Pearl with an Oak Leaf

bgray

:notworthy1: I think these say what needs to be said :puddle:

Damn fine work there, you've set a new bar as far as I can see.

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• bgray

• Deirdre

• Siv

• cowjelly

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I think that looks exceptional. I love the way the leaf wraps all the way around the pen...

Did you grind the leaf by hand or is there some CNC magic involved?

By hand.

I found a dental rotary tool. Variable speed and belt driven. Very cool machine.

It goes for around $600, and I got it all for free!

:)

Since getting laid off and going full time with penmaking, I've finally found the time to try a lot of the things that I couldn't before.

Thoughts?

:thumbup:

Best wishes if you-re looking for a new job, but if you keep producing this kind of piece I think you could seriously do this as your real job.

I was silently accumulating (I can't afford it in the short term :crybaby: ) for a Pearl, but now... :puddle:

P.S.: No, I won't ask to have a gondola engraved!

Ciao - Enrico

Diplomat #1961

http://i384.photobucket.com/albums/oo288/enricofacchin/poker-3.jpg

Daddy, please no more pens - we need food, clothes, books, DENTISTRY...

B,

Very Zen, very nice, very classy, very Brian. Good stuff, Sir!

John

Impressing work of art Brian, my sincere congratulations !

Sorry to hear about your loss of employment.

However seeing you unique & beautiful work, I'm rather confident your pen business will florish !

Francis

Impressing work of art Brian, my sincere congratulations !

Sorry to hear about your loss of employment.

However seeing you unique & beautiful work, I'm rather confident your pen business will florish !

Francis

Getting laid off was the best thing to ever happen to me! I didn't realize this for a couple of months, though...

That is a beautiful pen. Someday, I'll have the extra funds available and I'll have one of your creations.

Keith...

Keith L.

All I need is alittle Pen Therapy

Jeffersonville, IN

Getting laid off was the best thing to ever happen to me! I didn't realize this for a couple of months, though...

The old "blessing in an unpleasant disguise" trick. I wouldn't say being widowed was the best thing to ever happen to me, but my life after (once I was able to start picking up pieces) is way better than my life before.

deirdre.net

"Heck we fed a thousand dollar pen to a chicken because we could." -- FarmBoy, about Pen Posse

The old "blessing in an unpleasant disguise" trick. I wouldn't say being widowed was the best thing to ever happen to me, but my life after (once I was able to start picking up pieces) is way better than my life before.

That must have been rough. I'm sorry you went through it, but I'm very happy - for both of you - that life is really looking up!

That maple leaf Pearl is truly a lovely work of art. Price it accordingly. ;)

You are a multi-talented guy, Brian. It won't be long, now, and I'll be asking for my Pearl. :)

Scribere est agere.

To write is to act.

Danitrio Fellowship

Lovely work on the leaf, Brian.

Is that tool you are going to look at a Pen Wizard? I've been trying to figure out how to do a Doric style faceted pen.

Dan

"Life is like an analogy" -Anon-

http://i98.photobucket.com/albums/l279/T-Caster/DSC_0334_2.jpg

Lovely work on the leaf, Brian.

Is that tool you are going to look at a Pen Wizard? I've been trying to figure out how to do a Doric style faceted pen.

Dan

Yep. I'm headed there today to look at it.

I'm just hoping that it's a sturdy as I think it is. Jerry Beall has been a fantastic toolmaker/inventor for a long time. I love his products, so I'm sure it will be nice.

Finding a cutter wide enough to cut facets and also fit the 1/8" collet of a Dremel was not easy, but they are out there. My concern is not the sturdiness of the tool....it's the fact that with a wider cutter (wide relative to a Dremel tool), I will have to take very light passes. After all, this is a Dremel, not a router.

Also - the Pen Wizard is aimed at kit-makers. I don't use any mandrels like kitmakers do. I create my own custom threaded mandrels for each model pen.

So I'll have to make all new mandrels for any pen that I want to mount on this tool, and then will have to be threaded on both ends. One end to hold the pen, and one end to go into the tool's collet.

And then the tailstock also has to be altered, I think. I'll probably have to make a custom cone center, since I'm not using kit mandrels.

But this is still better than spending 1000 of a legacy mill, and it's still a small tabletop machine.

• 2 weeks later...

Woah, I totally just noticed that the nib has the Edison logo on it. That's very, very cool. You continue to surprise and impress me Mr. Gray. :thumbup:

Ben

http://benspens.wordpress.com/

"None of us can have as many virtues as the fountain pen, or half its cussedness; but we can try." - Mark Twain

• 1 month later...

Is this pen already sold? Will you be making more in the same technique? How much would it be, and how large is it?

Why yes, I love this pen. Why do you ask?