Pleasant, inexpensive rollerball pens

someonesdad

At the risk of being tarred, feathered, and ridden out on a rail, I'd like to recommend the Staedtler Liquid 7 rollerball pens. I bought a package of 4 (red, blue, green, black) at Staples a few years ago for $6 and they have been very nice to write with. The ink is not waterproof nor outstandingly water-resistant; the black and blue hold up a bit better than the red and green. They're unpretentious, but I will certainly buy another package when needed. The barrel also clearly shows the amount of ink remaining. The red and green are pleasing colors to my eye.

Of course, I reach for my fountain pens most of the time, but these Staedtler pens are still handy to have, especially when drawing lines with a drafting triangle (use an undercut one!).

• Replies 10
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• someonesdad

• Daosus

• BearsPaw

• jdboucher

Top Posters In This Topic

How would you compare them to a G2? Whenever I am not using a fountain pen for whatever reason I use a Pilot Execugel with G2 refills in it.

I've tried these and although I still prefer the Uni ball Vision Elites, these are very nice pens to use. I also agree that they are good for drawing.

"Instant gratification takes too long."-Carrie Fisher

Haven't used a G2, so can't comment.

For waterproofness, I like my Uniball Vision Elite pens; they're good too. But I prefer writing with the Staedtlers.

Nice thing about the G2 is its capless, good for on the go.

For that matter so is my Pilot Fermo FP, but they are good for different things.

Dr. Scrawl

I like the Staedtler Liquid Points on heavily sized sketch paper, but they haven't worked out well on a lot of other papers that I've tried. They even feathered on the Moleskine sketch paper. I refilled some with Dr. Martens Black Star, and I like them better now. My favorite of the gel/rollerballs is the Pilot P-500.

First thing I did when I got these was to empty out the ink and fill with FP ink :) Now I've got one in Visconti Green and one in PR Tanzanite. The FP ink runs a bit thin, but that's OK.

First thing I did when I got these was to empty out the ink and fill with FP ink :) Now I've got one in Visconti Green and one in PR Tanzanite. The FP ink runs a bit thin, but that's OK.

How hard was that to do? I've never seen one of these pens, but I would love a rollerball with my favorite FP ink in it...

Yank out the feed (friction fit), run it under some water. Soak the feed under some water. Run it under some water. Soak it in some water, drain off with paper towels, run it under some water. Sensing a theme? Basically all you have to do is get the ink out of the feed. There are a whole lot of little hidden channels that you have to flush, and I managed to pull out the felt center channel as well. The whole process took about 20 minutes.

• 2 weeks later...