Sheaffer Triumph Imperial

rahulg

Well I have been eying this lovely black/chrome cap Triumph Imperial with the nice inlaid nib. The pen is in working order and in excellent condition with some minor dings and scratches. Since the shopkeeper (In Hyderabad, India) is asking for 12 US $ for the pen, I'm a little hesitant to take the plunge. The guy is offering a squeeze type converter as well. So my question to the forum is: How would users rate this pen? Is it worth the dough the guy's asking for? Any opinions?

This is my first plunge into Sheaffer FPs, so help me please.

-Regards,

Rahul

PS: I'm also planning on getting a Nononsense, soon enough. :D

http://oi44.tinypic.com/30vg3eo.jpg

Follow at @rg1283 and http://bluecabbage.blogspot.com

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• rahulg

• cercamons

• Aysedasi

• ethernautrix

I would snap it up right away! Bite his hand off for that pen! *nibbles* :drool:

If it is as described, then you could easily sell it on for profit if you don't like it.

Dear Calbei and Nabodie,

Thanks for the feedback, though I must state that the particular model I am talking about is a plastic barrel one, and not a metal body (Like a 'Flighter', though I'm not sure the term applies to Sheaffers :huh:) . And the pen is not a classic Imperial, but an Imperial Triumph, which Sheaffer made around the late '90s. Apparently these pens retailed for some 20 $ back then, ergo my deliberation. But thanks for the heads up.

Here's a picture of the pen I'm talking about, image courtesy penhero.com

http://www.penhero.com/PenGallery/Sheaffer/Pics/SheafferTriumphImperial11.jpg

Thanks to the forum, I'm hooked to FPs for sure!

Cheers,

Rahul

Edited by rahulg

Dear Calbei and Nabodie,

Thanks for the feedback, though I must state that the particular model I am talking about is a plastic barrel one, and not a metal body (Like a 'Flighter', though I'm not sure the term applies to Sheaffers :huh:) . And the pen is not a classic Imperial, but an Imperial Triumph, which Sheaffer made around the late '90s. Apparently these pens retailed for some 20 $ back then, ergo my deliberation. But thanks for the heads up.

Here's a picture of the pen I'm talking about, image courtesy penhero.com

http://www.penhero.com/PenGallery/Sheaffer/Pics/SheafferTriumphImperial11.jpg

Thanks to the forum, I'm hooked to FPs for sure!

Cheers,

Rahul

And regardless, it's a fine looking pen. Steel nibs can be pretty!

Let me put it this way..... the retail cost of the nib alone is more than what you paid for the pen. NOS with the box, you did just fine.

spacer.png
Visit Main Street Pens
A full service pen shop providing professional, thoughtful vintage pen repair...

Please use email, not a PM for repair and pen purchase inquiries.

I donated a NOS just like the one pictured last year to a student organization. This group sold the pen on eBay for about US$50.00 plus shipping. US$12.00 is not just a fair price - it's a great price. Go for it! (The pens are great little writers, too, by the way.)

-Professor

I had one of those, but it got lost several years ago. :mellow: I have looked long and hard for it several times, but regretfully, to no avail. I liked it a lot, except that the cap would not stay posted. I managed to indent a ring around the base from forcing the cap down hard enough to make it stick.

If they are going for $50 now, I doubt I'll ever replace it.

sas

I've been lucky enough to buy a couple on the 'bay recently for about half that price. For me, Sheaffer inlaid nibs are near-perfect. I've never found a better nib - but sadly too many of them are fine or medium. I keep my eyes open for anything broad or stubbed going at bargain prices......

Edited by Aysedasi

http://www.aysedasi.co.uk

She turned me into a newt.......

Thanks all for your responses. You all have helped me make up my mind. I'm going for it in a few days. One correction though, the pen is not NOS, but used and in near-excellent condition. A dip test will help me finalise the deal. I have simply fallen in love with that gorgeous inlaid nib!

Thanks all!

Rahul

The Triumph Imperial is a nice pen. I use one just about every day at work. It's a reliable pen that can handle just about any of the oddball types of paper that we use at work. It's not flashy or expensive, but it's a great pen. As a general matter, I would consider it a step higher in quality than the No Nonsense pens (though it's more modern looking)-- good pens for everyday use.

I have two Shaeffer Imperial bodies, both are black. One with gold band and clip that came with a M gold nib, and one with a silver band and clip that came with a steel F nib. I bought the pens while in graduate school: my dissertation adviser had good handwriting and used this model, so I hoped that my poor penmanship would improve with it. No such luck! A few years later I had the opportunity to get the pen body that takes an Imperial nib from a desk set, sans stand, but with a F steel nib. The desk set body also takes a C/C. I use a spare cap from another pen as cover to prevent it from drying out. This model, which I have on my desk, currently has one of the F nibs. I find myself interchanging them -- steel F, steel F, or gold M -- depending upon my tastes at the moment. Although I have everything from an MB 149 to a Parker 51, to about a half dozen NoNonsense Shaeffers, and Shaffer Toursade (the NN with fancier barrel and gold M nib), among others, I find that I use the Triumphs as my daily pens for notes for my research and for daily writing. They are lovely pens. I wish I had gotten more of them, but the graduate student limited finances precluded that at the time. My advice: GRAB the Triumph! If you don't want it, I will buy it from you for a slight commission.

There will be no crisis this week. My calendar is already full.

Thanks Ray, Journaleur and Ray for your feedback, and for sharing your side of the story and experiences with The Imperial. I'll let you all know when I finally get it, w/ photos.

Thanks!

Rahul

In the spirit of this thread, may I ask Imperial users about the girth of the section? Is it thicker than, say, a full (but not oversized) Balance? I'm interested in the Imperial, but I fear the grip section will prove a bit thick. A Sailor Sapporo has been about the perfect girth for me. Any advice would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Adam

The Triumph Imperial is a nice pen. I use one just about every day at work. It's a reliable pen that can handle just about any of the oddball types of paper that we use at work. It's not flashy or expensive, but it's a great pen. As a general matter, I would consider it a step higher in quality than the No Nonsense pens (though it's more modern looking)-- good pens for everyday use.

The Imperial is several steps higher than the No Nonsense! The nibs are quality nibs, with a good tipping material on them. The No Nonsense nib is untipped - i.e. the ball on the end is just a blob of steel.

The girth of the pen is a bit thinner than a standard sized Balance, about the same as a Pelikan 200. It falls into what I would consider to be "average."

spacer.png
Visit Main Street Pens
A full service pen shop providing professional, thoughtful vintage pen repair...

Please use email, not a PM for repair and pen purchase inquiries.

I think you could just about buy the box here for that price with out the pen. What do you usually pay for a pen there if $12.00US gives you pause to think about buying it?.

These are one of the cheapest ways to try out inlaid nibs, whcih aren't to everyone's taste. I had one for a couple of years and used it most days.

Ray

Could you say more? I've never tried an inlaid nib and I'm just guessing that in terms of writing and the physicality from the writing with an inlaid nib, it would be the same as any other nib. It seems that it only visually looks different. But, you suggest otherwise and I'd like to know more since I don't have experience with inlaid nibs.

m( _ _ )m (– , –) \ (^_^) /

It's a very good pen. I own one. Even though I don't like the inlaid style, the nib is very good. This is a pen that should last for many years, with proper care, and I believe it is good value for the money. Especially at the price your shopkeeper is asking, and even considering that $12 is possibly a lot of money for you.

I'd suggest, in the interest of economy, using bottled ink instead of cartridges. Cartridges are convenient, but they make the cost of using the pen many times what it would be with bottled ink.