Krone Boulder - Chinook

KendallJ

Season's Greetings, Ghost Plane!

I totally understand the hunt for the perfect nib. I'm a B lover and finding them is a real search sometimes. Apparently a percentage vanish into oblivion with people grinding them into exotic shapes and sizes.

I'm hoping you enjoy these pens. They're wet and smooth, so if you do need a grind, I'm assuming without any knowledge or experience at all that you'll have plenty of good nib to work with an easy flow.

I got two Boulders this year. One was perfect out of the box, the other I sent in when my Architectus developed a piston leak [that purple insert in the case was how I learned about the warranty] and asked them to "tweak" it as it would skip a little. Came back perfect and they put it in a nice little pen bag when they shipped it back. :thumbup:

Thank you very much for your optimistic hopes for the fine-tipped Boulder Thunderbird that I am receiving as a gift (via direct shipping from the Fountain Pen Network). I am hoping for the best, but I have had such incredible reliability and performance with Pelikan's piston-mechanism fountain pens that I must make certain that I do not overreact if the Krone Boulder and I take a while to "get acquainted" and if there are any glitches.

Note: To avoid the risk of anyone thinking that I am a "Pelikan chauvinist," ;) I know that no fountain pen is without its flaws or idiosyncrasies (or "personality"), and that no manufacturer can ensure that each pen leaves the factory in "perfect" condition; plus, piston mechanisms are complex and there are many different designs. (In addition, I own a cartridge/converter Pelikan -- a fine-nibbed, blue-matte aluminum Technixx fountain pen that has proven to be very reliable (converter and bottled ink only), nor has the finish shown any evidence of being prone to scratches or other damage, as I have read in two reviews...probably because I truly pamper the few fountain pens I own.) ;)

I have never owned a vintage Pelikan fountain pen, or a modern Pelikan piston-filler more expensive than a Pelikan Tradition 215 fountain pen (black cap and blue barrel with white stripes) with an extra-fine nib. Ironically, this Pelikan is the most expensive one that I own -- perhaps because the barrel is brass covered by plastic -- despite fact that it has a silver (not gold-plate) nib and is apparently not classified as a member of the Souverän (perhaps because of the nib); I did manage to get one with an extra-fine nib, although the 215's smallest nib is fine. (I believe I got an extra-fine nib swap from the seller, so I actually have a gold-plated Souverän nib.)

In addition, I realize that the Pelikan Souverän extra-fine nibs do not meet Richard Binder's standards of quality, and I value Richard's opinion very highly. I would love someday to be able to afford a Souverän M800, or perhaps an M1000, Pelikan fountain pen, but as I continue my quest for the "perfect" extra-fine nib, I would be wise to have Richard "fine tune" the extra-fine nib of these Souverän pens. (I have never had a problem even with the M200-series of Pelikan Souverän fountain pens, although one of my cats knocked my first one onto the hardwood floor after I stepped away from my desk for a split second, and I found out that a Pelikan Souverän is no match for such a drop, although it was not much over a meter, and that the barrels split wide open and the ink flows freely.) :rolleyes: (My interest in the two largest Souverän Pelikan pens is due mainly to my desire for a well-made, piston-filling fountain pen with the highest ink capacity possible. I am sure the respective ink capacities of the Souverän Pelikan line are available somewhere, although I have not yet found this information.)

To return to the subject at hand, Ghost Plane, I will give the Krone Boulder a fair chance -- the ergonomics, the piston-filling mechansm, the ink flow, and the fine nib -- although I have been using a fine-nibbed Sheaffer Legacy Heritage (which I've returned to Sheaffer to exchange the nib for an extra-fine) and an extra-fine-nibbed Legacy Touchdown pen, which is among the smoothest and best performing extra-fine nibs that I have ever used. (The Legacy Heritage, incidentally, was made in the Czech Republic, whereas the Legacy was made in the United States.)

I am getting ready to ship a fine-tipped Sheaffer Intrigue back to Sheaffer for warranty work, mainly because of the "scratchy" and skipping fine nib. Someone else sent me another fine-nibbed Intrigue, which arrived today, and I hope it has a smooth nib. Compared to the problematic Intrigue's fine nib, I hope that the Krone Boulder will have a smooth nib, and I will have to decide if the width of the strokes is satisfactory or too wide, although I have no idea what this type of nib adjustment typically costs, and I am very tight on funds at present.

I am glad that you understand my obsession with extra-fine nibs, Ghost Plane. Extra-fine nibs seem riskier purchases, at least on-line, than fine nibs, because there are, of course, no standards for nib sizes. The extra-fine nib on my NOS Sheaffer Legacy writes like a dream, but the extra-fine nib on my Lamy 2000 performs more like the fine nib on my Pelikan Technixx! (As soon as the Lamy comes back from warranty repairs because the cap won't stay posted, I will try to get estimates to have the nib fine tuned.)

Therefore, I have no way of knowing what the Krone Boulder's fine nib will be like, so I will hope for the best! :)

Perhaps my strong preference for extra-fine nibs is actually dampening my enjoyment of modern fountain pens? There are many wonderful modern and vintage pens that come with fine or medium nibs only, after all!

I certainly do not want all of my fountain pens to produce such similar stroke-widths that I deprive the pens of their "personalities"! (I would be inflicting some kind of "ballpoint pen uniformity" on my fountain pens!)

I do not want the "perfect" extra-fine nib to become a blind obsession, but I have not used a medium nib since I got my first fountain pen at age 12 (1972). I essentially "guide" a pen's nib across the paper, apply only enough pressure to keep the nib in contact with the pressure. If I applied more pressure when writing with a fountain pen, extra-fine nibs certainly would not be appropriate!

I look forward to trying out the Krone Boulder, Ghost Plane, and I respect your favorable comments. I will post a report as soon as the pen arrives and I have tried it.

Thank you for your response, patience, time, and advice!

Cordially,

David

<http://ddickerson.igc.org/>

"In a world of absurdity, we must

invent reason; we must create

beauty out of nothingness."

-- Elie Wiesel

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• DavidMD

• Ghost Plane

• Doug C

• KendallJ

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

David, since I have the same quest, in the opposite direction, for the perfect B, I completely understand. I look forward to hearing your experience. Since I don't know how the finer nibs run in these pens, it will be educational for me as well.

The sale at FPH is a great deal.

I have 4 Krones, two of which are FP's, and they both perform very well. Neil Frank at Santa Fe Pens suggested that I try the extra fine nib, and I am glad I did (he also put one of the XF's in one on my Marlens).

The one time I had a problem, I was quoted a price from Dana at Krone, and after I got the pen back, they decided there would be no charge.

I also got the pen back in a matter of a few weeks (as opposed to months from some of the other Italian companies). These are great, underappreciated pens, and they have good service.

I wish they would update their website, and stop called the non L E's 'fashion' pens. I think this is why some people think they are not serious writing instruments.

the Danitrio Fellowship

Greetings, Ghost Plane and Doug!

Thank you each for your respective messages.

I opened the parcel from the Fountain Pen Hospital this morning. I had just enough time to inspect the Krone Boulder Thunderbird fountain pen visually, but I have not yet had time to test out the fine nib yet, Ghost Plane.

(Doug, when Neil Frank at Santa Fe Pens suggested that you "try the extra fine nib," was he referring to an extra-fine nib offered as an option by Krone or a custom nib? Given my obsession with extra-fine nibs, I am naturally very curious!) :)

I am impressed by the color and aesthetics of the barrel and nib. The pen feels "sturdy," but not heavy or difficult to balance, and I always write with the cap on my fountain pen.

I looked inside the cap of the Krone Boulder Thunderbird and it appears to have a thick, protective inner plastic lining, which impressed me.

The pen apparently was just put in the gift box, closed, and put inside the cardboard protector. The pen was not tucked under the loop in the gift box, nor was it in a cellophane protector (which has been typical for most of the new fountain pens I have received in such boxes).

Beneath the pen was a small piece of paper -- actually, a poor quality photocopy -- with brief instructions on how to fill the pen with ink. This small photocopied instruction sheet was trimmed by scissors, and a bit too closely on the right side.

I gently pried up the edges of the padding in the top and bottom of the gift box, expecting to find warranty information from Krone or at least small piece of glossy paper with the Krone logo and some text congratulating me on my Krone fountain pen. I found nothing except dried glue droplets.

Perhaps the pen's box lacked any printed material from Krone because it is being discontinued or is a clearance item? I was surprised at the initial impression I got when I first opened the gift box and saw the pen, I must admit.

Of course, before reading the filling instructions I took the cap off the pen, tried to get a "feel" for how it will be to write with the pen, and checked for cosmetic defects or obvious nib problems.

Given my experience with Pelikan's piston-mechanism fountain pens, I immediately started to turn the knob at the end of the barrel, to determine if it turned easily (but did not feel "loose") and felt durable. To my horror and shock, the knob came off in my hand! I just knew that I had broken the knob off of the piston mechanism!

I then read the directions for filling the pen, to discover that one is supposed to unscrew and remove the end of the barrel, and then turn the metal cylinder/controller to fill the pen with ink.

Although I was relieved that the pen was not broken, I must be totally honest in admitting that designing the pen so that one must remove the end of the barrel -- as opposed to the knob at the end of a Pelikan's barrel being a permanent part of the pen and the filling and flushing piston mechanism -- seems like a truly stupid idea! :unsure:

This fountain pen has a retail price of well over $300, considerably more than the Pelikan M200 series of piston-mechanism fountain pens. (Actually, you could get three M200 Pelikan fountain pens for $300.) Although the Fountain Pen Hospital is selling this pen at a special price, the pen should have the characteristics of a quality, piston-mechanism fountain pen.

Although I am very careful with all of my fountain pens, I cannot help but wonder not if, but when, I will misplace the end of this pen's barrel. I wonder if the warranty, which I have not read, covers the loss of the end of the Krone Boulder's barrel?

I am gradually getting over my initial shock at this design, and I am focusing now on filling the pen with ink and how the fine nib will write -- and if the width of the strokes will seem too wide for me -- and if the nib will be smooth (unlike the very scratchy fine nib of an unused, mint, Sheaffer Intrigue that I got last week and will be sending to Sheaffer to have the nibbed smoothed, under warranty).

I will also be interested in the ink capacity of the Krone Boulder. The Krone Boulder has no way to view the ink level, but each of us owns fountain pens that do not have this feature. I realize also that I may have to fill the pen a couple of times before I fill it efficiently.

Anyway, please do not think that I have a negative opinion of the Krone or any preconceived notions about my experience writing with the pen. I was, however, mortified when the end of the Krone's barrel came off in my hand, when I assumed -- incorrectly (obviously) -- that it was the knob to control the piston-filling mechanism! :)

I will report back after I have written with the pen!

Thank you for you time and responses!

Cordially,

David

P.S. -- Pardon my digression, but considering my overreaction to the end of the Krone Boulder's barrel coming off, I find it humorous that the instructions for filling the pen state that you must first remove the end of the cap before turning the metal mechanism, but then omit the step of putting the end of barrel back on before beginning to write with the pen! ;)

-- Elie Wiesel

David, the XF nib is a standard offering by Krone.

The piston fill mechanism that is currently offered by Krone/Marlen is, to my eye, almost more of a converter that has been permanently placed in the pen (as opposed to the Pelikan system that is really part of the pen body). I think that it might be a little easier to replace if there are problems with it.

I have one Krone and one Marlen that have this system, and it has always worked flawlessly. I also personally don't have a problem with having to take the blind cap off before filling. I think it cleans up the look of the pen.

the Danitrio Fellowship

Hello, Doug (and everyone else kind enough to respond)!

David, the XF nib is a standard offering by Krone.

The piston fill mechanism that is currently offered by Krone/Marlen is, to my eye, almost more of a converter that has been permanently placed in the pen (as opposed to the Pelikan system that is really part of the pen body). I think that it might be a little easier to replace if there are problems with it.

I have one Krone and one Marlen that have this system, and it has always worked flawlessly. I also personally don't have a problem with having to take the blind cap off before filling. I think it cleans up the look of the pen.

I was about to fill my Krone Boulder Thunderbird (fine nib) with ink today to try it out, but -- when I looked closely at the filling instructions, including the small images -- the end of the cap in the images is still on the pen (whereas the end of my barrel comes off) during the three-step filling process.

Your message, Doug, clearly indicates that the blind cap is supposed to come off the pen, and that one turns the metal cylinder to fill the pen, correct? I am relieved! After looking closely at the images in the filling instructions that came with the pen, I decided today that my pen was defective! :rolleyes:

Perhaps the Krone Boulder Thunderbird that I got from the Fountain Pen Hospital (FPH) did not include filling instructions from Krone in the pen's presentation box? Therefore, the FPH simply included photocopied, generic instructions for filling a piston-mechanism fountain pen?

Do you recall, Doug, what kind of filling instructions were included with your Krone fountain pen? (I believe the FPH makes it a policy to include filling instructions with every pen they sell, but I could be thinking of another seller.)

There is no brand name in the brief instructions -- a photocopy of a photocopy, it appears ;) -- but these generic, three-step instructions do not indicate that the end of the barrel comes off; instead, they show a pen similar to a Pelikan piston filler.

Your statement is a relief, Doug, as well as the fact that you know that an extra-fine nib is a standard option by Krone!

I will, however, have to find out from Krone if I can get a nib exchange (fine to extra-fine). Sheaffer does not charge for nib exchanges if you send them the fountain pen within thirty days of purchase, but the presentation box for my Krone Boulder came with no printed matter from Krone, such as a warranty slip or contact information.

The clip of my Krone (Boulder Thunderbird) appears to be made of pewter or silver, and the clip is discolored and has a greenish deposit in various spots (tarnishing, I presume). The greenish substance was even on the cap in a straight, raised row on the barrel, directly beneath the clip. The clip is in really disappointing condition, and I have never received a pen with a clip in such a horrible state!

I managed to remove this material from the barrel, except for where the "functioning end" of the clip touches the cap. The curved protrusion at the end of the clip -- which allows it to grip a shirt pocket, for example -- is covered heavily with this greenish deposit, at the point where it touches the cap, and even on the sides.

Have you had any problems with the clip tarnishing on a Krone Boulder fountain pen, Doug? I wonder how long my Boulder Thunderbird has been in storage, either at the Fountain Pen Hospital or perhaps at the distributor (or Krone). I have never seen such a discolored clip on a new fountain pen and I am not sure if I can clean the clip without damaging the barrel.

(I assume that tarnish remover for silver or pewter would damage the barrel, so I am afraid to try to address the problem of the discolored barrel.)

Finally, Doug, have you found the removable blind cap to be fairly durable? When I first turned mine counterclockwise (the first step in filling the pen), it was very hard to get it to move.

When I put the blind cap back on, I have to give it a hard last couple of clockwise turns in order to get the blind cap to meet the barrel; although I am firm, but gentle, it feels as if I am using way too much force. I am, therefore, concerned about the plastic threads wearing or stripping.

(You mention, Doug, that the piston-mechanism in the Krone is not like the Pelikcan's mechanism, but I have never had to exert so much force to get the end of a Pelikan fountain pen to meet the barrel when filling the Pelikan with ink.)

I got Krone's phone number from their Web site, so I can ask about them cleaning the "gunk" and tarnish(?) from the clip under warranty (and if I can get a copy of the warranty), as well as the cost of the nib exchange. I can also express my concern about thread wear. (It would be wonderful if Krone's nib-exchange policy is the same as Sheaffer's!) :)

The alternative is to call the Fountain Pen Hospital and see if I can get an exchange for the same pen, without the discolored (tarnished and greenish) clip. Even if the FPH agrees, I would have to pay shipping and insurance a second time in order to get the pen to Krone for a nib exchange.

On the other hand, the FPH may want to know the condition of my Krone, because the clip tarnishing is not evident until you look closely at the clip (typically, when you are about to fill or write with the pen).

I truly do like this pen, Doug, although it seems best not to "ink" it now, if I am sending it back to the FPH -- or sending it to Krone for repair and a nib exchange.

I would be grateful for any suggestions or observations.

Thank you, everyone, for your patience, time, and help!

Cordially,

David

-- Elie Wiesel

I'd send it back to FPH! That tarnish is NOT normal. Neither of mine have it and haven't acquired it despite sitting around a humid Florida house. The blind cap seems to go on and off effortlessly on mine without having to force it. Sounds like you got a lemon. Darn! And after all the expectations too.

The Krone paperwork is purple and was in my pen boxes. Maybe mine were in another "batch".

Sorry you're having all those problems.

As Ghost Plane said, there have not been problems with tarnishing with mine, although I have purchased other pens (a Visconti comes to mind) that were closeouts, and had the same problem. I did clean mine with silver cleaner, and it fixed the problem.

I also have a Marlen Shuttle with a sterling cap, and it WILL tarnish. There is a chance that they might have changed the process at some point. Most of the Krone/Marlen clips seem to be a sand cast silver.

Again, as far as the filling system, all I can say is that: with the blind cap off (and it IS supposed to come off when you fill it), there have never been any problems with filling any of my pens. They all seem to work smoothly. My blind caps also seem to fit perfectly when you screw them back on. It is hard to tell that there is a gap there.

The only Krone I had a problem with was a Hyperbole, with the translucent purple finish (I love this little pen). It has a button filling system, and at some point the sac came loose. I sent it to Krone, and they had it back within about 3 weeks. No problems since.

Please give Krone a chance. I think that once you get a chance to actually write with the pen, you'll grow to love it (understanding that this is subjective, and it takes different things to float one's boat)...

the Danitrio Fellowship

Greetings, Ghost Plane!

I'd send it back to FPH! That tarnish is NOT normal. Neither of mine have it and haven't acquired it despite sitting around a humid Florida house. The blind cap seems to go on and off effortlessly on mine without having to force it. Sounds like you got a lemon. Darn! And after all the expectations too.

The Krone paperwork is purple and was in my pen boxes. Maybe mine were in another "batch".

Sorry you're having all those problems.

Thank you for taking time to respond and for your advice and observations.

I have no idea why I got no Krone paperwork with the pen, or why the clip is tarnished, unless the pen has been in FPH inventory for a long time.

I guess I should call FPH?

Thanks!

Cordially,

David

-- Elie Wiesel

Hi, Doug!

As Ghost Plane said, there have not been problems with tarnishing with mine, although I have purchased other pens (a Visconti comes to mind) that were closeouts, and had the same problem. I did clean mine with silver cleaner, and it fixed the problem.

I also have a Marlen Shuttle with a sterling cap, and it WILL tarnish. There is a chance that they might have changed the process at some point. Most of the Krone/Marlen clips seem to be a sand cast silver.

Again, as far as the filling system, all I can say is that: with the blind cap off (and it IS supposed to come off when you fill it), there have never been any problems with filling any of my pens. They all seem to work smoothly. My blind caps also seem to fit perfectly when you screw them back on. It is hard to tell that there is a gap there.

The only Krone I had a problem with was a Hyperbole, with the translucent purple finish (I love this little pen). It has a button filling system, and at some point the sac came loose. I sent it to Krone, and they had it back within about 3 weeks. No problems since.

Please give Krone a chance. I think that once you get a chance to actually write with the pen, you'll grow to love it (understanding that this is subjective, and it takes different things to float one's boat)...

Thanks for your time, the information, and your advice.

I guess that I will follow Ghost Plane's advice, although I then will have to send the replacement pen to Krone for a nib exchange (to extra-fine).

I sent Krone an e-mail last night, asking if I should send the pen to them for repairs and a nib exchange, or try to get a replacement pen from FPH first. (I hate to pay twice for the shipping and insurance, plus the possible cost of a nib exchange by Krone.)

I guess I will call FPH today to see if I can return the pen for an exchange and not a refund! :)

Thank you, again, Ghost Pland and Doug. I do want to give Krone a chance and I really wanted to put ink in my Krone Boulder Thunderbird and try it yesterday, but the clip is so tarnished that it looks like it is about five years old!

Thank you, again, and I will keep you informed. (I am eager to see how an extra-fine Krone nib performs; as you say, Ghost Plane, I am constantly in search of the "perfect" extra-fine nib!)

Cordially,

David

-- Elie Wiesel

I look forward to hearing the result of your travails. My Krones are such luscious writers that I want everyone to have that ultimate experience. :cloud9:

• 11 years later...

I’ve been writing with my recently acquired Krone Boulder Chinook with a Medium nib for about a week, and couldn’t be happier with it. It’s a sturdy pen, with beautiful resin, as described by the OP as well as Ghost Plane earlier in this old thread. The nib is moderately wet, and writes as well as any other nib in my stable. All in all I couldnt be more delighted with it.