Why bother with Cross?

RevAaron

I apologize for the inflammatory topic, but I figured if I got your attention I might get a few responses...

I've never used a Cross, but they're one of those companies that is completely off my radar- there something very background noise bland about their pens that has made them the only mid/major FP company I can think of that has inspired so little interest, such that I've never really done any proper looking-into.

Part of it is that you see so few vintage Cross pens.

My question is: what's their deal? What's Cross's ethos, flavor, or spirit? What about vintage Cross pens- what are they like? What are the nibs like? Do they make them, or does another company?

I know it's a very broad question, but it's answerable for most companies, if only in the generalities, or by limiting to their flagship line.

Aaron

WTB: Lamy 27 w/ OB/OBB nibs; Pelikan 100 B nib

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• OcalaFlGuy

• RevAaron

• tnmike1

• GARY UK

don't know what you consider "vintage" but I've got a Townsend from the late 1980s, a brownish/reddish mottled pen with 18k gold nib. Lovely pen to use, altho a bit heavy. Recently bought a new townsend and an ATX on ebay and love the guys--reasonably inexpensive writers with decent nibs--altho not the 18k that my original Townsend has.

So they may be off your radar, but honestly, they're not bad pens in the lower-to mid-price ranges.

Knoxville TN & Palm Coast FL

I can't shed alot of light on the vintage angle. I suspect alot of Cross's income thru the years

came from their ballpoints, especially thru commercial contracts with companies where they

were given as rewards, etc; I was shocked to recently see a vintage (50's) Cross FP in the

marketplace that was a piston filler. Not only did I have no idea there was such a thing but I

couldn't find any reference to it on the Cross website in their product history area.

I would like to address your root question though.

I will agree that Crossi are often poohpaaed as some focus on them "just making metal pens".

Though that may be the case, that also has them missing out on some of the really neat lacque

finishes ON those metal pens.

To me, Cross has two VERY STRONG suits, overall pen quality and customer service.

Take a spin thru this forums archives. What you won't see is thread after thread about people

complaining about problems with their pens. What you will see is people being amazed at how

well even the cheapest pens Cross makes write. You won't see situations of people having to send

pens back to Cross 4 or 5 times before they are finally fixed or finally giving up and tossing the pen

in a drawer never to be used again. You won't see instances of people with nice pens who unfortunately

don't have the original paperwork being SOL when it comes time to have a problem with a pen of theirs

fixed. You WILL see numerous reports of some person being the multiple owner down the line of a

Cross pen, sending it in for repair and having it fixed THE FIRST TIME or replaced by Cross with no

bickering, bitching or pleading necessary. You won't see Cross doing remakes of their most popular

pens and having them be such POS they are avoided like the plaque. People STILL pay pretty high

prices at will whenever a 150 anniversary Cross pen comes up for sale.

Cross even appears to have been able to do something else the other pen "big boys" haven't and

that's take their production overseas without a resulting loss of quality in the finished product.

IMNSHO, the FP Snootista who judge Crossi by "their covers" and shy away from them miss out

on a usual fine writing instrument with their nearsightedness.

Bruce in Ocala, FL

Hi Aaron,

Great topic! I've always wondered myself. I had a Cross Verve once - looks great but just didn't gel with it. Gave it to my dad.

Regards,

Soki

http://i1027.photobucket.com/albums/y331/fuchsiaprincess/Fuchsiaprincess_0001.jpg http://fc02.deviantart.net/fs71/f/2010/036/2/2/Narnia_Flag_by_Narnia14.gif

I like this topic! I just today fired up my Cross Townsend in Citrine that I had given up on. When I first purchased it - it was my grail pen before I got it - the nib was detached from the feed and so did not write well.

After more about two years, I finally sent it off to Cross to have it fixed and now I am starting to write with it again. Suddenly it writes very smoothly and I think they've fixed the problem. Now I can finally enjoy my pen, as I had wanted! :D

In other words, it looks like Cross got it right when I sent it in to them, though I am still disappointed that the pen was defective when I bought it.

Erick

Using right now:

Visconti Voyager 30 "M" nib running Birmingham Streetcar

Jinhao 9019 "EF" nib running Birmingham Railroad Spike

Pelikan M1000 "F" nib running Birmingham Sugar Kelp

Sailor King of Pens "M" nib running Van Dieman's Heemskerch and Zeehaen

Cross makes very durable, reliable pens and backs them up, as others have said. They continue to write flawlessly for decades, long after other pens' pistons begin leaking or their bodies cracking. In my assessment, Cross parallels Yard-O-Led in quality and service although their design and construction differ markedly. I think it is important to support a quintessentially American company that offers these qualities.

I think that they make the best mechanical pencils ever, bar none. I really love the aerodynamic shape of the Century mech. pencil. I also like the sleek silver ballpoints.

Cross+boring. They are boring because they work. Good nibs, excellent service and support, they just get forgotten like an old ford pickup that just keeps working day in, day out.

Let courage rise with danger, and strength to strength oppose.

There is no snooze button on a cat wanting breakfast.

http://img525.imageshack.us/img525/606/letterji9.png

When I tell people I collect pens, most say "Yeah, I got a Cross..."

This is Cross flavor or spirit (as RevAaron mentioned)! Everyone knows Cross, and has probably bought one as a gift, or for themselves at one time or another.

I have a Matte Grey BP/MP set that I have had about thirty years now. I also have my grandfather's silver BP as well. He passed more than thirty years ago, so this is certainly form the late 60's early 70's. I have a Metropolis RB, and the Tech III as well.

Funny I have no FP's, but I do love Cross products!

"Celebrating Eight Years of Retail Writing Excellence"

"When, in the course of writing events, in becomes self-evident that not all pens are created equal"

Federalist Pens and Paper (Online Pen Store)

facelogobooks.png.7b61776c10ce24852b00693f4005dc72.png

Use Forum Code "FPN" at Checkout to Receive an Additional 5% Discount!

Must say I noticed the ATX the other day in the new FPH catalog. Nice colors and design...I'm considering throwing one on the Christmas list. :hmm1:

I want to add that the quality of Cross nibs is generally superb. The nibs on the Solo, Metropolis, Century Classic, Century 2000, Townsend, etc., to me are second to none among modern western pens; only the Japanese nibs (Sailor, Platinum, Pilot) to me are equal or better (yes, I know that Pilot made the Solo nibs). Also, I agree that the mechanical pencils are great as well. My Metropolis FP and MP make a fantastic pair, as do my Solo FP and MP, and my Century Classic set, and my Century II set, and my ATX set, and...Well, you get the idea.

RevAaron, interesting question. When I think of Cross, I think of ballpoint pens only. For Parkers, I think of fountain pens and rollerball. For Waterman, I think of fountain pens only.

m( _ _ )m (– , –) \ (^_^) /

Must say I noticed the ATX the other day in the new FPH catalog. Nice colors and design...I'm considering throwing one on the Christmas list. :hmm1:

If you want to try an ATX check on Fleabay. There are a couple Cross resellers there that

routinely have ATXs with starting bids of $14.99-19.99. These are some of the pens that

others on The Bay have BIN prices of $85 for. In the past month, DeaconKC and I both got

new ATXs for $20 shipped (thought we did have to spring for $5 each for a converter). I

think a Waterman Phileas for $25-30 makes a great first pen, but a new $60-85 ATX for $20-25

blows even that decent pen out of the water.

Bruce in Ocala, FL

Cross has some really fun pens, and one doesn't have to shell out a lot to get them. And they work.

http://www.coloradopen.com/images/uploads/CenturyII_Paisley_Blue.png

deirdre.net

"Heck we fed a thousand dollar pen to a chicken because we could." -- FarmBoy, about Pen Posse

It was Cross that started this whole FP odyssey for me, so I will always be loyal to them, but some key points are:

• the nibs are sublime and guaranteed mechanically for a lifetime;
  • the pens are great value and very affordable;
  • the styling is considered dull, but IMO, the CII is an iconic piece of American design; and
  • their new leatherware range is very modern, and might just encourage some new fans!

Leonie

@leoniethomas18

If you want to try an ATX check on Fleabay. There are a couple Cross resellers there that

routinely have ATXs with starting bids of $14.99-19.99. These are some of the pens that

others on The Bay have BIN prices of $85 for. In the past month, DeaconKC and I both got

new ATXs for $20 shipped (thought we did have to spring for $5 each for a converter). I

think a Waterman Phileas for $25-30 makes a great first pen, but a new $60-85 ATX for $20-25

blows even that decent pen out of the water.

Bruce in Ocala, FL

Bruce is right on the money. I just received an ATX that I won on ebay for $22. I spent another $4 for a converter (in the mail). Will ink the pen when the converter arrives.

After reading so many positive posts throughout the forums about this pen, I decided I had to give it a try. It's a real steal at th eprices to be had on ebay. Most of the BIN prices are $85.

I have a Cross sterling Townsend.

The nib was made italic by John Mottishaw

This is a wonderful pen and at least the equal of any other in my collection

Nowadays I recommend Cross to anyone looking for a pen and doesn't want a piston filler

{Did someone say Cross made piston fillers? Tell me more.)

Solitaire

Interesting and provoking question. I was in the same position as you a couple of months ago. Boring slim metal pens and a boring brand flavour.Then I saw the Cross Sauvage (18k gold nib) and couldn't resist the shape and design and got one at a real good price at ebay. I had no high expectations (only hopes) on the writing quality, but it turned out to be a great writer. A smooth, responsive pen with a perfect wet line, well balanced and a comfortable grip.

This has made me think quite a lot about your other question about the "ethos, flavour and spirit" and how important "branding" has become today. It has always been important, but not so much as the recent years. I must admit that I feel quite foolish when I have begun to realise how influenced I am by these superficial values that the PR departments among various brands are trying to create.

The most obvious example must be the contemporary MB. They hade had a well known growth of quality related issues during recent years and at the same time been extremely successfull in becoming the no 1 luxury brand. (By here I don't mean to say that they make rubbish pens, but that they have problems with maintaining a high and flawless standard for each pen they deliver, that they, at their level, shouldn't have).

I thus think that one of Cross' biggest problems is that they are still looked upon as a boring brand. They make great pens with a lot of value for the money. Their pen lines are more varied today and consists of a lot more than these slimlined pens. It is a pity and it's a bit saddening that we are so very susceptible to the different "values" that the brands pay huge amount in PR money to get associated with.

Just some thoughts.

I've never used a Cross, but they're one of those companies that is completely off my radar- there something very background noise bland about their pens that has made them the only mid/major FP company I can think of that has inspired so little interest, such that I've never really done any proper looking-into.

My question is: what's their deal? What's Cross's ethos, flavor, or spirit?

Aaron

*****the dandelion blog is right here*****

*****the dandelion flickr is right here*****

How nice to stumble out of bed, get a cup of coffee, and find a Cross adoration thread! :clap1: I think everything has already been said - but I'll say again -------- the nibs are fantastic. I have both 18K and steel nibs in my five Townsends. I can't tell the difference when writing - the steel nibs are equally smooth. As for appearance - I like the lacquer Townsends better than the all metal. But, if you have several Townsends, you can mix and match caps and change the looks of your pen wardrobe. For example, I thought my Townsend Medalist was a bit too shiny. No problem, I put the Medalist cap on one of my lacquer pens and I put a lacquer cap on a Medalist barrel. A new look! BTW, I think the Townsend is beautiful! I love the double rings on the cap.

I don't know why Cross is so under-loved. I can think of one particular brand that people positively swoon over. (I won't name this brand since I don't want to start a war.) I had to have one just to see what everybody was talking about. Ha! This rock-star pen is not worthy to shine the finger prints off my cheapest Townsend. I know there's no accounting for taste when it comes to appearance, but where the nib hits the paper - the rock-star pen just doesn't compare to the incredibly smooth Cross nibs.

Judybug

So many pens, so little time!

http://img244.imageshack.us/img244/5642/postcardde9.png

My Blog: Bywater Wisdom