Rotring Core question

markham

Hi Everyone,

I have a Rotring Core that I use as an everyday writer at work. The nib's firm enough that I can press down for carbon copies of forms I have to fill out, and I like how it gives my handwriting a slight width variation.

My Core has writing on the barrell as a part of its design, I assume, phrases such as "turn this way," "force resource," and "write-on system." As the Core is a German pen, my question is why are these phrases in English and not German? Do I have a Core that was produced for the American market, and the Cores sold in Germany have German inscriptions?

Any information would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Markham

• Replies 29
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Melnicki

• Slush99

• krz

• markham

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanks, Johnny. I was just wondering if a German-language Core exists. I checked the rotring.de website, but couldn't tell from the small images what the writing was.

I have not seen any "Core" with German inscriptions yet.

"dreh diese Richtung" instead of "turn this way" or "Kraftvorrat" instead of "force resource" seem to be in a way "uncool" or even ridiculous because those terms are not common use to inscript a tool or pen in German.

The English inscriptions fit to the pen.

Greetings from Germany

Ragman

I have not seen any "Core" with German inscriptions yet.

"dreh diese Richtung" instead of "turn this way" or "Kraftvorrat" instead of "force resource" seem to be in a way "uncool" or even ridiculous because those terms are not common use to inscript a tool or pen in German.

The English inscriptions fit to the pen.

Greetings from Germany

Ragman

I would think that was pretty cool because I wouldn't have known what it meant. :D

Humankind cannot gain anything without first giving something in return. To obtain, something of equal value must be lost.

Begun, the Spam Wars Have.

How to Be a Perfect Lady: according to the media - a satire

The Adventures of Chewie

Since we're talking about the Rotring Core (better to keep these topics consolidated?) >>

I'm trying to clean out the ugly blue ink that was in the cartridge that came with the pen... It's time to give this monstrosity (the Core) the big test -- If it behaves well when I give it Noodler's I may allow it visitation rights with the rest of my other pens. (If not... I'll trade it in for a sock... okay a pair of socks... okay a three-pack)

So has anyone noticed that this pen has holes at the base of the nib attachment that prevents you from flushing the pen out with water?!!! It seems like the only sane way to clean the feed is to use a converter (which the Ebay seller neglected to send, even after I asked twice!) but I don't have one. Soak nib in water for a while? As if its ugliness wasn't enough to complain about.

Also, it does not write smooth at all!!! Pointy sharp nib! I'd take my cheapie Hero over it any day!!

More complaints: how do you hold the damn thing? It feels most comfortable held sideways... But no no no, you can't do that!!!!

Love,

MM.

Click for Ink Scans!!

WTB: (Blemished OK)

CdA Dunas // Stipulas! (esp w/ Titanio nib) // Edison Pearl

Hi,

Melnicki, I will take your Core if you want.

I have a special tool to flush Cores, but I will take it to fiddle with, but I can't write with one because my hands are too small.

Most of the Rotring Cores I have fixed were quite nice though.

Dillon

Stolen: Aurora Optima Demonstrator Red ends Medium nib. Serial number 1216 and Aurora 98 Cartridge/Converter Black bark finish (Archivi Storici) with gold cap. Reward if found. Please contact me if you have seen these pens.

Please send vial orders and other messages to fpninkvials funny-round-mark-thing gmail strange-mark-thing com. My shop is open once again if you need help with your pen.

Will someone with the name of "Jay" who emailed me through the email system provide me an email address? There was no email address provided, so I can't write back.

Dillon

fixed as in they were broken and you made them work again,

or

fixed as in you made them tolerable to use and look upon?

i think i'm going to hang on to the core for a bit despite my gripes. people say they grow on you. and the fact that it is very different from all my other pens is actually an advantage. there will be a time and place when it is just the pen i need.

Click for Ink Scans!!

okay mental note (to me, and hopefully to people that haven't considered this):

Don't jump to conclusions about a new pen until you've tried your own ink in it.

The rotring Core wrote pretty crappily with the blue ink cartridge that came with it. I have since emptied it and refilled with Tiananmen. While the pen is still far from a satisfying write, it puts down one of the finest lines of the pens I have (while writing right-side-up). the Shaeffer Javelin is close, but what a dry writer that is... The rotring core at least is a quite wet yet quite fine line. (I'm using an XS nib). So, I was right. The core has a function. I'll leave it in the drawer until I need a pen like that, but it's nice to know it can do something unique. still a very scratchy write, though.

Click for Ink Scans!!

I have 5 of them. 1 has the XS nib the others have the XL nibs. I prefer the XS for tighter writing like a crossword or something small. I like the bold line of the XL for freeform stuff. What color is it? I have a couple Rollerballs that need matches for the set so I might be able to use it as a writer rather than an experament.

All but one of mine came with converters so I have always used them for cleaning but I do know the vent holes you refered to.

I actually really like the styling on mine. It isn't your run of the mill pen and it stands out in a crowd.

Charlie

Best use of a pen:

http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y196/Gator_b8/DANNYSICOVER.jpg

Since we're talking about the Rotring Core (better to keep these topics consolidated?) >>

. It seems like the only sane way to clean the feed is to use a converter (which the Ebay seller neglected to send, even after I asked twice!) but I don't have one.

Melnicki, I have several of the convertors. I will be happy to send you one.

Also, it does not write smooth at all!!! Pointy sharp nib! I'd take my cheapie Hero over it any day!!

More complaints: how do you hold the damn thing? It feels most comfortable held sideways... But no no no, you can't do that!!!!

Love,

MM.

Melnicki, my cheapie Hero 508 Stainless is one of my favorites, but I've got 25+ Rotring Cores that I use for drawing, and I like them BECAUSE of how nice they flow, even with heavy bodied Winsor & Newton pigmented inks. All of mine are the XL nib size so perhaps the larger nibs flow better. In any case Dillo could make yours behave. :)

On how you hold it: "Use the Force Luke!" ;)

It's an ergonomic grip that does take a bit of getting used to. I hold mine index and thumb in the recessed area resting on the taper shelf (for lack of an actual term), middle finger crossing below for support. Once you get used to it, it's a very comfortable pen.

As for looks. I wouldn't call a Rotring Core ugly.... it's rugged! :D

How can you tell when you're out of invisible ink?

• 4 weeks later...

Somehow I missed the continuation of this thread, so I'm reviving it to ask a question:

I opened my Core to refill the cartridge because the pen started skipping. But in doing so, I got ink all over my fingers, and I saw ink in the part that holds the cartridge (and all over the outside of the cartridge too!). I know there's that mechanism that dislodges the cartridge upon opening the barrel, but how do I prevent this from happening, or at least getting ink everywhere? I have only opened up with the nib facing the ceiling (anticipating that the cartridge could leak upon opening the barrel)...

Maybe I'll take you up on that converter offer, Johnny? (I hadn't seen that post)... Very kind of you!!

Another post I hadn't seen: KRZ > you have **25+** Rotring cores?? My goodness. Each with a different ink I suppose? I'd love to see a picture of all of them side by side!!

And, after a few weeks of using the Core, I have to say it performs (in terms of how the line looks) really well compared to all my other pens. Many of my F nibs write lines of varying thickness on different papers, but the Core XS writes a very fine line consistently. The best part about it is that it's wet but it's still fine. I surmise this is not very common to find (fine writers are often dry, right? Most of mine are).

KRZ, I have to check out those Heros, but I'm waiting for a good day to hit up either of the two Chinatowns (Oakland or SF) and see if I can find any, instead of ordering online.

Click for Ink Scans!!

I purchased a red core XL in a clearance sale last week. I had heard good things so I picked it up for £4.50 ($8). I threw away the free blue cartridge and put in some Pelikan Violet cartridges I picked up years ago.

A nice writer but I cannot get used to the shape of the section!!! I obviously hold a pen in an unorthodox fashion (although never noticed it before) as the core is just plain uncomfortable/weird to hold.

I like the rugged looks of the pen so this goes in my man purse (a red diesel shoulder bag) for taking occasional notes in my red+black notebook. I suppose I'm just glad I got it cheap. Goes to show you that all related pen things are individual and subjective.

That said the Core will probably get more use than my Montblanc 149 which hasn't seen ink for about six years.

Edited by guy

I've bought ten of these all different.They are a love em or hate em pen.

I always go for older pens but there was something about the design of these that attracted me to them.I can't write with them as they are way too bulky.I just like the look of them.

One day they'll be in be in design museums.One day they will be collectable and my son will have some lovely mint examples.

holding the core's section:

yes, it's weird, but now I've gotten used to it, and I can't remember why it's weird. I rest my middle finger perpendicular to the pen, as a platform, resting the ribbed (wavy) section on it for balance. Then, use your thumb and index to try to "pinch" the top of the tapering part of the section. I think you'll find a way for it to seem natural. I still wouldn't call it comfortable, but not UNcomfortable.

I still haven't figured out how to avoid spilling ink from the cartridge when it gets dislodged upon opening the barrel. anyone?

Click for Ink Scans!!

I know there's that mechanism that dislodges the cartridge upon opening the barrel, but how do I prevent this from happening, or at least getting ink everywhere? I have only opened up with the nib facing the ceiling (anticipating that the cartridge could leak upon opening the barrel)...

Maybe I'll take you up on that converter offer, Johnny? (I hadn't seen that post)... Very kind of you!!

Another post I hadn't seen: KRZ > you have **25+** Rotring cores?? My goodness. Each with a different ink I suppose? I'd love to see a picture of all of them side by side!!

Melnicki, I believe that mechanism is some sort of ink-saver thingy. It's not supposed to eject a cartridge though. You are supposed to be able to push the cartridge in a little bit further and squeeze out a bit more ink. I use converters in all mine so that may be why I've never seen the ejection problem.

I've posted a picture of my "Rotring Army" somewhere on FPN before, I'll try to remember where that was as it's no longer on my laptop.

Yes, I did keep them all inked up for a while with all different colors (for drawing) but it was too hard to keep up with. So I've been paring it way back, and now I do more drawing with the Noodler's inks which work fine in my conventional and vintage pens. But the Rotring army is ready to rock if need be! :D

How can you tell when you're out of invisible ink?

No, it definitely dislodges the cartridge when the barrel is half open (you can hear the mechanism click). Then I take out the cartridge and the outside of it is smothered in ink!

Click for Ink Scans!!