new pen, preferring other than cartidge converter

memphislawyer

i have a charleston pen by waterman. i like it, as far as size and weight, but i dont like having to open the pen up to check on the ink level, and then say if it is half full, you have to empty it to fill it back up. so i am looking for a similar pen, not over $100, that might have a piston filler or other system, but not the cartridges. if anyone can suggest pens, and why they suggest that, and maybe explain the pros and cons of other fill systems

thanks

also, i can trade or sell the waterman chrleston

sam

• Replies 26
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• memphislawyer

• OldGriz

• Kelly

• chainwhip

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't own one (yet) but from what I've read, the Pelikan M200 series is a piston-fill pen that writes great and is under $100. You might even be able to find the transparent ones for less than $50.

Breastfeeding is the only 'natural user inteface'.

Sam,

I really don't see how you can go wrong with a Pelikan 200 if you are looking for a pen other than a C/C filler for under $100...

And even better, you can purchase an old style burgundy Pelikan 200 with a custom Binder nib for that price directly from Richard... I have 2 of the OS Burgundy pens and they are absolutely gorgeous... only one has a Binder nib, a .8 stub italic and it is smooth as silk with nice line variation....

If you want a standard nib instead of a Binder custom you can get that from Richard also for about $70....

I really can't think of any other pen that is not a C/C filler under that price...

And the Pelikans hold a load of ink...

tom: i am not set on $100. i mean, if someone recommended a universally-desired pen that was $150, im up for that. i dont know enough about writing styles to understand about a custom nib, but i can be led in that direction.

i read about the piston and i think that is more like a pump, am i right? i have read of some pens that have sacs that wear out? is the piston the system with the least amount of defects or problems? and is the pelikan 200 the same size as the charleston?

thanks for all the help guys. my first pen i bought strictly to get a pen and was based on price (well, it was a deal moreso than a phileas). i saw a deal on a m615 from betty. i am coming to conclude that perhaps the translucent pens are desireable because you can see how much ink. it was just a pain to try to guage whether i needed to fill my pen before i ran out of town. a piston would be easier to just fill it from where it is already full?

i have seen some bexleys i like and the visconti has an appeal. boy, i read some of the reivews and i salivate

if anyone wants to email me about a pen they have, i got no problem with that, lol

sam

sblaiss@gmail.com

I have a Pelikan M200 and a Lamy 2000, both of which are Piston fill. The Piston will works the same as converter, but is a permanent feature of the pen (twist one way to empty the ink, twist the other way to fill with ink). There is no sack, just a rubber gasket for the seal.

Here's a link to site with a basic description on the different fill types.

http://www.rickconner.net/penspotters/filling.html

The M200/250 certainly fits your bill. Also, you should, since you willing to go to $150, strongly consider a Danitrio raw ebonite pen. They can come with eye dropper filling systems which hold a ton of ink. I've got one en route now - there are many comments on them here (search for "densho" and read what comes up). While you can't see the ink level from outside, they hold so much more than other pens that it more than compensates for it.

"But God demonstrates His own love toward us, in that while we were still sinners, Christ died for us." (Rom. 5:8, NKJV)

Hi Sam,

While I do love the Pelikan M200/M215 series (really, it's one of my favorite pens), I'm not sure if you'd find the size a bit too small. If I remember some of your collection correctly (Signum and Conklin come to mind), it might be too short for you to feel comfortable with? Maybe.

The next pen I'm getting is a Taccia Andante (www.taccia.com this site or FPN for some great photos) - it's a great pen as Kendall and Apollo have attested to in their reviews/picts here. It's a piston filler and has some sweet celluloid designs (Black Cherry and Honey Bee are faves, I'm going for the Black Cherry). It's long pen, almost ridiculously so when posted but it might fit your hand better. A ss nib will cost you between $93-$95 depending where you buy it and a gold for about $170. I own 2 Taccias and love them, both in stainless and Binderized nibs but I did have one before Richard ground it and it was a smooth writer even then. Great pens and very well made, too. Just my two cents as it might be a brand you've overlooked. All the best in your hunt. I hope you find something that fits your needs and sensibilites :)

A hot wind was blowing around my head, the strands of my hair lifting and swirling in it, like ink spilled in water. ~ Margaret Atwood, The Blind Assassin

Of the filling mechanisms - probably the most durable in my experience would be the Parker aerometric fillers. They are legendary for needing little to no maintenance for extended periods of time. But you have to open the pen to see the ink level. Vacuum fillers, button/lever, touchdowns, and piston fillers all theoretically need some work at some point. Pistons probably require the least but there are others here who are likely more authoritative on that point.

Do you travel or spend a lot of time in court that puts the premium on having the pen inked and ready (without a bottle of ink nearby)? From those who travel it appears that cartridge pens get the nod as it is so easy to throw a couple extra cartridges in the briefcase before leaving. Or you could carry several inked pens (my approach! ;) )!

Anyway, knowing only the size and desire to have a large ink capacity a Pelikan 600 which will be a bit over your price would fit the bill. Large capacity piston filler in a size that is similar to the Charleston (you might find the 200/400 pens a bit small by comparison).

A pen a day keeps the doctor away...

Parker "51" flighter; Parker 75 cisele; Conway Stewart Dandy Demonstrator; Aurora 88P chrome; Sailor Sapporo ; Lamy 2000; Lamy 27 double L; Lamy Studio; Pilot Murex; Pilot Sesenta (Red/Grey); Pilot Capless (black carbonesque); Pilot Custom 74 Demonstrator; Pilot Volex; Waterman Expert 2000 (slate blue)

Under $100? Hmm...

Jim Gaston has a SE Legacy 2 at a good price:

http://www.jimgaston.com/close%20special.htm

It's a touch-down filler (last of the breed from what I understand) - I have a Legacy 2 in another color and I find myself always coming back to that pen.

There's always the very solid Lamy 2000 - this fits your criteria as it is a piston-filler with an ink window to allow you to check your ink level.

Pam Braun has them for a good price at http://www.oscarbraunpens.com or our own FPN'r xburninmystarsx has one for sale in the marketplace:

https://www.fountainpennetwork.com/forum/in...?showtopic=7989

** The usual disclaimer applies - no affiliation/business interests

Geaux Tigers! Visça el Barça!

WTB: MB Kafka, Lamy Safari 2009 Orange, Pilot MYU (Black or Clear/White Stripe), Seiko FrankenTuna SKZ253 / SKZ255

Of the filling mechanisms - probably the most durable in my experience would be the Parker aerometric fillers. They are legendary for needing little to no maintenance for extended periods of time. But you have to open the pen to see the ink level. Vacuum fillers, button/lever, touchdowns, and piston fillers all theoretically need some work at some point. Pistons probably require the least but there are others here who are likely more authoritative on that point.

Do you travel or spend a lot of time in court that puts the premium on having the pen inked and ready (without a bottle of ink nearby)? From those who travel it appears that cartridge pens get the nod as it is so easy to throw a couple extra cartridges in the briefcase before leaving. Or you could carry several inked pens (my approach! ;) )!

Anyway, knowing only the size and desire to have a large ink capacity a Pelikan 600 which will be a bit over your price would fit the bill. Large capacity piston filler in a size that is similar to the Charleston (you might find the 200/400 pens a bit small by comparison).

no, i dont really spend all that much time writing and i have ballpoints i can carry out of town. it is just that i wanted to use it this once out of town, and i had to unload the half full cartridge before i could fill it back up. seems like a pain, but maybe you can talk me out of it. the piston might seem easiest.

the charleston is the only pen i have. it is a good weight. id not want to go smaller than that though.

sam

Of the filling mechanisms - probably the most durable in my experience would be the Parker aerometric fillers.  They are legendary for needing little to no maintenance for extended periods of time.  But you have to open the pen to see the ink level.  Vacuum fillers, button/lever, touchdowns, and piston fillers all theoretically need some work at some point.  Pistons probably require the least but there are others here who are likely more authoritative on that point.

Do you travel or spend a lot of time in court that puts the premium on having the pen inked and ready (without a bottle of ink nearby)?  From those who travel it appears that cartridge pens get the nod as it is so easy to throw a couple extra cartridges in the briefcase before leaving.  Or you could carry several inked pens (my approach! ;) )!

Anyway, knowing only the size and desire to have a large ink capacity a Pelikan 600 which will be a bit over your price would fit the bill.  Large capacity piston filler in a size that is similar to the Charleston (you might find the 200/400 pens a bit small by comparison).

no, i dont really spend all that much time writing and i have ballpoints i can carry out of town. it is just that i wanted to use it this once out of town, and i had to unload the half full cartridge before i could fill it back up. seems like a pain, but maybe you can talk me out of it. the piston might seem easiest.

the charleston is the only pen i have. it is a good weight. id not want to go smaller than that though.

sam

I believe that Altman Luggage still has the Pelikan 605 on closeout at about $130... that would be a larger pen than the 200 and a solid gold nib... also beautiful silver appointments instead of gold...

I am hoping to get one this month... if I can sell some stuff I have...

the lamy seems to something to me, maybe lack of artistry, i dunno. the SE legacy, i dont think id enjoy the color

i was thinking pelikan 600 series, but any other ideas?

sam

sam

Apparently, I have had a total brain fade and for my above post had mistaken you for Handlebar! Sorry for that confusion on your pen collection - I still think the Taccia Andante is a good choice - best of luck and let us know what you decide :)

A hot wind was blowing around my head, the strands of my hair lifting and swirling in it, like ink spilled in water. ~ Margaret Atwood, The Blind Assassin

it is just that i wanted to use it this once out of town, and i had to unload the half full cartridge before i could fill it back up.

You could get a syringe and use it to top off the cartridge for travel purposes. Although if I remember right cartridges, being rigid, are not to subject to leaking because of air pressure changes.

Jim

One ink to find them,

One ink to bring them all

One ink to rule them all,

and in the darkness bind them..

tom: thanks for the suggestion. it is $129 and that is a good price. not too crazy about the solid blue (i like the blue with the lines in it, and i think the cap is solid black). they have a lot of pens, like duponts and viscontis.

feel free to suggest other pens, or tom, if you want to email me some of what you might want to sell me, if any, feel free.

seems that the piston filler is the easiest system and hold lots of ink. am i right that you do not have to empty out like with a catridge converter but can just pump more in? i sold my waterman, so i can get another cartridge pen if needbe, that is if the piston system is gonna be six of one, half a dozen of another. i do like the resins and the celluloid better than the look of the whtie charleston

sam

altmans has the m250 brown pen for $79 and the m400 in white tortoise for $119. dont know anything about those.

sam

You could spend far less than your $100 and get a Wality with a piston fill system. It is reliable, attractive, a good size (albeit a fine nib), holds a lot of ink, and in some models I think you can check the ink level from the outside.

Retail price is under $20. Many folks here think it writes just as well as pens costing over $100.

Andy

"Andy Hoffman" Sandy Ego, CA

Torrey View is Andy's BlOG and Facebook me! If you visit my blog, click on the ad. I'll send all proceeds to charity.

For my minutiae, FOLLOW my Twitter.

id consider it andy, but have not seen it much or at all. i have a catalogue from fountain pen hospital so i can see the pens at least in a pic. i found a krone regent line kensington from $250 to $98, and know that krone has a good rep but that is all i know. no explanation of the pen at FPH. im still looking around

sam

Guest Denis Richard

Hi Sam,

you definitely have to go for a piston filler, and I think a Pelikan is a winner for you. The Pelikan M400 is a gorgeous pen. It may be smaller than your Charleston. It's not a big pen, but it's really worth it. You should check Richard's Pelikan Size Chart to see which Pelikan size might fit you best.

Denis.

denis: i am thinking pelikan is what i want, but there is that krone at fountainpenhospital that i saw. i have seen some pens like bexleys that have a neat roller ball on the clip. but i loved the charleston as far as weight and length, i just hated the filling sytem and not knowing when i was out of ink or having to let out all the ink just to top it off. the piston sytem should correct that for me.

on the pelikans, is it easy to tell when you are low? if not, not that big of a deal since i dont have to let all the ink out just to fill it up

what do you think of the krone kensington black and blue. i love the look but dont know about krone. one guy compared it to the charleston but he had an accent. he did say capped, the pen was as long and as heavy as the charleston, which is fine. uncapped, it said it was 3 inches long, or maybe i misunderstood. if anybody calls them and can understand what he said, let me know, lol.

i read that the 200 series and the 400 series are really the same pen, as far as nib and weight and it is just the trim that differs. if so, id go 200 series. the 600 at altmans luggage is doable from a value standpoint

gudiance anyone>?

sam