Japanese laquered, Jumbo Pen ?

mccagly

Greetings from Roma

I've been buying vintage fountain pens since the late 70's and I have accumulated about 500, I prefere Omas, Aurora, Montblanc, Waterman and all the Italian brand pre-war.

I have found this pen, a laquered Jumbo Pen with Warranted K14 OTAYA nib.

post-23064-1225563272_thumb.jpg

post-23064-1225563291_thumb.jpg

post-23064-1225563301_thumb.jpg

post-23064-1225563312_thumb.jpg

Has anybody more informations about this pen ?

Thank you in advance for any help

Luigi

• Replies 11
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• mccagly

• Phthalo

• stan

• RevAaron

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Hello Luigi

What are dimensions for this pen?

I know that you said that it is laquered, do you know what it is made of (it looks like wood)

How do you fill it?

I am afraid I do not know anything about this pen but I checked Google sone of the results are below;-

"Otaya ka ... Do you have a pen?" It appears to be Africaans

There were also a few results for Japanese Restaurants and it appears to be a Japanese family name as there was a result for Geneology Surnames.

I appreciate this may not be helpful but the pen is interesting and I like it.

Bob :drool:

It might be worth asking this question in the Pens from the Land of the Rising Sun forum. It looks like an example of the type of pen that was manufactured for arthritis sufferers in Japan during the 1960s-70s.

I can't help with manufacturer information, though. Stan and Ron in the other forum would know.

This is a Japanese 'Jumbo' pen. Probably 1950s. Eyedropper filler. Made of ebonite, lacquered with black urushi, and then hand-painted.

Condition looks good, this is one of the better examples I have seen.

(I have requested this topic be moved to the "Pens from the Land of the Rising Sun" forum.)

Laura / Phthalo

Fountain Pens: My Collection

I'm seriously not knocking your pen, I'd love to have such a member of the collective... but all I can think of is the bloat of a dead body- even the section is enlarged along curves that look like it's being blown up with gasses inside the pen, like a big ebonite balloon... :) Pretty art, too.

WTB: Lamy 27 w/ OB/OBB nibs; Pelikan 100 B nib

Hi

thank you for your help. i appreciate it.

Regards

Luigi

It might be worth asking this question in the Pens from the Land of the Rising Sun forum. It looks like an example of the type of pen that was manufactured for arthritis sufferers in Japan during the 1960s-70s.

I can't help with manufacturer information, though. Stan and Ron in the other forum would know.

Hello Bob,

The pen measures 14 cm capped.

I appreciate your help, so much.

Luigi

Hello Luigi

What are dimensions for this pen?

I know that you said that it is laquered, do you know what it is made of (it looks like wood)

How do you fill it?

I am afraid I do not know anything about this pen but I checked Google sone of the results are below;-

"Otaya ka ... Do you have a pen?" It appears to be Africaans

There were also a few results for Japanese Restaurants and it appears to be a Japanese family name as there was a result for Geneology Surnames.

I appreciate this may not be helpful but the pen is interesting and I like it.

Bob :drool:

This is a Japanese 'Jumbo' pen. Probably 1950s. Eyedropper filler. Made of ebonite, lacquered with black urushi, and then hand-painted.

Condition looks good, this is one of the better examples I have seen.

(I have requested this topic be moved to the "Pens from the Land of the Rising Sun" forum.)

Hi Phthalo,

thanks for great information.

Please help me give the correct value of this japanese fountain pen.

Regards

Luigi

I have no idea of the "correct" value - value can be what someone is willing to pay. :)

Pens with painted subject matter can't be easily valued because the painting quality and technique needs to be understood. There are cheap methods, and there are quality methods.

Stan might be able to advise...

Laura / Phthalo

Fountain Pens: My Collection

Laura mentioned my name so, here goes.

In my opinion the value of many of the pained pens from the 1950s is dependant on several factors.

1. Condition, of course.

2. Nib. These pens come with large and small, real gold, gold-plated (sometimes only a wash), or steel. Larger real gold nibs are always the most desirable. Please note this to be a general statement and that on certain pens steell is more appropriate.

3. Design. Many of the designs seem standardized as if they were all made by the same group of makers or there was a popular conception of what sold. Most pens were made for the tourist or transient market. There is even thought the large number of American military stationed in Japan were a favorite market. There is some truth to this and many of the similar pens found in older collections in America may have come from returning military. Originality and uniqueness of design plays an important part in pricing. The design with Mt. Fuji and pagoda are commonly used elements. Your pen looks part screen printed (nothing wrong in that) and part painted. The painting could be done by screen or hand, although most likely by hand.

4. Quality of work. Frankly, some look bad and cheap. Often, many are coated with a very thin layer of ursuhi for protection that, over time, does not wear well. Take your pen out in the sun and see if you can see the color of the ebonite. Is it brown or can you tell if the design was screened? There might be an edge visible where it was screened. Some object if the ebonite has faded too much. To me this is not important. The overall execution of design, screen printed or not, is important. Look at the overall composition and see if it makes sense or is not done in a sloppy manner. Be sure the gold is all there too.

5. Shape and size of pen. I've noticed the large jumbo pens do not have the same value as the larger normally shaped pens. Similarly, smaller pens do not have the same value. Many prefer larger pens they can use.

6. Filling mechanism. Most are eyedroppers that will require the seal to be replaced for it to be useful. Some may also leak where the section is screwed into the barrel. If the pen is used, no amount of silicone grease will solve the problem. There are other methods, however. Figure $35-$50 and shop time for repairs.

In short and, I apologize for your time, I think they sell for $70-$90 or so in Japan and go for up to $175, or so, in the West. I think you will see most hovering around $100, or slightly more. Qulaity of presentation on places like eBay helps drive up the price.

stan

Formerly Ryojusen Pens
The oldest and largest buyer and seller of vintage Japanese pens in America.

Member: Pen Collectors of America & Fuente, THE Japanese Pen Collectors Club

Laura mentioned my name so, here goes.

In my opinion the value of many of the pained pens from the 1950s is dependant on several factors.

1. Condition, of course.

2. Nib. These pens come with large and small, real gold, gold-plated (sometimes only a wash), or steel. Larger real gold nibs are always the most desirable. Please note this to be a general statement and that on certain pens steell is more appropriate.

3. Design. Many of the designs seem standardized as if they were all made by the same group of makers or there was a popular conception of what sold. Most pens were made for the tourist or transient market. There is even thought the large number of American military stationed in Japan were a favorite market. There is some truth to this and many of the similar pens found in older collections in America may have come from returning military. Originality and uniqueness of design plays an important part in pricing. The design with Mt. Fuji and pagoda are commonly used elements. Your pen looks part screen printed (nothing wrong in that) and part painted. The painting could be done by screen or hand, although most likely by hand.

4. Quality of work. Frankly, some look bad and cheap. Often, many are coated with a very thin layer of ursuhi for protection that, over time, does not wear well. Take your pen out in the sun and see if you can see the color of the ebonite. Is it brown or can you tell if the design was screened? There might be an edge visible where it was screened. Some object if the ebonite has faded too much. To me this is not important. The overall execution of design, screen printed or not, is important. Look at the overall composition and see if it makes sense or is not done in a sloppy manner. Be sure the gold is all there too.

5. Shape and size of pen. I've noticed the large jumbo pens do not have the same value as the larger normally shaped pens. Similarly, smaller pens do not have the same value. Many prefer larger pens they can use.

6. Filling mechanism. Most are eyedroppers that will require the seal to be replaced for it to be useful. Some may also leak where the section is screwed into the barrel. If the pen is used, no amount of silicone grease will solve the problem. There are other methods, however. Figure $35-$50 and shop time for repairs.

In short and, I apologize for your time, I think they sell for $70-$90 or so in Japan and go for up to $175, or so, in the West. I think you will see most hovering around $100, or slightly more. Qulaity of presentation on places like eBay helps drive up the price.

Dear Stan,

A real lesson.

Best regards

Luigi

I have no idea of the "correct" value - value can be what someone is willing to pay. :)

Pens with painted subject matter can't be easily valued because the painting quality and technique needs to be understood. There are cheap methods, and there are quality methods.

Stan might be able to advise...

Hi Phthalo,

thanks again.

Luigi