Help on Choosing VP Richard Binder Nib Size 0.6, 0.8, 1.0 ?

zeevolking

Hi all,

I have decided to buy a namiki vanishing point raden pen from richardspens.com after reading some good stuff about him on these forums.

Most people on these forums seem very satisfied with a custom 0.6mm round nib, plain tip, no flex, 6/10 wetness.

Do you guys have pictures of writing samples of the 0.6, 0.8, or 1.0 round nibs for the VP?

Also anyone who has purchased from this merchant with a wetness rating of 6-10, can you tell me how it writes, or pics, and which you chose.

Thanks!

Edited by zeevolking

• Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• zeevolking

• thibaulthalpern

• Rufus

• I am not a number

I have decided to buy a namiki vanishing point raden pen from richardspens.com ...

Most people on these forums seem very satisfied with a custom 0.6mm round nib, plain tip, no flex, 6/10 wetness.

Do you guys have pictures of writing samples of the 0.6, 0.8, or 1.0 round nibs for the VP?

Also anyone who has purchased from this merchant with a wetness rating of 6-10, can you tell me how it writes, or pics, and which you chose.

Thanks!

Congrats on the VP. I think its one-handed operation makes it the perfect pen for note taking and for quick scribbles on the go.

To figure out which width nib you might prefer, you have to first measure the size of your usual everyday handwriting. Measure the height of your minisclues (small case a,c,e,m,n,o,r,s,u,v,w,x,z) in millimeters of your usual sized handwriting, using a magnifying glass and a very finely graduated ruler (or ideally an optical micrometer). Divide the height of your average miniscule by 5. That should give you an idea of the width of the line in mm that will look classically correct and proportionate for your handwriting. If you like a bolder look to your script, then up the size of the nib by 0.2 extra mm. If you like a fine look to your handwriting, then subtract 0.2 mm.

Remember that some pens are labeled with the width of the nib tip - some pens are labeled with the width of the downstroke line they draw. The two are not the same. Of course, knowing the width of the line the pen will write is usually more helpful - it's the end result that matters. Nibmeister Richard Binder labels his nibs with the width of the vertical downstroke they lay down.

Having said that, my daily workhorse is a Binder 0.9 mm Cursive Italic Vanishing Point with a 7/10 wetness factor. A nice wet nib with a bold vertical downstroke and a narrow horizontal stroke - great line width variation.

My CI nib makes me look better than I really am - one of my life goals. Thanks Richard.

Ray

Atlanta, Georgia

Pilot Namiki Vanishing Point with Richard Binder ItaliFine 0.9mm/F Nib

Faber Castell's Porsche Design with Gold & Stainless Mesh in Binderized CI Broad nib

Visconti LE Divina Proporzione in Gold with Binderized CI nib

David Oscarson Valhalla in gray (Thor) with Broad Binderized CI nib

Michel Perchin LE Blue Serpent (reviewed) with Binderized CI nib

Montblanc 149 in Medium Binderized CI nib

Montblanc Pope Julius II 888 Edition (reviewed) in Bold Binderized CI nib

It will be a personal choice based on your style of writing. I favour the 0.8 stub but I use it for annotations as my standard nibs are broader than that.

I can't see any VP nibs in the size and specification you state (0.6, 0.8, or 1.0 round) on Richard's site, am I being slightly thicker than usual or are you looking at the Pelikan nibs?

Edited by I am not a number

It is a truth universally acknowledged, that a single man in possession of a good fortune, must be in want of nothing at all...

It will be a personal choice based on your style of writing. I favour the 0.8 stub but I use it for annotations as my standard nibs are broader than that.

I can't see any VP nibs in the size and specification you state (0.6, 0.8, or 1.0 round) on Richard's site, am I being slightly thicker than usual or are you looking at the Pelikan nibs?

You can have Richard grind to those sizes.

And in responding to another post above: flex cannot be added to VP nibs, according to Richard. It was one of the first questions I asked him when I bought my VP.

m( _ _ )m (– , –) \ (^_^) /

I have decided to buy a namiki vanishing point raden pen from richardspens.com ...

Thanks!

Congrats on the VP. I think its one-handed operation makes it the perfect pen for note taking and for quick scribbles on the go.

To figure out which width nib you might prefer, you have to first measure the size of your usual everyday handwriting. Measure the height of your minisclues (small case a,c,e,m,n,o,r,s,u,v,w,x,z) in millimeters of your usual sized handwriting, using a magnifying glass and a very finely graduated ruler (or ideally an optical micrometer). Divide the height of your average miniscule by 5. That should give you an idea of the width of the line in mm that will look classically correct and proportionate for your handwriting. If you like a bolder look to your script, then up the size of the nib by 0.2 extra mm. If you like a fine look to your handwriting, then subtract 0.2 mm.

Remember that some pens are labeled with the width of the nib tip - some pens are labeled with the width of the downstroke line they draw. The two are not the same. Of course, knowing the width of the line the pen will write is usually more helpful - it's the end result that matters. Nibmeister Richard Binder labels his nibs with the width of the vertical downstroke they lay down.

Having said that, my daily workhorse is a Binder 0.9 mm Cursive Italic Vanishing Point with a 7/10 wetness factor. A nice wet nib with a bold vertical downstroke and a narrow horizontal stroke - great line width variation.

My CI nib makes me look better than I really am - one of my life goals. Thanks Richard.

This is excellent advice and mirrors the advice Richard B would give you. My minisclues average 4mm and I've found a cursive Italic or stub of .9mm to 1.1mm to be perfect for everyday writing; for special occasions I'll even go as wide as 1.3mm, e.g. a Bexley factory stub. As concerns wetness, I like Richard B's 6. If you are concerned about the nid width you could send Richard B a sample of your writing when you send him the nib to be ground and discuss your likes with him further when he's received the sample; better yet you could seek out a fellow FP user near you who has cursive Italic/stub nibs and give them a try. I too have a Richard B .9mm cursive Italic in my Bexley Simplicity and love it; I think it really enhances the look of my writing.

Edited by Rufus

Bryan

"The greatest lesson in life is to know that even fools are right sometimes." Winston S. Churchill

YachtSilverSwan has given excellent advice.

Richard B's cursive italic nibs are super, a little more 'crisp', IMO, than those of some other pretenders to the throne!!

I think they require you to take your time...not a bad thing, maybe?

I find 7/10 to be a touch on the wet side for all but the drier inks...think I'd go for a 6 next time.

Edited by rogerb

If you make people think they're thinking, they'll love you; But if you really make them think, they'll hate you.

Don Marquis

US humorist (1878 - 1937)

YachtSilverSwan has given excellent advice.

Richard B's cursive italic nibs are super, a little more 'crisp', IMO, than those of some other pretenders to the throne!!

I think they require you to take your time...not a bad thing, maybe?

I find 7/10 to be a touch on the wet side for all but the drier inks...think I'd go for a 6 next time.

What do you mean "pretenders to the throne" ?

Who are the "pretenders" ?

thank you all for your replies.

I have narrowed down my nib search to these:

VP cursive italic 0.9mm 6/10 wetness

VP Stub italic 0.6mm 6/10 wetness

both of these should be the equivalent of medium nibs, which is the thickness i'm after.

Which do you think I should pick?

I am looking for a nib for everyday use; I take a lot of notes in my studies, so I want something that feels great writing but also looks great on paper.

Also, what is a music nib, and is it worth considering for what I'm looking for?

Thank you all, I hope to have my mind made up in a day or two :) (can't wait to write with that pen!)

both of these should be the equivalent of medium nibs, which is the thickness i'm after.

I am looking for a nib for everyday use; I take a lot of notes in my studies, so I want something that feels great writing but also looks great on paper.

Also, what is a music nib, and is it worth considering for what I'm looking for?

Thank you all, I hope to have my mind made up in a day or two :) (can't wait to write with that pen!)

The cursive italic tends to give more line variation than does the stub in general (not taking nib width into account). That said, I have two 0.7mm cursive italics from Richard and can comfortably take notes with them at conferences etc.

Edited by thibaulthalpern

I recently purchased, thanks to Ray, a .5mm Cursive Italic nib for my VP and I love it. In fact, I want to send ALL of my pens to Richard to have him work on them. I prefer F nibs for when I'm taking notes as my writing is on the small side, and fast. I also asked for an 8 in wetness, meaning you get a nice amount of ink on the paper (I like to see it "glisten," although this will vary depending on the ink you're using).

“It is forbidden to kill; therefore all murderers are punished unless they kill in large numbers and to the sound of trumpets.” Voltaire

"'The French Soldier,' pronounced Rostopchin, 'has to be incited to battle by high-sounding phrases; the German must have it logically proved to him that it is more dangerous to run away than to advance; but the Russian soldier has to be held back, and urged to go slowly!'" War and Peace

Yes, I agree that Richard's work is quite good. Aside from that, he is very, very cordial and responds to all my questions. He gives me the impression of truly being interested in connecting.

I recently purchased, thanks to Ray, a .5mm Cursive Italic nib for my VP and I love it. In fact, I want to send ALL of my pens to Richard to have him work on them. I prefer F nibs for when I'm taking notes as my writing is on the small side, and fast. I also asked for an 8 in wetness, meaning you get a nice amount of ink on the paper (I like to see it "glisten," although this will vary depending on the ink you're using).

With an 8/10 wetness using the stock ink he put into your pen for reference, did it dry out quick? Or did you have to wait a while to turn pages after writing so as not to smear everything? I love inky pens but only if they dry off in a short second or two (I suppose this depends both on wetness and the ink itself). Can you tell me more about your experience with the 8/10 wetness?

Anyone here use a stub italic?

I have a Stub Italic with a little flex swimming back from the UK.

Oxonian has cut it for me.

It is in a Gold Filled Targa.

Not sure of the size of it. If it's anything like the nib he cut for the Parker 61 he sent me, I'll have a heck of a time

deciding which to carry every day.

Happy Thanksgiving...EVERYONE!

Steve

Edited by luckygrandson
AWN%252520ADD.jpg

With an 8/10 wetness using the stock ink he put into your pen for reference, did it dry out quick? Or did you have to wait a while to turn pages after writing so as not to smear everything? I love inky pens but only if they dry off in a short second or two (I suppose this depends both on wetness and the ink itself). Can you tell me more about your experience with the 8/10 wetness?

I have 0.6mm stub from Richard which is a joy to use. If you have extra cash, I suggest getting an extra stub nib. The great thing about the VP is that the nibs are easily interchangable.

Mike

Only when the last tree has died and the last river been poisoned and the last fish been caught will we realise we cannot eat money.

- Cree Indian Proverb

I prefer the Stub Italic (but as with anything, preferences are personal things).

Here is a scan of a Binder 0.8mm Stub Italic nib (Noodler's Ellis Island ink) and a Sailor Music nib (Homebrew Blue ink). Paper is Rhodia 5mm grid.

http://i122.photobucket.com/albums/o254/photoboris/BinderStubvsMusic.jpg

It is a truth universally acknowledged, that a single man in possession of a good fortune, must be in want of nothing at all...

I can't argue with the 6/10 wetness, as that's my preference. I'd find a .6mm stub not very satisfying, however. I've both a .9mm cursive Italic (by Richard B.) and a .9mm stub (by SMG) and find them quite suitable for everyday writing; as one would expect, the cursive Italic gives more line variation than the stub. YMWV, thus only you can decide.

Edited by Rufus

Bryan

"The greatest lesson in life is to know that even fools are right sometimes." Winston S. Churchill

I picked up a Binderized .6mm stub for my VP at the DC Supershow. It's easy to write with even if one writes quickly, as I do, gives a bit of subtle line variation, and is very smooth.

I love my .8mm Binder. So sassy.

Fool: One who subverts convention or orthodoxy or varies from social conformity in order to reveal spiritual or moral truth.

I use an M on mine and I think I'm going to get a 0.6mm stub. The 0.8mm looks a little bit too wide to suit my writing.

http://twitter.com/pawcelot

Vancouver Pen Club

Currently inked:

Montegrappa NeroUno Linea - J. Herbin Poussière de Lune //. Aurora Optima Demonstrator - Aurora Black // Varuna Rajan - Kaweco Green // TWSBI Vac 700R - Visconti Purple