The Fountain Pen Network uses (functional) cookies. Read the FPN Privacy Policy for more info.  To remove this message, please click here to accept the use of cookies

Registration on the Fountain Pen Network

Dearest Visitor of the little Fountain Pen Nut house on the digital prairie,

Due to the enormous influx of spammers, it is no longer possible to handle valditions in the traditional way. For registrations we therefore kindly and respectfully request you to send an email with your request to our especially created email address. This email address is register at fountainpennetwork dot com. Please include your desired user name, and after validation we will send you a return email containing the validation key, normally wiithin a week.

Thank you very much in advance!
The FPN Admin Team

Photo

Straffen SRX Galaxie

• Please log in to reply
17 replies to this topic

#1 Venividivici

Venividivici

Near Mint

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPip
  • 31 posts

Posted 02 December 2008 - 19:42

I recently got this pen from xFountainPens. It is called the "Straffen SRX Galaxie" on the site, but upon closer inspection, the nib says "Fuliwen."

I think this pen is great. It is my current favorite. The nib is very smooth and easy to write with. It has a nice weight to it (I prefer to use it posted). At $20, when I bought it, it was the cheapest in my collection, but also the heaviest. Regardless of actually quality, heavier always feels more expensive to me. The design is pretty conservative, but not boring, which I like. It's never scratchy, but it does skip on occasion, especially the first time I use it in a given day (after that, it's usually good to go). I think I will use Pelikan ink when the current cartridge runs out. Overall, I think it is an awesome pen for the price. Also, pens from xFountainPens ship from Harmony, PA and I live in Pittsburgh, so it only takes a day to get my order, which is always a big plus.

"The soul's joy lies in doing. " -Percy Bysshe Shelley

Sponsored Content

#2 ntheo

ntheo

Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 113 posts

Posted 02 December 2008 - 20:18

Hey

I'm glad you like the product from Xfountain pen. I bought one of their Jinhao X30 FP as well and I'm really satisfied with it.

#3 Ondina

Ondina

Donor Pen

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,924 posts

Posted 03 December 2008 - 06:57

A Fuliwen? Looks awesome!. Chinese design and finishes normally don't tick me, but this one has caught my eye on the spot. Thanks for the review.

#4 Easy Writer

Easy Writer

NOS (New Old Stock)

• Member - Silver

• PipPip
  • 17 posts

Posted 18 April 2010 - 22:21

I bought an x750 Kompass Fountain Pen from xFountainPens a few months back and I am pretty pleased with the performance! It writes much better than the $15 I paid for it, though the actual list price is close to $50 according to the website. Noodlers ink has worked well for me with this fountain pen thus far.

#5 Ed Ronax

Ed Ronax

Support a pen addict - donate now.

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,753 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 19 April 2010 - 12:50

Nice review, that was quite a deal you got there and its a really great looking pen, might just invest $19.99 and get myself one.
And how can this be, because he is the Kwisatz Haderach.

#6 sotto2

sotto2

Collectors Item

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,013 posts

Posted 19 April 2010 - 22:27

I bought one of these pens many months ago now, and it is among my better pens, regardless of price. Others have remarked about how good it looks.

ekfh5f.jpg

#7 lovemy51

lovemy51

legal? of course... and with all my papers. FP-friendly, mostly

• Member - Gold

• 4,634 posts

Posted 20 April 2010 - 08:59

i like the look of the body and it looks well built. thanx for the review.

#8 K9training

K9training

Mint

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPip
  • 77 posts

Posted 25 October 2011 - 12:24

I realize this is an old review, but I have to say the new one i received on saturday worked out of the box and ever time right from the start - so far knock on wood. smooth writing and probably the best writing pen I have ever used in 45 years. No B.S.. I realize it is a cheapo pen compared to what seems like all of the high end pens people here on the forum buy and have and use; but it is one sweet pen. I just purchased 2 more for 2 different colored inks.

I am very impressed. another vertrag I have had nothing but problems and even after 2 converters were replaced - plenty of skips and starts and dry spells. another i have is a fine affilato that starts tough at times but then works beautifully. But that Galaxie works 100%. I am impressed. had my eye on a parker but for the cost and my past parker and cross experiences in comparison to this $20 galaxie nebel - it is a hands down winner. Being new to this place and not trying to bash the more elitist owners of fine pens here - the $20 pen is an excellent fountain pen.

Edited by K9training, 25 October 2011 - 13:09.

#9 Uncle Red

Uncle Red

Museum Piece

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,585 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 25 October 2011 - 16:46

I've bought 7 pens from xFountainpen, they're nice pens that work well. The staff are nice too. I got a free bottle of ink with the last order.

#10 K9training

K9training

Mint

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPip
  • 77 posts

Posted 25 October 2011 - 16:56

glad to hear that. I am new to their company so i was wondering. esp at the price of some of their pens. I was a bit hesitant. the vertrag was the bad one of the bunch. though i like the looks and feels of it. To many glitches overall.

#11 rwilsonedn

rwilsonedn

Donor Pen

• Member - Gold

• 3,802 posts

Posted 25 October 2011 - 23:18

glad to hear that. I am new to their company so i was wondering. esp at the price of some of their pens. I was a bit hesitant. the vertrag was the bad one of the bunch. though i like the looks and feels of it. To many glitches overall.

Have you tried giving this pen a thorough flushing with ammonia solution? Sometimes new pens have residues of various sorts left in the feed, and the gunk interferes with the ink supply. Also, oil left on the inside surface of the converter can cause ink to stay up at the top, away from the feed.
The usual steps are to with the converter in the pen, make about a 10% solution of household ammonia in water, and then fill the pen with the solution and empty again about a dozen times. Then repeat the whole process with clean water. Sometimes it can work wonders.
ron

#12 K9training

K9training

Mint

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPip
  • 77 posts

Posted 25 October 2011 - 23:28

thanks for the advice - i have no ammonia in the house at present. I will have to get some and give it a try. I just hesitate using any harsh chemicals in the pens even if they do not cost a lot of $.

#13 raging.dragon

raging.dragon

Donor Pen

• Member - Gold

• 4,055 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 26 October 2011 - 01:52

I'm thinking this pen was designed to resemble an ST Dupont. It isn't a counterfeit, but it sure borrows alot of design elements...:)

#14 Gojira

Gojira

Vintage

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 629 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 26 October 2011 - 01:59

You can also try flushing the pen with plain dishwashing liquid and water. Just a few drops into a large cup of water and you're good to go. Just remember to flush the pen out with plain water after.

#15 watch_art

watch_art

Pen Making Madness

• FPN Super Moderators

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,497 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 26 October 2011 - 03:12

ammonia is not harsh on pens. it can be harsh on brass though, so don't soak brass parts. but if you do the 1:10 ammonia:water mix you should be fine.

fpn_1432247667__cropped-20150427_0641231 sigpic14481_1.gif vanness.jpg?t=1321916122

#16 georges zaslavsky

georges zaslavsky

vintageandmodernpenslover

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,033 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 30 October 2011 - 08:35

pretty nice pen :thumbup: looks like a lot to the dupont olympio
Pens are like watches , once you start a collection, you can hardly go back. And pens like all fine luxury items do improve with time

#17 raging.dragon

raging.dragon

Donor Pen

• Member - Gold

• 4,055 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 30 October 2011 - 18:10

Yeah. The cynic in me wonders if the Chinese plant making these also produces counterfeit duponts based on the same design... (This shouldn't be considered a criticism of xfountainpens. Though I've never bought from them, everything I've heard about them has been positive.)

#18 K9training

K9training

Mint

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPip
  • 77 posts

Posted 30 October 2011 - 18:24

pretty nice pen :thumbup: looks like a lot to the dupont olympio

that is not the pen. not sure what you are talking about with the picture....

Sponsored Content

|