Frank Dubiel´s Da book

protec

Hi all. I´m not a pen repair but I try to repair my own pens. Touchdown, parker vacs, esterbrook.

Y want to know a good pen repair manual. I had heard about Da book. It´s a good book or what manual do you prefer.

Thanks

Manuel

• Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• eckiethump

• gregkoos

• protec

• Pepin

It has good information but I think the new standard is the oldfield manual. I don't have a copy of that yet but I hear praises for it. Repairing pens is fun! I'm sure you'll love it.

Everyman, I will go with thee

and be thy guide,

In thy most need to go

by thy side.

-Knowledge

manuel -

frank's book is a good place to start for general information but should be taken with a grain of salt. for example, most will advise not to use flame for a heat source when taking things apart.

also, use the search button at top of page for queries.

wayne

things get better with age -- i'm approaching magnificent

I would actually recommend both books, though as has already been said some of the information in Da Book is no longer consistent with current conventional wisdom. Some of the techniques in original service manuals, and sometimes reflected in Da Book, are from a time when spare parts were plentiful and if you accidentally lit a barrel on fire a replacement was generally easily had. Today it's usually worth being a bit more careful with the parts, naturally. :-)

If you were to only have one book I would probably go with the Oldfield book.

To be fair I haven't read either one cover to cover; I tend to look things up in them as needed, and then browse other sections for fun, but I haven't been too methodical about it.

A handwritten blog (mostly)

http://img525.imageshack.us/img525/606/letterji9.png

It has good information but I think the new standard is the oldfield manual. I don't have a copy of that yet but I hear praises for it. Repairing pens is fun! I'm sure you'll love it.

Not only is it a very good book, if you have any queries, you will receive a swift and courteous reply from the author's, let's not forget Jim Marshall's contribution to this fine manual.

et

Ignorance more frequently begets confidence than does knowledge (Charles Darwin)

http://www.wesonline.org.uk/

I have just purchased a copy of Da Book and it appears to be a good technical guide. I have not read it yet and I do not have any pens to repair but it does appear to be a good reference book.

The book is titled " Fountain Pens The complete Guide to repair and Restoration (revised edition) by Frank Dubiel

it covers a number of pens incuding:- Parker 51's Sheaffers, watermans, LeBoeuf, Cross, Conklin. Pelican, Eversharp,

The book has 108 pages including some diagrams with explanations.

I look forward to reading it all.

Bob

Edited by bobif

Da books the place to start. I must admit that I prefer "simple"pens (ie lever fillers) so don't need much technical info to fix. To be fully equiped to service a large range of pens is not cheap either, and the tools don't come with the most impotant ingredient- experience, so if its an expensive pen its sometimes better to exercise restraint- play with cheapies!! Regards Hugh

• 2 months later...
I received this book a couple of day ago. I was disappointed in it.

"Complete"? I don't think so.

A bit harsh, taken in context of when it was written and the information available at that time, over the years it has been an invaluable referance work to many, many people.

"Complete" was perhaps an ill chosen word in the title, and maybe why it is commonly reffered to as "Da Book".

et

Ignorance more frequently begets confidence than does knowledge (Charles Darwin)

http://www.wesonline.org.uk/

I have both books and they compliment and supplant each other. Yes, Mr. Dubiels' book has some strategies that are no lomger acceptable. Even the newest one has some omissions---e.g., use of original spec. manufactured snorkel tube gaskets, not donuts. Donuts will work, original spec. gaskets will work too and maybe function longer. Descriptions of oblique nibs seems at variance with others descriptions of same---e.g. Right oblique is like the toes on ones left foot--therefore left oblique? Some pictures of tools have no descriptions regarding use. On ink capacity--does a Parker aerometric only hold 0.12 ml of ink (a typo?)? This is not to denegrate either book but a realization that no manual will be complete--ever. Experience will be a good teacher (for what to do and not to do) and both of these books have their uses. The problem for the beginner is separating what's the best way/current way to do something from less acceptable ways. Ask questions, talk with repair folks at shows, observe them in action and don't be afraid to try to improve on what's already out there. Pen repair is an evolving process--mistakes will be made, items will be broken but new strategies will develop. For example, the double tubed brass Parker vac unit removal tool (for pushing out stuck vac units form the section end of the barrel with no damage to the nipple holder and associated parts) is a very useful tool for those vac units that are reluctant to let go and refuse to succumb to soaking and ultrasonic treatment. Can't remember the reference and specs--just followed the directions and whoopie--it works. Perhaps someone knows the original reference. Get both books, read, understand and learn and go forth.

The Repair Q&A forum is in itself,an invaluable resource. Expert pen repair people who post here are very generous with sharing their knowledge and insight. The search feature is useful for finding discussions on a wide variety of topics.

Greg Koos

Bloomington Illinois

USA

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

On this shrunken globe, men can no longer live as strangers.

Adlai E. Stevenson

Where's a good place to pick up used copies of both books?

A man's real possession is his memory. In nothing else is he rich, in nothing else is he poor.

As one who lives 'in the boondocks' as far as local repairers are concerned, it would probably be a good idea to know at least some of the simpler repair procedures, such as fitting new sacs and basic nib-smoothing.

I think I'll get Laurence's book...I was very impressed by the courtesy and helpfulness he showed me recently.

BTW, I think it is 'common practice' to describe a 'left-foot oblique' nib as a 'right oblique', because it's more commonly used by right-handed writers (who sometimes tend to rotate the pen anti-clockwise, a very 'unnatural' action for most left-handers)

Edited by rogerb

If you make people think they're thinking, they'll love you; But if you really make them think, they'll hate you.

Don Marquis

US humorist (1878 - 1937)

The Repair Q&A forum is in itself,an invaluable resource. Expert pen repair people who post here are very generous with sharing their knowledge and insight. The search feature is useful for finding discussions on a wide variety of topics.

And quite unfortunately, sometimes NON-expert wannabe Expert repair people are also very generous with their knowledge ;-) This is not directed at anyone involved in this thread, but there seem to be plenty supplying mis-information. Beware all, make sure you know who the person is you're taking advice from!

Sam

Where's a good place to pick up used copies of both books?

Unless someone is selling on here on the market place or on Pentrace Green Board, you are not likely to find them used...

BTW, I think it is 'common practice' to describe a 'left-foot oblique' nib as a 'right oblique', because it's more commonly used by right-handed writers (who sometimes tend to rotate the pen anti-clockwise, a very 'unnatural' action for most left-handers)

Quite right. It's a bit confusing, but a simple concordance for common oblique terms:

right oblique = left foot oblique = relief = Left = regular oblique = oblique

left oblique = right foot oblique = Right = reverse oblique

To make matters worse, sometimes folks (including myself) make the typo of saying left oblique when they mean left-foot oblique. I think the least confusing terminology for obliques is to use the oblique vs reverse oblique terms. :)

WTB: Lamy 27 w/ OB/OBB nibs; Pelikan 100 B nib

Hi Sam,

Good point. Ron and Gary, is it possible to filter out the bad advice - I know it would be a lot of work. And at times I know that you do so,by replying with better advice - for which we are all grateful.

Greg

And quite unfortunately, sometimes NON-expert wannabe Expert repair people are also very generous with their knowledge ;-) This is not directed at anyone involved in this thread, but there seem to be plenty supplying mis-information. Beware all, make sure you know who the person is you're taking advice from!

Sam

Greg Koos

Bloomington Illinois

USA

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

On this shrunken globe, men can no longer live as strangers.

Adlai E. Stevenson

• 1 month later...

Typo errors

Thank you for pointing out typos in the ink capacity table in 'Pen Repair'.

The Mabie Todd Blackbird holds 1.25, not 0.25

The Parker Maxima holds 1.45

The P51 Vac (line missing in the book) holds 1.22

The P51 Aero holds 1.12

Laurence

Yes, it is a good manual but it "only" covers american pens. The guidelines may work for european pens, but sometimes not.

Stefano

Vicenza, Italy