Why bother with Cross?

RevAaron

I kind of like Cross, they seem to be a nice honest pen-maker that doesnt rely on bs to get customers.. And I've heard quite nice stories about that Lifetime guarantee they offer on their (all of them?) products

However I cant say anything of their fountain pens as I only have a pencil and a bp pen, but you gotta admit, even those look unique and are well made

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• OcalaFlGuy

• RevAaron

• tnmike1

• GARY UK

I confess to NOT being a Cross fan,except to their original art deco styled FP from

the late 30's....I'll even take their similar remake that they sold not too long ago.

The Cross pen--BP--that I have seen and used was the silver,gold or copper model.

Too skinny for my hand;always gave me a cramp in my hand.

John

Irony is not lost on INFJ's--in fact,they revel in it.

Just a couple of quick historical notes:

Stylographic pens are not really at all the same as ballpoints, whether in terms of mechanical design or writing quality. They are actually very pleasant to use -- lack of need for pressure and all that.

It's really difficult to find examples of Cross fountain pens (stylographic pens excluded) predating the 1980s or so. The focus was very much on pencils -- their own, and mechanisms provided to most of the big pen makers of the time. I've been collecting early Cross fountain pens for years, and I only have a handful.

Hi; I'm brand new to this forum. I've had fountain pens since I was at school, and still have the Parker 45 that I took my A-level exams with. I've just been given a Cross Apogee which seems a nice pen. I'd appreciate comments from folk about it - good and bad, so that I get an idea as to how the experts rate it!

Hi; I'm brand new to this forum. I've had fountain pens since I was at school, and still have the Parker 45 that I took my A-level exams with. I've just been given a Cross Apogee which seems a nice pen. I'd appreciate comments from folk about it - good and bad, so that I get an idea as to how the experts rate it!

You may want to go to the Pen Review Forum and conduct a search using the button near the top right of your screen. You can also look at the top few subfora and find posted reviews of a great many pens, the Apogee included. The Apogee is a fine pen.

My old man swears by Cross, but he is a BP man

The voice of this guitar of mine, at the awakening of the morning, wants to sing its joy;

I sing to your volcanoes, to your meadows and flowers, that are like mementos of the greatest of my loves;

If I am to die away from you, may they say I am sleeping, and bring me back home.

http://img356.imageshack.us/img356/7260/postminipo0.pnghttp://img356.imageshack.us/img356/8703/letterminizk9.png

I have now two cross pen, one Apogee Staccato and one Verve Platinum, esthetically both are beautiful pens, and also their nibs writes very well (both are fine nibs with the right smoothness and wetness). The only problem has been the fact that I discovered that the Verve is very difficult to use without transferring ink to the fingers, so as I'm not using it very much.

In the end it seems to me that Cross is quite a decent brand that merits to have its space in the writing instrument market.

Alfredo

(I'm very close to my 500th post)

Edited by alfredop

• 2 weeks later...

First of all...

CROSS MAKES FOUNTAIN PENS?!!! :yikes:

Okay, that out of the way, I've had a Century I BP for years, and I would say that I like the way it looks, but I hate the way it writes. I have never been able to tolerate using it fo rlong because I have never found a refill for it that had anything better than a weak grey (not black) line that tends to cough and splutter all the time. I've used a number of other brand pens that use the same refills and again, they never work. Armed with this new knowledge that they make good fountain pens and back them up so well, I will be paying this brand some closer attention.

Thanks for the enlightening discussion!

Cross is one of those brands that you think you know, but you really don't know.

From what i have read so far, most people associate cross with ball points. That is quite correct, probley their biggest market, but I have a small passion for cross fountain pens and I can confirm that they are well up their in terms of style and quality.

The towsend's are very elegant, but quite large and heavy.

The first gen. Century's are light, very well made, and are so smooth (I have a 1980's rolled gold fine nib).

The newer Century's I find less atractive, but faily larger that the first.

Verves are curious, so curious that I have 3, fine, med and bold (I like the Merlot med.)

Modern Cross pens are good deals, quality, fair priced and great writers.

I think that their biggest problem is no "ahhhhh". They just are not as desirable as MB, Omas and others...

Maybe it's all about "presence" and "personality" and not just "quality"

Cheers,

Miguel