Omas MOMA (ogiva) review

Jopen

OMAS MOMA

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3050/2993096646_7872065612_o.jpg

1.- First Impressions.

This has been a long awaited and desired Fountain Pen in my modest collection. The history started more than three years ago when as I was watching a movie on TV (I don’t remember which movie was it) and there was a short scene in which somebody was writing a letter and the image only showed partially the hand and the section of the pen which he was using. I liked it immediately. By then I was a Pelikan user for many years and did not collect FP’s. Besides I had also some Sheaffers, Parkers and one MB 146. But… what was this pen with three golden rings in the section and a beautyful nib? I just did not know then anything about the many FP brands around in the World. Two months after, I did see again the same scene. That was too much for me, as I continued liking it a lot and I did not know anything about it. It was not until I entered this world and this Forum that my knowledge grew enough to find by chance one photo of an Omas MOMA which was being sold on ebay, but it was out of my reach. That was about three years ago. Since then I’ve been hunting one Omas MOMA with F nib, as I had already some other Omases around in use. Starting April 08 finally my MOMA showed at an auction, yes, it had an F nib and seemed to be in good condition. This one had to be mine and finally I got it for a fairly good price, without boxes nor papers, but I wanted my MOMA user pen and I got it finally. A few days later it arrived and I had it in my hands… finally…

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3281/2993096148_c28dd5cebb_o.jpg

2.- Apperance and Finish.

The pen is a senior size pen, made in shiny black resin in a shape that resembles the modern Ogiva, but much more an 556/S on STEROIDS. The barrel is engraved with OMAS “THE MUSEUM OF MODERN ART NEW YORK” . With the pen closed there are three golden rings on the cap and one golden ring at the base of the piston knob, at the end of the barrel. The clip is the old tie like Omas clip, as seen in previous 556 and alike models. On unscrewing the cap (2 turns) a 2 tone nib appears, just the same used in previous Paragons. The feed is the classical Omas ebonite feed and on the section, just touching your gripping fingers… another three golden rings, yes, thoste that catched my eyes 3 or 4 years ago… what a beauty…

3.- Design / Size / Weight.

It is not a small pen, it measures 148mm capped, 128mm uncapped and 175mm posted (ouch! I don’t post my pens!!!) Section diameter is 11mm and barrel greater diameter 14mm. The pen is light for its size. It weighs capped 21gr. And only 12gr. without cap, making it a very pleasant pen to use for long writing sessions.

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3159/2992247635_79367fd7fe_o.jpg

4.- Nib Design & Performance.

The nib is a two tone gold nib inscribed 750 and in my case, with a fine tip. This is an exposed nib with no flex ata all, which is accompained by an ebonite feed just the same as seen in previous Paragons. Upon receiving the pen the nib felt scratchy and very “hard” … ie, it had almost no flow. The tines were realigned and adjusted and the tip smoothed to taste with an incredible result. I have thinked many times if perhaps the previous owner was not happy with the performance, which was absolutely poor and this was the reason for parting with it. The result is a completely different pen, a fine nib soooft and just as juicy as I like it. The photos show the pen over its writing sample, it is easy to see the shadowing it produces when writing fast as I use to do. I could write for endless hours before getting tired…

5.- The Filling System.

Filling system is Omas classical piston, very generous in ink capacity (have not measured it yet, but could be around 2-2.5 cc (?). It has worked smooth and flawlessly since reception of the pen.

Appart from the horrendous initial settings of the nib I had none issues with it. In my case there are no leaks and no further faults.

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3179/2993095046_3fbe3fd1f7_o.jpg

6.- Cost/Value

It is a very well built pen with excellent performance. I do not know the original price, but going “high” in the auction that I was, the final price was well below many other not so good Omas pens sold by then. It was well worth the wait and the bucks invested. This one will be a keeper.

7.- Overall Opinion / Conclusion.

This one is a classical, you may like it or perhaps ogival MOMA is too serious for your taste. In any case it feels very light and well in the hands, behaves perfectly and is a real dream to write with it. Much awaited Omas MOMA has found its place in my collection and in my heart. Every time I ink it I have the same excitement as in the first day and every time I have more pleasure using it. Perhaps it may be addicting?

Before the nib adjustment I would give it a 7/10… after a 10/10 (would give more, but it would be unfair…)[/

Edited by Jopen
http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3448/3377063898_1eaf38aeda_o.jpg

The Danitrio Fellowship

• Replies 17
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Jopen

• diplomat

• goodguy

• omasfan

Beautiful pen and EXCELLENT pictures, thanks for the review.

I read it carefully because next week I will receive a Paragon (vintage, from 80s) that has exactley the same duotone nib. Can't wait for it...

One thing I don't understand from your review: is that Moma a 556 or a 557 (which is supposed to be the Paragon size, the 556 is the Milord size)?

Thanks,

Andre

<font face="Verdana"><b><font color="#2f4f4f">d</font></b><font color="#4b0082">iplo</font></font><br /><br /><a href='http://www.fountainpennetwork.com/forum/index.php?showuser=6228' class='bbc_url' title=''><font face="Trebuchet MS"><br /><font size="4"><b><font color="#8b0000"><font color="#696969">Go</font> <font color="#006400">To</font> <font color="#a0522d">My</font> <font color="#4b0082">FPN</font> Profile!</font></b></font></font><br /></a>

I love Omas and there nibs in my eyes are the best.

You got yourself a great pen.I have an Ogiva and its one of my favorite pens in the writing department.

Thank you for the review and pictures.

Respect to all

Wow wow wow. I've seen pics of that pen before, but none nearly so beautiful. The pen is wonderful; your photos are amazing; but your writing! Your writing is fantastic, and shows particularly well in your pics with that ink. Thanks for taking the time to put that together for us.

JN

Beautiful pen and EXCELLENT pictures, thanks for the review.

I read it carefully because next week I will receive a Paragon (vintage, from 80s) that has exactley the same duotone nib. Can't wait for it...

One thing I don't understand from your review: is that Moma a 556 or a 557 (which is supposed to be the Paragon size, the 556 is the Milord size)?

Thanks,

Andre

Apologies Andre if I lead you to confusion. I have a 556/S, which is Milord size, as you say and my reference was not in size but in external form and clip, which are almost the same, but bigger. MOMA is Paragon sized, the big one. Those Paragons are beautiful indeed. With a well adjusted nibs they are a real pleasure... Enjoy it.

The Danitrio Fellowship

Wow wow wow. I've seen pics of that pen before, but none nearly so beautiful. The pen is wonderful; your photos are amazing; but your writing! Your writing is fantastic, and shows particularly well in your pics with that ink. Thanks for taking the time to put that together for us.

Thanks for your comments...

We had today an awful weather here, in fact my Davis weather station said "it's raining cats and dogs" :sick: ... and this is the perfect weather to set up the light tent and play a bit around. I've seen that there is no full review of this fabulous pen and it deserved it's own review and space. I have the Ogiva and sure I like this one much more...

About the ink, this is Omas Blue-Black, yes, the same one that people blame for blocking fountain pens and feeds, but I've never had a problem with it. I like the shading it produces and it is a good companion for this pen (old pen+old ink...)

Glad you liked them...

Edited by Jopen

The Danitrio Fellowship

Apologies Andre if I lead you to confusion. I have a 556/S, which is Milord size, as you say and my reference was not in size but in external form and clip, which are almost the same, but bigger. MOMA is Paragon sized, the big one. Those Paragons are beautiful indeed. With a well adjusted nibs they are a real pleasure... Enjoy it.

Thank you for the clarification!

Ciao,

<font face="Verdana"><b><font color="#2f4f4f">d</font></b><font color="#4b0082">iplo</font></font><br /><br /><a href='http://www.fountainpennetwork.com/forum/index.php?showuser=6228' class='bbc_url' title=''><font face="Trebuchet MS"><br /><font size="4"><b><font color="#8b0000"><font color="#696969">Go</font> <font color="#006400">To</font> <font color="#a0522d">My</font> <font color="#4b0082">FPN</font> Profile!</font></b></font></font><br /></a>

Great pics! Congrats

Btw, I like the pen as well ;)

There is a tide in the affairs of men which, taken at the flood, leads on to fortune. Omitted, all the voyage of their life is bound in shallows and in miseries. On such a full sea are we now afloat, and we must take the current when it serves or lose our ventures.

Excellent pictures and great review. I have this pen also and i totally agree with your points. I got mine off ebay 3 years ago for $120 and was really happy with that price. It came in its original box and the pen was unused.

Enjoy your pen. The MOMA is certainly a keeper

Nikolaos

Great review and pics. I have 2 Omas MoMAs (mines are in hi-tech finish). Yes, I likethem that much. I also have a Ogiva from the mid-late80s which is *exactly* the same dimensions than the MoMA; the only difference is the rhodium finish.

Enjoy that pen; I haven't inked mine lately... shame on me

Juan

Great review and pics. I have 2 Omas MoMAs (mines are in hi-tech finish). Yes, I likethem that much. I also have a Ogiva from the mid-late80s which is *exactly* the same dimensions than the MoMA; the only difference is the rhodium finish.

Enjoy that pen; I haven't inked mine lately... shame on me

Juan

Juan, thanks... make you a favour and ink one evry 3rd month... give you that pleasure :roflmho:

The Danitrio Fellowship

Jopen, excellent photos! I preferred the faceted Omas, but this one is lovely especially with the triple bands. :bunny01:

Yes, I agree, but this one is another different business, and the triple bands give it a special personality...

The Danitrio Fellowship

• 2 weeks later...

Great review and beautiful photos. The MoMA is one of my favorites, great size & balance, as you said. I have the gold trim with M nib and the rhodium trim with EF nib. Both see frequent use.

The MoMA is a simple and wonderful pen. Very elegant, understated and a great writer. The only thing I don't like are the three section rings. I am afraid that they might just tarnish/brass over time. Great review and wonderful photos.

The MoMA is a simple and wonderful pen. Very elegant, understated and a great writer. The only thing I don't like are the three section rings. I am afraid that they might just tarnish/brass over time. Great review and wonderful photos.

Yes, you are absolutely right. It is a wonderful instrument and has the elegance in form, simplicity and just a few dwtails. As I said, I like a lot the section rings, perhaps it is a detail that distinguishes the sections from most other pens. What can I say? some like them blond... some darkhaired, some redhaired.... :rolleyes: ... it is a matter of tastes. My rings are still behaving well...

The Danitrio Fellowship