Roller Ball vs. Ballpoint

memphislawyer

Well, I tried fountain pens and loved them, but impractical for me. I loved the inks and stuff, but I dont write much and when I do, it is sometimes to fill in forms at court and sometimes they have carbonless copies. Anyway, I have the desire to add another pen. Loved the Visconti Van Gogh fountain pen and thinking of that or an Opera Club, but I dont know whether to go for a ballpoint or a roller ball. Did not know if someone can educate me on pros and cons, on say ink life of a roller ball, smoothness of writing, etc.

• Replies 19
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• memphislawyer

• BillTheEditor

• offbase

• BarryLee

Top Posters In This Topic

I own Waterman and Mont Blanc roller balls as well as a Cartier ballpoint. While I can not offer detailed technical differences I can provide a few observations.

Roller balls seem to write smoother and wetter closer to a fountain pen.

Most roller balls are designed with caps similar to fountain pens while most ballpoints simply twist to expose the point.

Most likely due to the formulation of the ink roller ball refills do not seem to last as long as ballpoint refills do.

Roller balls can be a little more fragile than a ballpoint. Once I wrote on a piece of cardboard and the tip was ruined.

Ballpoint gel refills, such as the ones offered by Visconti, seem to write very well.

A major source of objection to a free economy is precisely that it ... gives people what they want instead of what a particular group thinks they ought to want. Underlying most arguments against the free market is a lack of belief in freedom itself.

- Milton Friedman

I own Waterman and Mont Blanc roller balls as well as a Cartier ballpoint. While I can not offer detailed technical differences I can provide a few observations.

Roller balls seem to write smoother and wetter closer to a fountain pen.

Most roller balls are designed with caps similar to fountain pens while most ballpoints simply twist to expose the point.

Most likely due to the formulation of the ink roller ball refills do not seem to last as long as ballpoint refills do.

Roller balls can be a little more fragile than a ballpoint. Once I wrote on a piece of cardboard and the tip was ruined.

Ballpoint gel refills, such as the ones offered by Visconti, seem to write very well.

Barry, thanks. I was wondering if I can use a Parker refill in the Visconti rollerballs in case I want to use it as a fountain pen. I ask, because I like the screw on cap look rather than the twist to open look that is on my Cartier and to make it different. If I find I dont like roller ball ink, I would like to interchange. I think I read that even Cartier uses Parker refills if I want to, and wondering if Viscontis do as well

Based off what I've read around the net. If any of the information is off, please feel free to correct me:

Ballpoints use a very thick ink, similar to molasses. Due to the nature of the ballpoints' ink, they require a moderate amount of pressure to write. Of all the pen types, they seem to last the longest between refills.

Rollerballs use a water-based ink that is similar to the ink used in fountain pens. They were designed to mimic the smoothness of fountain pens; unfortunately, due to the nature of the ink, they also suffer from some of the FP's flaws: the ink can bleed through or feather on the paper. Rollerballs use ink very quickly.

Gel pens use an ink that lies somewhere in-between the ballpoint and the rollerball in terms of viscosity. They are smoother than ballpoints, but don't feather or bleed through as heavily as rollerballs. However, due to the gel-like nature of their inks, they can be inconsistent in flow. This can cause the pens to skip at times. Gel ink pens use ink moderately fast.

You can find some more information if you look, but the things I mentioned above seemed to be the major points.

Edited by blak000

An empty can usually makes the loudest noise.

Like many of us it sounds like you are at the divergence between the love of fine pens and the need for a practical writing instrument. As an engineer in the manufacturing industry I have dealt with this myself. When I bought my first fountain pen I strutted into work the next Monday, but it only took a little time to realize how unpractical this was. Then I tried Waterman RB – too wet, Mont Blanc RB – too fragile, and Cartier BP – seems to meet my daily needs.

May I suggest grabbing the pens that you have and paying a visit to your local pen store? I assume there are some good locations in Memphis if not consider a weekend trip to Atlanta and visit Artlite www.artlitepens.com and/or Total Fine Writing www.totalfinewriting.com. Regardless of where you go discuss your issues and see what they can help you come up with.

A major source of objection to a free economy is precisely that it ... gives people what they want instead of what a particular group thinks they ought to want. Underlying most arguments against the free market is a lack of belief in freedom itself.

- Milton Friedman

Like many of us it sounds like you are at the divergence between the love of fine pens and the need for a practical writing instrument.

Exactly. Given that the Cartier is probably not going to fetch as much as I would like (paid around $280), and now that it is discontinued, no pics to show others what it might be worth. It writes fine, but the vertical lines make gripping it harder for me. Anyway, I have seen some other pens and I kinda am fixated on the Visconti line, the Van Goghs, Opera Club and Wall Street. I think I can use a ballpoint refill in the rollerball, but I do like the capped look to it. Sometimes, I dont roll the pen back up and leave pen marks in my white shirt. Trying to stay around $100 or so for the pen, so off I go.

Like many of us it sounds like you are at the divergence between the love of fine pens and the need for a practical writing instrument.

Exactly. Given that the Cartier is probably not going to fetch as much as I would like (paid around $280), and now that it is discontinued, no pics to show others what it might be worth. It writes fine, but the vertical lines make gripping it harder for me. Anyway, I have seen some other pens and I kinda am fixated on the Visconti line, the Van Goghs, Opera Club and Wall Street. I think I can use a ballpoint refill in the rollerball, but I do like the capped look to it. Sometimes, I dont roll the pen back up and leave pen marks in my white shirt. Trying to stay around $100 or so for the pen, so off I go.

I'm addicted to fountain pens, but have the same experience as you do in court. I only take my Visconti Wall Street ballpoint to court, but I fill it with either a Schmidt Super Bowl or Levenger, Parker-compatible capless rollerball refill. They don't leak, write beautifully smooth, and you can press hard for multiple copies. The Opera b.p. is an identical body, save for the celluloid material.

Counsel, stop being so cheap and pick up the Wall Street!

I am torn between these pens:

Van Gogh Maxi in Red or Blue or Honey Almond

Opera Club Nordic Fjord, Typhooon Blue

Wall Street Platinum

Black Divina

Wondering what shape works better for marathon writing sessions, say depositions?

Wall Street Platinum

Black Divina

Wondering what shape works better for marathon writing sessions, say depositions?

IANAL, but here's my two cent's worth anyway:

For use in court, Lamy 2000 tri-color ballpoint. If you don't need red or blue, just go with a Lamy 2000 ballpoint. The pen is nearly indestructible, and it is a fine example of restrained elegance. The Lamy 2000 has a nice-size barrel, and at the same time is very lightweight. Think comfort.

I admit to having a personal soft spot for the Aurora Ipsilon ballpoint pen. Nice size, nice weight, looks good in a meeting (and probably on counsel's table in court). Twist-action extends the point silently (why annoy the judge or distract the jury?)

For depositions, I'd make the same suggestion, for the same reasons. The only alternative (if you don't write these on NCR forms) might be to use a fine point fountain pen for these (fine point because you can write faster with one). Or buy a bottle of Noodler's Aurora and use the Preppy eyedropper fill pen, which should hold enough ink to write an awful lot of depositions.

I'd not recommend a roller ball for your work, much though I love the ones I own (I'm a tech writer and editor). The ink supply in the refills just doesn't last long enough.

Edited by BillTheEditor

Bill, I know how the refills dont last as long, but I do love the capped look of a roller ball. With my Retro 51 ballpoint and my Cartier, I have put a pen in my shirt and forgotten to close it and have ink marks that sometimes don't come out. I typically wear a white shirt with suits.

Yes, I am still on my original ink on the Cartier and the Retro 51 rollers (the Schmidt I guess) crapped out, but hey, it is a compromise between a roller and a fountain pen. Im also thinking I can use a standard ballpoint refill when the original roller runs out and have the look, am I right? If so, then that is what I want to do. So then, I wonder, the Maxi or say Opera Club, which one feels better over the long run in writing. I can get the Maxi in red or tortoise in a roller for $105, and the Opera Club in honey, typhoon blue or the nordic fjord for about $147. I saw a Wall Street on ebay for $145.00 and can get 25% back if I use that Live link but the Platinum grey look, I dunno about.

Bill, I know how the refills dont last as long, but I do love the capped look of a roller ball. With my Retro 51 ballpoint and my Cartier, I have put a pen in my shirt and forgotten to close it and have ink marks that sometimes don't come out. I typically wear a white shirt with suits.

Yes, I am still on my original ink on the Cartier and the Retro 51 rollers (the Schmidt I guess) crapped out, but hey, it is a compromise between a roller and a fountain pen. Im also thinking I can use a standard ballpoint refill when the original roller runs out and have the look, am I right? If so, then that is what I want to do. So then, I wonder, the Maxi or say Opera Club, which one feels better over the long run in writing. I can get the Maxi in red or tortoise in a roller for $105, and the Opera Club in honey, typhoon blue or the nordic fjord for about $147. I saw a Wall Street on ebay for $145.00 and can get 25% back if I use that Live link but the Platinum grey look, I dunno about.

OK, I see where you're headed. Unfortunately I don't have any experience with the Maxi or the Opera Club. In my work I'm normally in jeans and a polo, pens get carried in a leather case, so I wasn't thinking about the "white shirt problem."

My favorite roller ball is a brand you haven't mentioned. It's a green jade Parker Duofold, international size. Love that pen! I think these are out of production now, but you should be able to find one for sale. Beautiful styling, especially capped.

For a dep, the VG Maxi would be more comfy because of the shape.

The Mont Blanc Fineliner is VERY smooth.

I could consider others (Aurora Optima, Delta Dolce Vita or even the limited edition Israel pen) but I am trying to stay in the ballpark of $100 to $140 or so. I really loved the look of my Van Gogh Midi fountain pen, just that the fountain pen did not lend itself much to what I do and I dont want a plethora of pens. Kinda scared to let others 'borrow' a FP to sign a document, and I dont want to carry two, so I just need one good roller that can be used as a fountain pen.

Got the Van Gogh Maxi in Tortoise, a little bit more than the others since it is a demonstrator. Adam at Holt's in Philly said that the tortoise is a dressier pen, other than that, I might have gotten the Summer Yellow. They have some Opera Clubs in like the black cap and grey and black body which I would have loved, but they are hard to find. At 50% off, the pen came to $120.00. Not bad in my eyes. Also, he said that the pen takes a Cross jumbo ballpoint refill, which I got him to sell me one and ship it. I may get an Opera Club later, who knows. I just like the capped look of the RB over the twist in the Viscontis, and they look like Fountain Pens.

Visconti ballpoints use the Parker gel refills; Visconti also makes their own, and they're quite wonderful. Plus they have a sepia refill, which would go quite well with your Tortoise Van Gogh, I think.

In general, rollerballs use water-based ink, and ballpoints use oil-based ink, so some surfaces like one while some like the other. For paper, it doesn't make a difference. For a Tyvek envelope, though, you want the ballpoint.

deirdre.net

"Heck we fed a thousand dollar pen to a chicken because we could." -- FarmBoy, about Pen Posse

Hi,

I quite like my Pelikan BPs (which can also take Parker Gel refills) and RBs, also a CS100 RB (takes standard RB refills), only problem with the CS is the cap came off once and I ended up with ink all over a shirt pocket, luckiliy it was a whte shirt and bleach sorted it out.

I guess BPs with gel refills are a good compromise.

Andy

I find rollers too much "in-the-middle". I mean: if a fountain pen can cope with the work, you can go with the fountain pen; if you really need a tough pen, you should go with a ballpoint pen.

There is a tide in the affairs of men which, taken at the flood, leads on to fortune. Omitted, all the voyage of their life is bound in shallows and in miseries. On such a full sea are we now afloat, and we must take the current when it serves or lose our ventures.

Wall Street Platinum

Black Divina

You can pretty much be certain that build quality is good for these pens, so this aspect of the pens can be virtually ignored. You don't really need our opinions on this issue as much as you need to go down to a shop and check them out personally, because these are roller balls, and it eventually boils down to one variable: feel. Since Visconti uses standard cartridges, there are countless manufacturers out there that you can acquire refills from. I from earlier posts, I think you can discern the pros and cons. Once you pick a writing mode, you are then choosing the best pen body that suits you. You might like heavy pens, light pens, and certain pens might not balance well as well as others, etc. More or less, they work the same and you are choosing a pen that aesthetically pleases you.

But just to help you narrow you search:

-Do you like metal sections? If you don't, scratch off the Van Gogh, Wall Street, and the Opera Club.

-Need quick uncapping? Take a closer look at the Black Divina.

PRAG

Montblanc 145, F nib
Faber Castell E-Motion in Pearwood, F nib
Montblanc 149, F nib
Visconti Divina Proporzione 1618, S nib
Montblanc Cool Blue Starwalker, EF nib
Montblanc Solitaire Silver Barley BP
Montblanc Rouge et Noir Coral, M nib