The Fountain Pen Network uses (functional) cookies. Read the FPN Privacy Policy for more info.  To remove this message, please click here to accept the use of cookies

Registration on the Fountain Pen Network

Dearest Visitor of the little Fountain Pen Nut house on the digital prairie,

Due to the enormous influx of spammers, it is no longer possible to handle valditions in the traditional way. For registrations we therefore kindly and respectfully request you to send an email with your request to our especially created email address. This email address is register at fountainpennetwork dot com. Please include your desired user name, and after validation we will send you a return email containing the validation key, normally wiithin a week.

Thank you very much in advance!
The FPN Admin Team

Photo

Lamy Linea

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 Spratticus

Spratticus

Near Mint

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPip
  • 28 posts

Posted 04 November 2008 - 12:05

I'm new to fountain pens and this forum but wanted to post a review of this pen here as I couldn't find many reviews on it. I got this pen around 4 days ago.

Appearance and Build Quality

The pen is available in three designs: grid, herringbone and stripes. I bought the grid design. The pen is made of anodised aluminium and the grid pattern is thin, but can be seen easily from a distance. The pen is slim with an inconspicuous and simple, clean look that I happen to like. It is also rather heavy for its size and has a good weight. Overall, it looks and feels very solid. I believe it can take cartridges and a converter. I bought mine with the converter.

In Use

Writing with the cap on and off is very different with this pen. I prefer it with the cap on for extra weight as when I do this it fits my hand perfectly and automatically positions itself halfway between my thumb and index finger. When the cap is off, it is very light but I find the position doesn't suit me and it feels unbalanced. My hands are somewhat small and I think the thinness of this pen could cause problems and be uncomfortable for someone who has large hands. The grip has taken some getting use to as it is not very large and I tend to hold the pen where the grip meets the body. It felt weird at first but I don't really notice it while writing; only when I think about it. Definitely try before you buy for these reasons! I've been writing with Lamy blue/black ink and it is pretty smooth (my pen has an italic 1.1 nib). I have noticed ink creeping up the nib even when stored upright, but this could be the ink not the pen.

Overall

I would buy this again and I really like the clean simple design. But, if you can, try it out first.

Edited by MYU, 06 November 2008 - 03:25.
Added stock image for reference

Father Dougal McGuire: Spider Baby - it's got the body of a spider, and the mind of a baby.

Lamy Linea (grid), Vintage Montblanc (144?), Lamy Lime Safari, Parker Sonnet (stainless steel), Monteverde Invincia (chrome/carbon fibre), Parker 51 Aerometric (1949, burgundy), Waterman Phileas, Sailor Sapporo (Rhodium plated)

Sponsored Content

#2 joaogmoreira

joaogmoreira

NOS (New Old Stock)

• Member - Gold

• PipPip
  • 14 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 04 November 2008 - 13:22

Spratticus, thanks for the nice review.

Lamy linea is in my wish list and the information you provided will be very useful. I have a Lamy Safari with the same italic 1.1mm nib, and it is very fun to write with. This is another advantage for the Lamy Linea, the fact that you can exchange nibs with any other lamy pen that uses Safari nibs.

#3 Have Fun

Have Fun

Vintage

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 656 posts

Posted 04 November 2008 - 19:14

It is indeed a nice pen - superb bit of design I'm not sure if it ie easily available in the USA most comments here have been from Europe

#4 Ondina

Ondina

Donor Pen

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,924 posts

Posted 05 November 2008 - 09:17

Nice pen. Although I lean toward thicker, fatter pens, this is a nice metal piece, solidly built. The pattern you chose is nice. The mentioned nib interchangeability is a big plus, good choice.

Found this pic at the lamy site ;Lamy Linea Grid pattern

#5 Spratticus

Spratticus

Near Mint

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPip
  • 28 posts

Posted 06 November 2008 - 03:20

QUOTE (Ondina @ Nov 5 2008, 07:17 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Nice pen. Although I lean toward thicker, fatter pens, this is a nice metal piece, solidly built. The pattern you chose is nice. The mentioned nib interchangeability is a big plus, good choice.

Found this pic at the lamy site ;Lamy Linea Grid pattern

It is a very nice pattern. It looks much better in person than in pictures. It is rather thin, in fact I would say it is more like a ballpoint if that makes sense.
Father Dougal McGuire: Spider Baby - it's got the body of a spider, and the mind of a baby.

Lamy Linea (grid), Vintage Montblanc (144?), Lamy Lime Safari, Parker Sonnet (stainless steel), Monteverde Invincia (chrome/carbon fibre), Parker 51 Aerometric (1949, burgundy), Waterman Phileas, Sailor Sapporo (Rhodium plated)

#6 MYU

MYU

... The key to it all is Capillary Action! ...

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,647 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 06 November 2008 - 03:27

Welcome aboard, Spratticus and thanks for your review of the Lamy Linea. I had seen these pens before, but never got the chance to try one. The nib reminds me of a CP1, Safari or Studio--which means it must be pretty good. smile.gif

W2FPN.gif

[MYU's Pen Review Corner]   |   "The Common Ground" -- Jeffrey Small

#7 Spratticus

Spratticus

Near Mint

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPip
  • 28 posts

Posted 06 November 2008 - 04:39

QUOTE (MYU @ Nov 6 2008, 01:27 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Welcome aboard, Spratticus and thanks for your review of the Lamy Linea. I had seen these pens before, but never got the chance to try one. The nib reminds me of a CP1, Safari or Studio--which means it must be pretty good. smile.gif

W2FPN.gif

Thanks. If you get the chance, try it! I find it very comfortable. If all Lamy's are like this, call me a fan smile.gif

#8 dedalian

dedalian

Extremely Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 205 posts

Posted 08 November 2008 - 19:22

QUOTE (Spratticus @ Nov 6 2008, 05:39 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

W2FPN.gif

Thanks. If you get the chance, try it! I find it very comfortable. If all Lamy's are like this, call me a fan smile.gif

I have one of these in a sort of matte black finish. I love Lamys, though didnt really like this one. Here's why-

1. Lamy's usually have something special about their clips (safari, 2000). Here- nothing. just plain boring. Also its a bit weak mine bent a bit towards one side after a few weeks and refuses to go back (you might want to be careful how you use it).
2. the girp are is a bit too small. I have big fingers and since I got this as a gift I couldnt test it. If I could have, I wouldnt have bought it.

#9 dedalian

dedalian

Extremely Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 205 posts

Posted 08 November 2008 - 19:23

QUOTE (dedalian @ Nov 8 2008, 08:22 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
QUOTE (Spratticus @ Nov 6 2008, 05:39 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

W2FPN.gif

I have one of these in a sort of matte black finish. I love Lamys, though didnt really like this one. Here's why-

1. Lamy's usually have something special about their clips (safari, 2000). Here- nothing. just plain boring. Also its a bit weak mine bent a bit towards one side after a few weeks and refuses to go back (you might want to be careful how you use it).
2. the girp are is a bit too small. I have big fingers and since I got this as a gift I couldnt test it. If I could have, I wouldnt have bought it.

Sponsored Content

|