J. Herbin Bleu Myosotis

Malacoda

Hi All,

Here are my samples, observations, and thoughts on J. Herbin's Bleu Myosotis. Please note that each of the three sheets -- each a different type of paper -- contains notes or comments not found on the other two (both due to space constraints and to keep each one interesting :) )...

post-3148-1226451124_thumb.jpg

post-3148-1226452136_thumb.jpg

post-3148-1226451161_thumb.jpg

Overall I was pleasantly surprised. When I ordered it from Pear Tree Pens, I wasn't confident I'd like it -- but since there wasn't a review in the Ink Review Index for it, I thought I'd be daring and give it a shot...

Based on the online color charts I saw, I was expecting it toward much more of a powdery blue/gray side than the medium blue side (which I prefer). Don't get me wrong, it does have a touch of gray to it -- and even an ever so slight hint of violet mixed in -- but not enough, in my opinion, to diminish the blue character forming its basis.

Regards and enjoy,

John Mc.

John M.

Passionate pen junkie and all-out grilling addict.

www.addictedtogrilling.com

Nakaya Long Cigar Shu (unpolished)

• Replies 16
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Charles Skinner

• Malacoda

• tar heel

• jde

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Thank you for this outstanding, thorough review. This is a very lovely blue to me, and I'll have to try it out.

Cheers,

Julie

...writing only requires focus, and something to write on. —John August

...and a pen that's comfortable in the hand.—moi

J. Herbin sells all of their inks in carts, just to address one of you questions above. They come in a nifty little tin, though I suspect that is more interesting visually than it is practical. Each tin contains six carts.

J Herbin Bleu Myosotis, like many longtime-brand fountain pen blue inks, is "washable" (with plain hand soap or even just plain water) and can be chemically marked out by "eradicator" markers like the Pelikan Super-Pirat (now also available in the Super-Sheriff model, the same stuff inside). These are useful features (no ink is perfect for every possible use). Also like the other blues marked "washable," it can be faded a bit (not too much) by the sulfur in most paper.

Unlike many other ink manufacturers, J Herbin has been claiming, even recently, that no ill effects should come from drinking the stuff. I'm not interested in testing that.

If the bottle's shape is a problem, just put the ink in a different bottle. Especially good ones are empties from MontBlanc (which won't accomodate some extra-wide or extra-long nibs), Lamy, Levenger, Omas, Namiki, and Waterman, but other good choices are out there too.

• 1 month later...

Thank you for the very thorough review. I really like Herbin inks, but have not yet tried Myosotis. I plan to remedy that in the neaqr future.

• 2 months later...

Thank you for such a thorough review! Very useful.

May you have pens you enjoy, with plenty of paper and ink. :)

Please use only my FPN name "Gran" in your posts. Thanks very much!

Very nice and thorough review of a great ink. This used to be my favorite blue until I discovered Diamine Blue Sapphire!

J. Herbin sells all of their inks in carts, just to address one of you questions above. They come in a nifty little tin, though I suspect that is more interesting visually than it is practical. Each tin contains six carts.

Actually, I've found the tins make great storage containers for the nibs for my dip pens! :)

Great review--thanks for testing it on multiple papers in multiple pens! :thumbup:

Inks currently in pens: Noodler's La Reine Mauve, Rachmaninov, Prime of the Commons Blue-Black, Naval Orange, MN Whaleman's Sepia, Verdun Green, Majestic Orange; J. Herbin Violette Pensée, Rose Cyclamen, Orange Indien

Blog Twitter Facebook

I'm become very fond of this ink. More than with any of my other inks I find the color changes when it dries. It's quite blue when it's wet and dries to a lighter, slightly grey, blue. I love using it when I'm in the mood for a muted color rather than a bright one.

I should be receiving my tin of Bleu Myosotis cartridges tomorrow ~

and I ordered them before I even read this review.

Now I'm looking forward to writing in this color even more.

It looks lovely, especially the shading!

I usually use bottled ink, but ordered the carts for convenience when traveling.

Nice to know a good use for the tin when it's empty ~

currently my loose nibs are in an Altoids tin... :blush:

Thanks for a great review!

"I am probably exaggerating a little, but I owe my equilibrium to ink and paper."

~Julien Hartridge Green

• 9 years later...

I have had my bottle of J.Herbin Encre Bleue Myosotis sitting around for awhile, and today I loaded up one of my regular rotation pens with it, and was really surprised, ---- in a good way. ---- I call it a "soft" blue ---- does not jump out at you ---- does not scream "look at me," ---- "Sit down, relax, and write in your journal on this cool, rainy afternoon---- sort of ink!"

If other colors of this company's ink are this good, I would certainly try some of them!

Charles Skinner (serious journal writer since 1958, or so.) ----- Have trouble making time away from "pen and ink" to eat and take out the garbage!

Write on into that bright tomorrow!

Charles Skinner

I have had my bottle of J.Herbin Encre Bleue Myosotis sitting around for awhile, and today I loaded up one of my regular rotation pens with it, and was really surprised, ---- in a good way. ---- I call it a "soft" blue ---- does not jump out at you ---- does not scream "look at me," ---- "Sit down, relax, and write in your journal on this cool, rainy afternoon---- sort of ink!"

If other colors of this company's ink are this good, I would certainly try some of them!

Charles Skinner (serious journal writer since 1958, or so.) ----- Have trouble making time away from "pen and ink" to eat and take out the garbage!

Write on into that bright tomorrow!

Charles Skinner

J Herbin has another nice new blue, Bleu des Profondeurs.

And if you are open to a burgundy ink, do try Poussiere de Lune. I suspect you will find it eminently suitable for reflective writing.