The Fountain Pen Network uses (functional) cookies. Read the FPN Privacy Policy for more info.  To remove this message, please click here to accept the use of cookies

Registration on the Fountain Pen Network

Dearest Visitor of the little Fountain Pen Nut house on the digital prairie,

Due to the enormous influx of spammers, it is no longer possible to handle valditions in the traditional way. For registrations we therefore kindly and respectfully request you to send an email with your request to our especially created email address. This email address is register at fountainpennetwork dot com. Please include your desired user name, and after validation we will send you a return email containing the validation key, normally wiithin a week.

Thank you very much in advance!
The FPN Admin Team

Photo

The Sheaffer Aspen Balance

• Please log in to reply
26 replies to this topic

#21 JonRis

JonRis

Mint

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPip
  • 88 posts

Posted 09 January 2011 - 08:43

Hallo!

I have a Sheaffer Aspen looking exactly as the photo on the top of this thread but
with TWO gold bands in the cap instead of just ONE as in the photo.... Are these
different models, or?? Great pen by the way - use it a lot!

Jon
Jon R
Sweden
Posted Image

Sponsored Content

#22 georges zaslavsky

georges zaslavsky

vintageandmodernpenslover

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,078 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 12 January 2011 - 14:24

Nice pen and thanks for sharing
Pens are like watches , once you start a collection, you can hardly go back. And pens like all fine luxury items do improve with time

#23 M@rtin

M@rtin

Extremely Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 237 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 12 January 2011 - 16:08

very good looking pen. Enjoy.

#24 Hennypenny

Hennypenny

Vintage

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 684 posts

Posted 12 January 2011 - 19:09

Hallo!

I have a Sheaffer Aspen looking exactly as the photo on the top of this thread but
with TWO gold bands in the cap instead of just ONE as in the photo.... Are these
different models, or?? Great pen by the way - use it a lot!

Jon

Mine also has 2 gold bands. Also, the trim is gold, not silver (as stated in the review). Are there different versions?

I bought mine several years ago, and it came in the Aspen box with a bottle of Sheaffer ink.

HP
The sky IS falling. C. Little

#25 Heartsleeve

Heartsleeve

NOS (New Old Stock)

• Member - Silver

• PipPip
  • 16 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 24 March 2016 - 19:46

I bought the Sheaffer ASPEN from Fahrney's back in 2000, and the lip of the cap cracked a tiny half  moon chunk the very first time I posted it.  Cleaned it up and put it right back in its fancy box and never touched it again.  What a waste of a BEAUTIFUL PEN.

#26 Boston Brian

Boston Brian

Extremely Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 281 posts

Posted 26 March 2016 - 03:43

I love these pens, but they are brittle and very fragile, easily broken, I,'ve had two of them, and despite my being careful, but pens cracked.

#27 Drone

Drone

Collectors Item

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,446 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 28 March 2016 - 02:45

I love these pens, but they are brittle and very fragile, easily broken, I,'ve had two of them, and despite my being careful, but pens cracked.

The all black Balance-II's are much less fragile than the colored models, which tend to have (at-least) cracked cap lips. I have a black Shearffer's Balance-II - it's a work-horse in regular rotation. Zero problems except for one thing - the cap threads are not very smooth. But that's a common problem with most Balance-II's.

Balance-II's come with either two-tone or single-tone gold nibs. The two-tone nibs are very attractive provided the plating is done properly (often it isn't). But from my experience, the less expensive (and less visually attractive) single-tone gold nibs handle better - there's a some of flex and springiness to them. But that's just my experience - YMMV.

If you're going to buy a Sheaffer's Balance, avoid the Balance-II in any color except black. Preferably go for a full-size vintage Balance instead.

Sponsored Content

|