new pen, preferring other than cartidge converter

memphislawyer

Guest Denis Richard

The ink level is very visible on the White Tortoise. As far filling goes, you're going to have the same issues with a piston filler. Only an ED filler would let you do what I think you want to do. I'm not absolutely sure what the problem really is... were you using the converter or just cartridges ?

Edited by Denis Richard

• Replies 26
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• memphislawyer

• OldGriz

• Kelly

• chainwhip

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

well, on the cartridge, i had to unscrew the bottom and then guesstimate if i had enough ink in the portion that was covered by the nib. so i guess i am wrong onthe piston, in that you have to let the ink out before refilling? if that is the case, why is piston preferred, other than it holds more ink?

this may open up more pens to me in that case. i mean, i can shop for bexleys or something around $150 or so, if the issues are the same. i can fill my ink every day if needbe, i just thought it was a hassle to let ink out before you could refill. now maybe i am wrong and the piston is preferred. that is what i get from not having more than one pen i guess

sam

Edited by memphislawyer

Guest Denis Richard

A converter is basically a removable piston. What I am not sure I understand is why it bothers you that ink is let out if refilling a non-empty pen. No step is added, you do exactly the same thing than if th epen was completely empty : dip nib in bottle, turn piston or converter nob down, then up, wipe...

Help me understand your issue Sam and we'll find you the best filling system. :D

sent you an email. i read that the piston works the same way, that is, you have to let some out. you cant just top it off. im fine with that. i also read that some pens that are piston dont hold any more than converters. so why do people prefer pistons unless it is just personal preference?

also, god, i am overwhelmed between delta, and aurora, and bexley and pens out there. it is more choices than shave creams denis, lol.

im thinking of a pelikan real hard. i wonder do i need one that is translucent so i can see how much ink, or heck, it really aint no big deal to check it out every couple of days or so. i have no idea how many pages that is, but i take notes in depositions and rarely do i write more than 3 pages at a time. even in trial. i concentrate too much on what the witness is saying and thinking of what i need to ask.

i do think i am gonna go with a medium nib. let the color of the ink show more depth.

sam

Just get a Visconti Travelling Inkwell.

:)

Geaux Tigers! Visça el Barça!

WTB: MB Kafka, Lamy Safari 2009 Orange, Pilot MYU (Black or Clear/White Stripe), Seiko FrankenTuna SKZ253 / SKZ255

Hi Sam,

I appreciate your feeling of being overwhelmed. I am also trying to decide what pen to purchase (see my post Lamy 2000 vs. Sailor 1911M).

I think the problem is that for the vast majority of us, it is simply impossible to go to a store and physically handle a pen before making a buying decision. Sure, it is possible to return a pen or sell it on one of the boards, however it would be nice to make the "best" decision the first time. The problem is, of course, what is best for me is not necessarily the best for you.

I think that I understand your preference for a piston filler vs. a converter. With a converter, you have to unscrew the pen, then twist the converter. With a piston filler, there is no need to unscrew the pen - you just screw the knob on the top of the pen to load the pen with ink.

After reading everyone's thoughts, I am as confused as ever. However, I must say that the Pelikan 605 on the Altman Luggage site looks pretty attractive!

Sean

yeah, i think i am there on that, almost. there are a lot of pens that look just as good. who knows

sam