My First Pelikan?

GregPQ

I've been happy with the Waterman Phileas Fine point I purchased a month ago: it's definitely better than the Shaefer student cartridge pens I used in high school.

However, I'm interested in trying a Pelikan: the large-capacity piston refill would be an improvement over the tiny reservoir of my Phileas converter.

So, two questions if I may?

1. How fine is the Pelikan Fine point? My Phileas' fine seems more like a medium to me. I'd like something a little finer. So when I decide on a Pelikan model, I need to figure out whether I need a F or an EF.

2. I'm on a budget, so I'm trying to decide between a 200 and a 215. Sounds like the 215 is heftier with its steel barrel. Is it the 'better' pen?

Finally, can you really see the ink level through the Pelikan green window? My Phileas is inked with Havana Brown, and it coats my converter so thoroughly that I have trouble seeing the level when I unscrew the barrel.

I really enjoy this forum!

Thanks,

Greg

Lamy Safari 1.1mm stub

Pilot VP w/Binder .6mm stub

Pelikan M200 F

Pelikan M215 Italic

Waterman Phileas

• Replies 3
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• KCat

• RyanL27

• amin

• GregPQ

Top Posters In This Topic

My Pelikan fines have been a bit variable. The wetter ones lay down a line similar to a Phileas fine, but the dryer have been finer. I think you'd be okay with a fine though - for the most part it will be finer than your Phileas. To bad you're looking for fine, because there is a great deal on the green board for an M215 with broad nib and 0.7mm Bindaer cursive italic for $70 here: http://members3.boardhost.com/PenMarket/msg/1140991612.html

1. How fine is the Pelikan Fine point? My Phileas' fine seems more like a medium to me. I'd like something a little finer. So when I decide on a Pelikan model, I need to figure out whether I need a F or an EF.

2. I'm on a budget, so I'm trying to decide between a 200 and a 215. Sounds like the 215 is heftier with its steel barrel. Is it the 'better' pen?

Hi Greg,

My Phileas Fines are about the same as a Pelikan Fine. And the other 5-7 Phileases that i've bought for others seem to be the same - basically a relatively wet F-M.

I'd say that is true of most Pelikan F nibs also. So if you want finer, i'd recommend going to an EF. Though nowdays I like both F and EF, my first EF Pelikan was what addicted me to these pens to begin with. The nice thing - exchanging nibs is super easy if you decide you want to try a different nib.

steel doesn't mean "better" so IMO, the choice between and 215 and the 200 is a matter of aesthetics only. While the 215 is "heftier" it is by no means heavy though. It's not, from my brief handling of the 215, enough to alter my opinion of it as far as quality goes. I just didn't care for the color. So to me, they are of equal quality. The plastic on a 200 is very sturdy stuff. most of my 200s are between 6 and 10 years old and in very good condition despite a great deal of use.

yup, you can see the ink level clearly in the 200s - less so in the dark green and dark blue translucents. Very clearly in the marbled green or blue or black 200. The plastic of the WM converter will allow a saturated ink to "cling" more so than the barrel of a 200 will allow. Most inks will quickly flow down the sides to reveal any space.

HTH,

KCat - Pelikan Addict

KCat
Save animal lives - support your local animal shelter

My personal blog https://kcdockalscribbling.com

My nature blog https://kcbeachscribbles.com
Venerable are letters, infinitely brave, forlorn, and lost. V. Woolf, Jacob's Room

Just to add to the chorus - yes, both the 200 and 215 are of great and equal quality. I do find the extra heft of the 215 significant, and I greatly prefer the 215 to the 200. That said, I had a gray translucent 200 for a long time, and it was a great, great pen. I've never had a Phileas, so I can't comment on nib comparison. My Pelikan fines were always very nice writers, and I'd consider them a true fine by modern standards.

I have a new black m215 on order from Richard Binder right now, so I'm very excited :) I hope you find something you like.

Edited by RyanL27

"I have striven not to laugh at human actions, not to weep at them, nor to hate them, but to understand them."

- Baruch Spinoza