Handwritten Business Script

caliken

Business Penmanship, being the offshoot of Spencerian Script without the shaded strokes is, IMO attractive monoline lettering in its own right and is a viable handwriting alternative to italic for everyday use. This was written with a Pelikan M200 with an extra fine nib.

http://i226.photobucket.com/albums/dd289/caliken_2007/Messianbusinessscript_edited-2.jpg

Edited by caliken

• Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• caliken

• HDoug

• RLTodd

• ToughHouseRook

Business Penmanship, being the offshoot of Spencerian Script without the shaded strokes is, IMO attractive monoline lettering in its own right and is a viable handwriting alternative to italic for everyday use. This was written with a Pelikan M200 with an extra fine nib.

http://i226.photobucket.com/albums/dd289/caliken_2007/Messianbusinessscript_edited-2.jpg

So there is a name for what I try to write! Thanks for the example I will now work a few of your letters into my hand as they seem much much nicer than what I have.

Kurt

Edited by Titivillus

That looks great Caliken, I especially like you capital T and I. The Spencerian workbooks I got are really more Business script than anything and I do think it is a very practical way of writing that looks good!

Rook

"I can't imagine a more stirring symbol of man's humanity to man than a fire engine."

Kurt Vonnegut

http://img356.imageshack.us/img356/8703/letterminizk9.png http://img356.imageshack.us/img356/7260/postminipo0.png

Yes, that is gorgeous. For us mere mortals, I think whether we choose this or italic depends on what we are starting out with. If we start with a "print script" handwriting, the letters in italic are formed much the same way. If we use some form cursive (with the looped ascenders/descenders, no lifts) the route to this form is straight. In short, I think practically any hand can be an everyday hand -- as long as it's your hand that's doing the writing.

Thanks for posting this.

Doug

How important is nib choice to the look of this script? Do F and EF nibs lead to better looking writing? I ask because I only have M nibs at my disposal and find my writing to be less graceful than most exemplars I see, even when letters and spacings are pretty spot on.

I know the vast majority of it has to do with practice and skill, my writing will probably never look half as good as yours, just wondering to what degree nib size dictates final look.

"I can't imagine a more stirring symbol of man's humanity to man than a fire engine."

Kurt Vonnegut

http://img356.imageshack.us/img356/8703/letterminizk9.png http://img356.imageshack.us/img356/7260/postminipo0.png

Be still my heart!

caliken you're killing me...softly! If I could write as many styles as you can with such ease and precision, I would demand to be crowned queen of the land. That is oh so beautiful! I saw your Youtube on it, but seeing a larger piece of the style is just breathtaking.

I am absolutely smitten.... :wub:

How important is nib choice to the look of this script? Do F and EF nibs lead to better looking writing? I ask because I only have M nibs at my disposal and find my writing to be less graceful than most exemplars I see, even when letters and spacings are pretty spot on.

I know the vast majority of it has to do with practice and skill, my writing will probably never look half as good as yours, just wondering to what degree nib size dictates final look.

Thank you all for your comments.

ToughHouse,

If you look at any exemplar of this style, you'll find that they are invariably written with a fine nib - I think they look a bit more elegant that way. However, you can, of course, use a wider nib but the effect won't be quite the same IMO.

caliken

The script looks very elegant in your rendering of it (it sometimes reminds me of the school script I was meant to learn and felt it very impersonal) thought I cannot help thinking that should the crosses over t were a bit longer script might look a bit more flowing or handwritten...

Anyway, I was wondering who is discussed in the text - Olivier Messiaen somebody else?

Many thanks for another superb post,

Zed

The script looks very elegant in your rendering of it (it sometimes reminds me of the school script I was meant to learn and felt it very impersonal) thought I cannot help thinking that should the crosses over t were a bit longer script might look a bit more flowing or handwritten...

Anyway, I was wondering who is discussed in the text - Olivier Messiaen somebody else?

Many thanks for another superb post,

Zed

Thanks Zed,

You're right - it's Olivier Messiaen.

You're also right about the t crosses - they are a bit short.

This is written in the 'classic' Business Script style, so it should look a bit impersonal.

However. I think that this style could be tweaked a bit here and there to add individual character, without losing its integrity.

Lovely example, caliken. The key question from my developmental viewpoint is, when you wrote that, what was the mix between finger movement and arm movement?

Beautiful. If I could write that well I'd think my fist had died and gone to Heaven.

"how do I know what I think until I write it down?"

Wow~ Letters can written so beautiful~

slqqqq

---------------------

If you have any problem with Chinese site, Chinese calligraphy or need translation, PM me. I am happy to translate for you.

---------------------

http://img525.imageshack.us/img525/606/letterji9.pnghttp://img244.imageshack.us/img244/5642/postcardde9.png

Lovely example, caliken. The key question from my developmental viewpoint is, when you wrote that, what was the mix between finger movement and arm movement?

JeffB

As the lettering is quite small, I think that my movement would probably be 80% hand, 20% arm.

I try not to think too much about this peripheral aspect of writing. If it seems to be working, I leave it well alone!

Co-incidentally. HDoug has just posted a handwritten letter from the IAMPETH site on this very subject. It's in the "Which part of your hand touches the paper?" topic.

I like your writing!!!! :thumbup:

Somehow, I don't seem to be able to get into the Business Handwriting style. Instead of nice and straight, my letters all have crooks in them. And my size varies a lot, even with guide lines. So I gravitate to italic for my everyday hand. The pen helps to control my tendencies to sloppiness, I guess.

I agree, Ken, your hand is excellent. Wish I could get my wife to write a sample for posting here -- she has a lovely Business Hand. Not surprising, since she grew up in Illinois in the 1950's. Only person I know that can write a great business hand with a ballpoint (until some of you started posting on the FPN).

Blessed be,

Yours,
Randal

From a person's actions, we may infer attitudes, beliefs, --- and values. We do not know these characteristics outright. The human dichotomies of trust and distrust, honor and duplicity, love and hate --- all depend on internal states we cannot directly experience. Isn't this what adds zest to our life?

I've been using J. J. Baily as a template to practice with. You can find it over at IAMPETH -

http://www.iampeth.com/lessons/practical_p...iley_index.html

Seemed more pedestrain than the gorgeous Business Script example that Caliken provides, somehow less intimidating .....

That said I think the Baily is a bit more feminine that what I am after so I will be using this example for future practice going forward.

How will we ever be able to adequately express our gratitude for all that Caliken has done and continues to do for this community?

Do you imagine the universe is agitated?

Go into the desert at night and look out at the stars.

This practice should answer the question.

- Hua Hu Ching, Chapter 5

Try to comment with my hand:

http://lh4.ggpht.com/_1v8Xv71Du3g/SQodi0m2DcI/AAAAAAAADJM/X2Pf8QR-rks/s400/01.jpg

written with fine flex nib (I can't resist to flex!): an interesting exercise that leads me to approach Spencerian style.

Thank you Ken for sharing.

http://i252.photobucket.com/albums/hh20/tipstricks_photo/31032009052_cr.jpg - My albums

I also admire your ability with the Business Script, caliken. Except for the open "p's" it is identical to the Peterson Penmanship I learned in primary school. (Peterson and Palmer are nearly identical.) This is a script in which I have little competence. I do not know if I have a psychological block against it, or what. But when I use Peterson script my handwriting looks like an eight year old's. I have practiced, but to little avail. Hence my love of Italic script which helps my handwriting look all grown up. For me it is not a viable alternative for daily use. :(