La Reine Mauve

kiavonne

Thanks for the review, that's a good looking purple!

/snip

One thing you didn't mention . . . it seems to have some subtle shading! I think it might show up better in a slightly drier pen than my M800, but I can still detect shading which is a first for any purple I've tried.

/snip

IME Purple Martin has some fantastic shading, if you're looking for that.

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• kiavonne

• kookychick

• Chupacabras

• southpaw

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Can someone please test this in a Moleskine, or other low quality paper and see if it bleeds & feathers?

<span style='font-family: Georgia'><span style='font-size: 14px;'><strong class='bbc'> Stephanie "Biffybeans" Smith</strong></span><p><a href='http://www.biffybeans.com/' class='bbc_url' title='External link' rel='nofollow external'>Blog: Spiritual Evolution of the Bean</a><p><a href='http://www.etsy.com/shop/biffybeans?ref=si_shop' class='bbc_url' title='External link' rel='nofollow external'>Purchase Stephanie "Biffybeans" Smith's Original Art on Etsy</a>

I'm looking forward to my two bottles - eta Thursday!

"But God demonstrates His own love toward us, in that while we were still sinners, Christ died for us." (Rom. 5:8, NKJV)

IT'S HERE!!!! One day early! :D Y'all are conspiring to make me fail my exams! ;)

I'm forcing myself to study a bit before playing with it, but if my camera cooperates, I'll take pics of the bottle artwork and dash off a few lines to post tonight. I'll do a full review next week, after exams are over!

Biffy--sorry, I don't have a Moleskine, or I'd try the ink on one for you! :(

Inks currently in pens: Noodler's La Reine Mauve, Rachmaninov, Prime of the Commons Blue-Black, Naval Orange, MN Whaleman's Sepia, Verdun Green, Majestic Orange; J. Herbin Violette Pensée, Rose Cyclamen, Orange Indien

Blog Twitter Facebook

Where is it for sale? Didn't see it at Swisher or FPH

With the new FPN rules, now I REALLY don't know what to put in my signature.

Where is it for sale? Didn't see it at Swisher or FPH

ISellPens is carrying it. Todd orders weekly. I'm not sure if Pendemonium will carry it, or if there are any B&M's carrying it. My best advice is to call the retailer of your choice and inquire if they will carry the ink.

Scribere est agere.

To write is to act.

Danitrio Fellowship

I just ordered it from Passion 4 Pens at Passion4Pens Site

Swisher and Pendemonium didn't have it.

Sam at Pendemonium seems to be ratcheting down the inks that she carries; maybe trying to reduce her inventory costs? In any case, I've pretty much given up on Pendemonium for ink for a while. Swisher is now my usual corner dealer for a fix.

FYI, I've ordered from Passion4Pens before with very good service. Highly recommended.

Skip

Skip Williams

www.skipwilliams.com/blog

I'd love to see this compared to BS Concord Grape... Deirdre? Deirdre?

I'm not Deirdre, but I've got BSCG and LRM is en route . . . but you'll have to wait until the end of the week. ;)

"But God demonstrates His own love toward us, in that while we were still sinners, Christ died for us." (Rom. 5:8, NKJV)

I just received my bottle and dip tested it. I really like it. It's a nice dark strong purple (there's no mistaking it's purple which is great!). I did a comparison between this and color of the king (another bulletproof purple) and I'm thinking I might like this purple better! It's much more subdued. Color of the king is a brighter purple in comparison. Unfortunately my scanner went the way of the trash, so I have nothing to post it with

-penguin

My Site: Pens and Ink

Philip Hull Memories Scan

Looking for: ...

Sorry for the delay! Here are pics of the label! Scans of handwritten samples to come tonight or tomorrow!

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3169/3006143782_38f12d274c_b.jpg

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3143/3006142664_1da190da09_b.jpg

Inks currently in pens: Noodler's La Reine Mauve, Rachmaninov, Prime of the Commons Blue-Black, Naval Orange, MN Whaleman's Sepia, Verdun Green, Majestic Orange; J. Herbin Violette Pensée, Rose Cyclamen, Orange Indien

Blog Twitter Facebook

Spectacular label!!! I may have to get a bottle of this just because the label is awesome.

To Get At Some Point: Aurora 88/88k/88p (chrome cap), Omas Milord (old style), Omas Paragon (old style), Sheaffer Balance (green striated)

Pocket Watch for Sale or Trade: 1889 or 1898 Eureka Watch Co. Silver or silver plate, lever-set mechanical Longines movement

Ha! Check out the possum! Will anyone have this at the Ohio Pen Show, I wonder...

:happycloud9:

Cathy L. Carter

Live. Love. Write.

Can someone please test this in a Moleskine, or other low quality paper and see if it bleeds & feathers?

Yes, it bleeds like every other Noodler's ink save Black.

Here is my experience with a Safari fine:

- Clairefontaine 90gm/m2: No bleed. Tiny amount of feather here and there, but very smooth and acceptable to the naked eye. (More feather than black and Legal Lapis, less than Eternal Brown, Galileo, Lux Blue, Fox Red, Hunter Green.)

- Apica CD11: Some bleed through. Random slight bits of feather, very acceptable. I'm not likely to use it in an Apica. For whatever reason, I have bad luck with Apica when it comes to bleed.

- Field Notes: Tiny bit of bleed through on stop points. Very little feather. I might find myself writing on both sides, but not likely.

- Hardbound Moleskine: Forget about it if you want to write on both sides. It bleeds like Luxury Blue. Feather is moderate, but my eyes don't detest it. I won't be using it here.

- Cahiers Moleskine: No bleed, significant feather under a loupe. To the naked eye, I find it quite acceptable.

Mind you, this is all very quick and uncontrolled. Your pen might perform differently! I'd like to see someone do some scientific work on this.

S

Edited by stevo

Tried to scan a handwritten sample--I tried to adjust it so the color came out as close as possible on my monitor, even if the background looked funky....sorry it's not better! :(

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3245/3007085158_76e36156f7_b.jpg

No bleeding or feathering to speak of on HP 32# Premium Laserjet. A little bit of feathering on the random cheap notepad paper I had handy, but not that noticeable. A more extensive review to come in a week or 2! :)

Blog Twitter Facebook

kiavonne wrote:

" ... 1 a: a moderate purple, violet, or lilac color b: a strong purple ... "

I am really bad at discerning colors. What I have seen as mauve is like the light burgundish color in the water on the lable around the catfish and the (sun?). If that is purple, I had no idea. I have learned something.

By the way, I think the color is lovely and I am going to try some. After all, I supported this initiative.

Has anyone tested the waterproof qualities of the ink? Did I miss that assessment somewhere?

kiavonne wrote:

" ... 1 a: a moderate purple, violet, or lilac color b: a strong purple ... "

I am really bad at discerning colors. What I have seen as mauve is like the light burgundish color in the water on the lable around the catfish and the (sun?). If that is purple, I had no idea. I have learned something.

That is part of the fun of color names, I think: different colors often get the same names. For example, I usually see "mauve" used for a light color somewhere between burgundy and purple.

Then again, I have seen "purple" and "violet" to mean the same color (as each other, never as "mauve") and "purple" to mean a redder shade while "violet" a bluer shade. "Lilac" usually gets used to describe a lighter and pinker shade and I have never seen it used the same as "purple" or "violet" before reading the above-quoted definition.

So, "mauve" generally means light burgundy-purple to me and I like the color samples of La Reine Mauve more than I expected to from the name. Hence, I am grateful to those who have used this ink and shared their samples and experiences!

Has anyone tested the waterproof qualities of the ink? Did I miss that assessment somewhere?

Bulletproof. Yep, waterproof. :)

Scribere est agere.

To write is to act.

Danitrio Fellowship

I am very happy with La Reine Mauve! I have it loaded in an Aurora Talentum with a medium italic nib where it is quite well-behaved: little-to-no nib creep. After sitting quietly in the pen for several days, there was very minimal drying - it flowed right away.

I Q-tip swiped it on some letterhead paper and compared it to my Bay State Concord Grape. While both are a true purple, BSCG really "pops" off the page; La Reine Mauve is a bit flatter. As soon as I remember to take the page to work, I'll scan it (if someone doesn't get to it first).

As for bullet-proof - it behaves as you would expect from Noodler's. I haven't checked with peroxide yet (a possibility where I work), but water doesn't seem to faze it.

Finally he said, "Well, the hours are good..."

..."So the hours are pretty good then?" [Ford] resumed.

The Vogon stared down at him as sluggish thoughts moiled around in the murky depths.

"Yeah," he said, "but now you come to mention it, most of the actual minutes are pretty lousy."

-- H2G2