The Fountain Pen Network uses (functional) cookies. Read the Privacy Policy for more info.  To remove this message, please click here to accept the use of cookies

Photo

Noodler's X-Feather

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 kookychick

kookychick

Potentially Percipicacious

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 355 posts

Posted 30 November 2008 - 18:22

As many of you know, Jetpens has started carrying Noodler's ink. They had a few bottles that were damaged during shipping that couldn't be sold. They offered the damaged bottles free to the first 6 people who responded in exchange for a review of the ink. They kindly sent me a bottle! biggrin.gif

Noodler's X-Feather was designed to resist feathering, especially on cheap papers. It is billed as archival and 100% bulletproof.

I tried to use different papers than those used by the other 2 reviewers. I tried Noodler's X-Feather along with Noodler's Esplanade (Singapore exclusive), Noodler's Prime of the Commons Blue-Black (UK exclusive), and Noodler's La Reine Mauve (regular distribution). Esplanade in particular feathers a lot on many different papers, PCBB varies in its feathering qualities, and La Reine Mauve is generally well-behaved.

I used Sensa Meridian FPs, custom ground to 0.3mm, in all the handwritten samples.

Here are pics of samples on the different papers I tried:

Cheap copy paper (Georgia Pacific, 88 brightness, 20#)

Mead Composition Book, Vietnam paper

Index card (Oxford brand, really old and slightly yellowed)

Newsprint (old TV guide from the Sunday paper)

Facial tissue (Puffs)

Ink drying time: As you can see, it smudged at 10 seconds (but not much at 5 seconds). This will be variable depending on how much ink was laid down by the pen, etc. I've used X-Feather to take notes on cheap copy paper, and it seemed to dry pretty fast--I'd heard it takes a long time. It probably does on Clairefontaine paper with a super-smooth finish, but that's not the type of paper this ink was made for!

Ink flow:
I really like the flow--it's not too dry in my pens, but not too wet, either! It puts down a nice, tight line, and doesn't widen on the page. I left it in a pen without using it for 5 days, and it started up immediately. I haven't experienced any problems while pausing during writing.

Overall, this is a nice, rich black ink that was very well-behaved in my Sensa Meridians. It performed beautifully on cheap recycled papers, and, true to its name, didn't feather! smile.gif It didn't bleed through anything I tried, either, not even on the facial tissue! Its flow was perfect in my pens, and felt nice while writing. The drying time on cheap, absorbent papers was much better than I thought (on the newsprint, it seemed to dry almost instantaneously). I wouldn't bother using this ink if you mostly use Clairefontaine paper or other papers that are pretty feather-resistant anyway, but if you use a lot of more porous papers or a wide variety of papers, X-Feather will do the trick! biggrin.gif

edited by moderator regarding link

Edited by Ann Finley, 01 December 2008 - 08:09.

Inks currently in pens: Noodler's La Reine Mauve, Rachmaninov, Prime of the Commons Blue-Black, Naval Orange, MN Whaleman's Sepia, Verdun Green, Majestic Orange; J. Herbin Violette Pensée, Rose Cyclamen, Orange Indien

Blog Twitter Facebook

Sponsored Content

#2 Ondina

Ondina

Donor Pen

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,923 posts

Posted 01 December 2008 - 11:12

So.. you were the lucky one!. smile.gif Thanks for the review.

#3 rcannonp

rcannonp

Extremely Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 245 posts

Posted 01 December 2008 - 12:31

You are right about not using it on certain papers that are already feather resistant. I tried it out in a Moleskine sketchbook, and I don't think that it ever dried.

#4 kv3x

kv3x

Mint

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPip
  • 54 posts

Posted 04 April 2010 - 08:03

Excellent review! I tried to write on a napkin in a bar not too long ago. I should have had this ink loaded in the pen I carried at the time. :headsmack:
Posted Image

#5 Ed Ronax

Ed Ronax

Support a pen addict - donate now.

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,753 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 04 April 2010 - 11:57

Excellent review, thanks.
And how can this be, because he is the Kwisatz Haderach.

#6 Pen Nut

Pen Nut

"You open one safe door and another one closes"

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,448 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 04 April 2010 - 13:00

Good review and thanks for it. Tried this and didnt really get on with it. Drying time was just way too long for my liking.

Money may not make you happy but I would rather cry in a Rolls-Royce

The true definition of madness - Doing the same thing everyday and expecting different results......

#7 psfred

psfred

Donor Pen

• Member - Gold

• 3,128 posts

Posted 06 April 2010 - 01:39

Dry time for X-Feather on GOOD paper is very very long. I've had trouble using it on even low grade ruled paper pads at work. However, the really junky notebook I have to use (bound, records kept forever) bleeds so badly with anything else I can only use one side of the paper, while X-feather works pretty well. Dries fast in that book, hardly at all on decent paper.

Something to keep in mind -- it's not really universal ink.

Peter

#8 romanticimpressions

romanticimpressions

NOS (New Old Stock)

• Member - Silver

• PipPip
  • 14 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 17 December 2012 - 00:47

Does Noodler's X-feather have issues with nib creep.

#9 psfred

psfred

Donor Pen

• Member - Gold

• 3,128 posts

Posted 19 December 2012 - 00:28

It behaves exactly like Noodler's Bulletproof black for me. Some nib creep, but nothing terrible.

Peter

#10 circlepattern

circlepattern

Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 173 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 08 June 2013 - 02:27

Cool review, one of the only X-feather reviews on FPN!

#11 Avastgard

Avastgard

NOS (New Old Stock)

• Member - Silver

• PipPip
  • 16 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 10 December 2013 - 12:41

I just think you should have used broader nibs, since what you were trying to test was feathering.

#12 Gloucesterman

Gloucesterman

Transformation Coach

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,054 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 11 December 2013 - 03:52

Your review is much appreciated and will help the next time I want a bulletproof ink.

“Don't put off till tomorrow what you can do today, because if you do it today and like it, you can do again tomorrow!”

#13 Pen Nut

Pen Nut

"You open one safe door and another one closes"

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,448 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 11 December 2013 - 17:04

It seems that the advice is stay away from quality paper if you want this stuff to dry. What a pity this message isnt on the box or bottle.

Money may not make you happy but I would rather cry in a Rolls-Royce

The true definition of madness - Doing the same thing everyday and expecting different results......

Sponsored Content

|