XF Nibs

jdboucher

Physical laws apply.

If you compare two nibs in the same pen and whose undersides are finished properly and are adjusted in the same way -- by Richard Binder say -- the xf will not be as smooth. Even if the writer does not apply any pressure at all, the weight of the pen will create some, and that pressure will be higher for the nib with a smaller surface area. As a result, the nib will go further into the paper and encounter more resistance.

I think Mr. Griz was just saying some extra-fines can be smoother than some Mediums.

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• officesupplygeek

• WillSW

• OldGriz

• gyasko

Top Posters In This Topic

Physical laws apply.

If you compare two nibs in the same pen and whose undersides are finished properly and are adjusted in the same way -- by Richard Binder say -- the xf will not be as smooth. Even if the writer does not apply any pressure at all, the weight of the pen will create some, and that pressure will be higher for the nib with a smaller surface area. As a result, the nib will go further into the paper and encounter more resistance.

I think Mr. Griz was just saying some extra-fines can be smoother than some Mediums.

And also some "XF" can also be larger than others and more like a F or M, no?

I have a Sailor Sapporo with EF nib, tested, adjusted, and bought from Mottishaw. The pen feeds ink perfectly, with no skip or uneveness. Having said that, the laws of physics do apply. The nib is stiff and offers little feedback. It works well on good paper, will dig into cheap paper. And it does not have that sensuous, smooth, wet feel of a European/American F or M nib of good quality. It is an unemotional tool. Also, I find that the EF nib does not show off the delicate shading of different brands of ink - for example, all blues look pretty much the same.

As you can tell, this is not my ideal pen. To me, the finest nib I have that still is pleasurable to write with is my Parker 51 with F nib.

Bob

Pelikan 100; Parker Duofold; Sheaffer Balance; Eversharp Skyline; Aurora 88 Piston; Aurora 88 hooded; Kaweco Sport; Sailor Pro Gear

Eca de Queroiz: "Politicians and diapers should be changed frequently, and for the same reason."

Bob, if you don't love your sapporo I'll give it a loving home. :)

I have a Sailor Sapporo with EF nib, tested, adjusted, and bought from Mottishaw. The pen feeds ink perfectly, with no skip or uneveness. Having said that, the laws of physics do apply. The nib is stiff and offers little feedback. It works well on good paper, will dig into cheap paper. And it does not have that sensuous, smooth, wet feel of a European/American F or M nib of good quality. It is an unemotional tool. Also, I find that the EF nib does not show off the delicate shading of different brands of ink - for example, all blues look pretty much the same.

As you can tell, this is not my ideal pen. To me, the finest nib I have that still is pleasurable to write with is my Parker 51 with F nib.

Bob

I have a Lamy 2000 EF and it writes smoother than my Lamy Safari F. I don't have other pens so I can't compare different brands. I would say that smoothness depends on the brand and the pen model (nib design).

My Flickr | My Blog

http://winsonli.com/bottledinkicons/small/visconti-blue.png http://winsonli.com/bottledinkicons/small/waterman-brown.png Bottled Ink Icons version 0.3 | Forum Thread

Hope this is not a dumb question, but is there ever a difference between the same size nib between two different pens of the same brand? Like should a Lamy Studio EF compared to a Lamy 2000 EF be almost identical?

There is often, I'd think, if the brand uses different nibs for its pens. Your example is one such case. The Lamy Studio usually comes with Lamy's steel nib and the 2000 comes with its gold. The steel nibs write more true to the accepted definition of XF, while the 2000's XF could be considered a medium.

I've also seen Bexleys that use steel nibs that I know are wider than advertised, while I'd guess their gold nibs are more accurately tuned.

There is often, I'd think, if the brand uses different nibs for its pens. Your example is one such case. The Lamy Studio usually comes with Lamy's steel nib and the 2000 comes with its gold. The steel nibs write more true to the accepted definition of XF, while the 2000's XF could be considered a medium.

The 2000 is a completely different pen & nib; everything else in Lamy's lineup, from the ABC to the Studio, uses the same nib system (regardless of finish). But the 2000 is not comparable to the rest of them. (Not saying better or worse, just completely different; it's certainly a brilliant cost-containment move to standardize so much, which may be why Lamy is still in business when so many other pen makers are owned by trash can companies.)

Can XF nibs be smooth? I'm worried that getting one would make the writing experience not as good when compared with a medium.

I have a Binder XXXF that is smooth. I've also used a Pilot Petit xf given to me by Skyppere that I found quite smooth. Probably not as nice a my Binder nib, but then, at about four bucks it doesn't have to be. Neither example seemed any more toothy than a M nib. If you want to try the nib size on the cheap, my advice would be to get a Japanese pen, like the Pilot Petit, and see if it makes you insane or not. Japanese pens tend to be on the money out of the box.

My Safari EF's are wonderful, but they are not true EF's. Lamy nibs all run wide. My F 1911 is much thinner than any of my Lamy's, including the studio.

The thinner the nib, the smaller the sweet spot will be, and for some that lean hard on their nibs, they could appear to be scratchy. I find that thinner nibs seem to appreciate a lighter touch.

<span style='font-family: Georgia'><span style='font-size: 14px;'><strong class='bbc'> Stephanie "Biffybeans" Smith</strong></span><p><a href='http://www.biffybeans.com/' class='bbc_url' title='External link' rel='nofollow external'>Blog: Spiritual Evolution of the Bean</a><p><a href='http://www.etsy.com/shop/biffybeans?ref=si_shop' class='bbc_url' title='External link' rel='nofollow external'>Purchase Stephanie "Biffybeans" Smith's Original Art on Etsy</a>

Hope this is not a dumb question, but is there ever a difference between the same size nib between two different pens of the same brand? Like should a Lamy Studio EF compared to a Lamy 2000 EF be almost identical?

I know this is not what you are asking, but I have experienced different nib sizes between same pens of the same brand.

I have had a number of Namiki Impressions pens, and noticed some variation among the medium nibs (only had one each of the fine and broad nibs). I have two Waterman Phileas pens with fine nibs, and one writes a slightly narrower line than the other. There is also variation with my two Aurora Optima medium nibs, and my four Parker Duofold Jr. fine nibs.