilot Vpen, as it is known around here, it doesn't feel like a fountain pen at all to me...
It's hard to explain, but I don't enjoy writing with them...
It doesn't feel like the nib is touching the paper, it's almost too smooth... if this is possible.
«This statement wouldn't be funny if not for irony.»
-Randall Munroe

#17 davidspitzer

davidspitzer

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 343 posts

Posted 04 December 2008 - 19:56

QUOTE (jbb @ Dec 4 2008, 10:17 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
QUOTE (davidspitzer @ Dec 4 2008, 08:37 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
OK I had to share this

Okay, I'm trying to wrap my brain around that. Is that because a fountain pen is old fashioned?

yes my daughter is eclectic here is the math on it

fountain pen = old = medieval or perhaps Gothic = vampire

this is the same girl that use to ask waitresses "if you were a mushroom what kind of mushroom would you be?"
Thanks,

David
www.oldworldink.com

#18 officesupplygeek

officesupplygeek

Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 160 posts

Posted 04 December 2008 - 19:59

You should get her one with red ink. smile.gif

CoolOfficeSupplies.png

#19 jbb

jbb

Museum Piece

• Member - Gold

• 6,042 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 04 December 2008 - 20:03

QUOTE (davidspitzer @ Dec 4 2008, 11:56 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

this is the same girl that use to ask waitresses "if you were a mushroom what kind of mushroom would you be?"

I gave a young friend a dip pen and some onionskin paper during her Harry Potter phase and that went over big too. Your daughter sounds like a lot of fun. New, young fountain pen writers often enjoy calligraphy pens -- also inexpensive and readily available at office supply stores.

Edited by jbb, 04 December 2008 - 20:05.

#20 davidspitzer

davidspitzer

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 343 posts

Posted 04 December 2008 - 20:13

QUOTE (jbb @ Dec 4 2008, 01:03 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
QUOTE (davidspitzer @ Dec 4 2008, 11:56 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I gave a young friend a dip pen and some onionskin paper during her Harry Potter phase and that went over big too. Your daughter sounds like a lot of fun. New, young fountain pen writers often enjoy calligraphy pens -- also inexpensive and readily available at office supply stores.

She is a female Dennis the menace, so i fear projectile India ink all over my kitchen or even worse her carpet in her room. I like your idea, but I think I will move her in stages, so I am not scrubbing the floor with acetone wink.gif
Thanks,

David
www.oldworldink.com

Sponsored Content

|