Finding Fountain Pens in the GTA

setsanto

Hi,

I am looking to buy a fountain pen as a birthday gift for one of my friends who is an avid fan of them. The problem is, I have absolutely no idea what constitutes a good pen, what names to look for, or where to go to purchase one. Store wise, I currently like in Oakville, Ontario, so anywhere in the GTA works for me, but preferably if anyone knows of a store in Mississauga or Oakville, that would be great. Pen wise, if anyone can suggest a good first pen that would be great. I'm not looking for a top of the line Mont Blanc (that's about the only name I do know) or anything here.

I appreciate any and all help immensely.

• Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Rufus

• setsanto

• PigRatAndGoat

• thibaulthalpern

I live in Oakville too. Quite frankly you'll be shocked at the prices in Canada at B&M stores. I buy all my pens online from the likes of Dennis Bowden (Parkville Pens), Richard Binder, John Mottishaw, Farhney's, Swisher, Bryant and other reputable e-tailers. In Toronto there are a couple of dealers: Laywines and Statesman & Sleuth. In Oakville there is one store, Handwritings (I think it's called) on Lakeshore (south side) near the intersection with Trafalgar, but their selection is limited.

Bryan

"The greatest lesson in life is to know that even fools are right sometimes." Winston S. Churchill

If you want to jump start things why not join us at our monthly pen breakfast in Cambridge tomorrow? It's at the Galt View Restaurant, 693 Coronation Blvd, Cambridge, starting at 9.30 am. You'll be able to talk to at least a dozen fountain pen fanatics and even try out a few fountain pens; we're usually in the room at the back of the restaurant, but ask a server for directions when you enter.

Bryan

"The greatest lesson in life is to know that even fools are right sometimes." Winston S. Churchill

Thank you very much for the invitation Rufus, but I don't think I'd be able to make it over. It seems an online purchase is the way to go, but do you have any suggestions as to specific brands or lines that I should be on the lookout for?

Adding to the Toronto list of pen places: Sears. Just go into Eatons via the H&M entrance, and there is a nice little area that has a French name. Papier or something?... Anyways, it has a nice range of stuff, but probably only a good place if you know what you are looking for. Haven't done any price comparisons, so can't comment of that either. Heck, I'm just happy I found a nearby pen place! :D I promise you nothing other than there will be pens there! (Waterman, Lamy, Waterford, Rotring, Faber Castell, Graf von Faber Castell, Visconti, Montblanc, a Pelikan 200 I believe, and several Caran d'Arche Dunas'.)

PRAG

Montblanc 145, F nib
Faber Castell E-Motion in Pearwood, F nib
Montblanc 149, F nib
Visconti Divina Proporzione 1618, S nib
Montblanc Cool Blue Starwalker, EF nib
Montblanc Solitaire Silver Barley BP
Montblanc Rouge et Noir Coral, M nib

Thank you very much for the invitation Rufus, but I don't think I'd be able to make it over. It seems an online purchase is the way to go, but do you have any suggestions as to specific brands or lines that I should be on the lookout for?

I favour Bexleys. If you go to Richard Binder's website, richardspens.com, you'll see a two: Simplicity and BX 701. He also carries Pelikans, and you can't go wrong with an M200 or M215 in your price range. Too bad about Cambridge; you'd been able really to delve into the world of fountain pens; our next meeting is November 22, same place, same time.

Bryan

Buying pens in the GTA is a very pricy business.Dont bother buying in a store when you will be able to get the same pen for 30%-40% cheapper.

I would advice you to buy the pen online.

My advice is get a Lamy 2000.This is a great pen for a FP fan and will cost you around 110$ on

www.isellpens.com

Edited by goodguy

Respect to all

Does your friend own many fountain pens already? If he does, I would really caution an inexperienced person to buy a fountain pen for him or her unless you specifically know what model s/he wants, or if you know what brand, nib, etc. he likes. Do you know more about his tastes? I say that because if your friend already has a couple, he may not really like what you choose for him. As a fountain pen user myself, I know that if someone bought a fountain pen with a broad nib or medium nib, I will most likely not like it. And I probably will not even like Lamy's *cough* *cough*

Usually buying an item for someone who is an expert in those things is a dicey affair. The thought is very touching, but the gift may end up not being used.

How about a gift certificate to a fountain pen store?

Edited by thibaulthalpern

m( _ _ )m (– , –) \ (^_^) /

Does your friend own many fountain pens already? If he does, I would really caution an inexperienced person to buy a fountain pen for him or her unless you specifically know what model s/he wants, or if you know what brand, nib, etc. he likes. Do you know more about his tastes? I say that because if your friend already has a couple, he may not really like what you choose for him. As a fountain pen user myself, I know that if someone bought a fountain pen with a broad nib or medium nib, I will most likely not like it. And I probably will not even like Lamy's *cough* *cough*

Usually buying an item for someone who is an expert in those things is a dicey affair. The thought is very touching, but the gift may end up not being used.

This is very good advice. I've just remembered that a pen store recently opened in Cambridge:

Phidon Pens Limited,

63 Dickson St.,

Cambridge

phone (519) 624-8787

I haven't visited the store, but I understand from a member on my pen club that it stocks some very nice pens. I've met the proprietor, Baldeep Duggal, twice and he seems like a very nice, knowledgeable chap; he attended our pen club meeting this morning.

Bryan

She does not own one, though her Dad has many which is where she gained her appreciation for them. Thank you to everyone for your help. I must confess that as a result of researching for this I've come to like them quite alot myself :). I think now I just need to go and figure out which one to get. Thanks again to everyone.

For a decent selection you can go to La Swiss in Square One Shopping Center. They carry Lamy, Parker, Waterman, Visconti, Dunhill, Porsche Design, Faber Castell and a few others I can't remember off the top of my head. However its primarily a watch store and the staff is pretty uneducated when it comes to pens, also their prices are not very competitive. Now what I do is hop on the Go Train and head to Downtown Toronto. Sleuth and Statesman and Laywines are the only proper pen stores with a proper selection of not just pens, but inks, paper and organizers as well. They also have knowledgable people working there, so you can get some real service. Now at a regular stationary store your best bet will be Office Depot, Grand and Toy or Staples. Mostly they have low end Sheaffers, Parkers and Cross pens. Although you may only find a couple that are fountain pens. even saw a Cross Century at The Bay once, for a 100 dollars, not bad but people getting pens from there are the type of people who really have no clue what they are getting.

For a decent selection you can go to La Swiss in Square One Shopping Center. They carry Lamy, Parker, Waterman, Visconti, Dunhill, Porsche Design, Faber Castell and a few others I can't remember off the top of my head. However its primarily a watch store and the staff is pretty uneducated when it comes to pens, also their prices are not very competitive. Now what I do is hop on the Go Train and head to Downtown Toronto. Sleuth and Statesman and Laywines are the only proper pen stores with a proper selection of not just pens, but inks, paper and organizers as well. They also have knowledgable people working there, so you can get some real service. Now at a regular stationary store your best bet will be Office Depot, Grand and Toy or Staples. Mostly they have low end Sheaffers, Parkers and Cross pens. Although you may only find a couple that are fountain pens. even saw a Cross Century at The Bay once, for a 100 dollars, not bad but people getting pens from there are the type of people who really have no clue what they are getting.

Is La Swiss even open yet? The last time I checked, they were still under going renovations.

Montblanc 145, F nib
Faber Castell E-Motion in Pearwood, F nib
Montblanc 149, F nib
Visconti Divina Proporzione 1618, S nib
Montblanc Cool Blue Starwalker, EF nib
Montblanc Solitaire Silver Barley BP
Montblanc Rouge et Noir Coral, M nib

She does not own one, though her Dad has many which is where she gained her appreciation for them. Thank you to everyone for your help. I must confess that as a result of researching for this I've come to like them quite alot myself :). I think now I just need to go and figure out which one to get. Thanks again to everyone.

Ah, in that case, that's good. If you want to keep it a surprise, you could ask her father what he thinks her tastes are and what she might like. That's a quick way to "cut to the chase" so to say.

m( _ _ )m (– , –) \ (^_^) /

Is La Swiss even open yet? The last time I checked, they were still under going renovations.

yes it is, as long as I can remember its always been open

On line seems the way to go as on the weekend I looked at a pen that they took the American list convert it to Canadian funds and sell it for this. The pen I looked at I can buy from Joon today shipped to the door for 150 less than the store is selling it. I would love to support local shops but with the number of pens we collectors buy you cannot afford to pay an extra 100 plus more for every pen. I think that these stores are only looking for someone who does not collect pens but is getting them as a gift or something. They might be wise to have a collector club card or something to offer some sort of reason to use their store. Now I know that there is overhead etc but full list, where and in what business does one pay full list other than the beer store lol. I think these stores are losing out on a lot of sales from the serious pen collector. I am wondering if there are any store owners might chime in to tell the other side of the story. But right today if I was getting my Mark Twain I would not be able to pay the 560 Canadian as it is 360 US. Even with today exchange I would still have to buy online. Free 6 slot leather pen case at Fahrney,s right now.

Just my .02

Chris

Appleman Pens

Orangeville, Ontario, Canada

Photo's Of Past Pens

My Blog

Phone 912-376-7165

• 9 years later...

Hello fellow Ontarians, has the status of fountain pen retailers changed much since this post? I was honestly wanting to take a look at some Pilot fountain pens, like the custom 74 (mainly to see if it is really plasticy, or feels nice in the hand), but it is really hard to find retailers. As a side note, the LSF Group does the distribution for Lamy and Faber Castell. In emailing them, they are very sticky about warranty claims to a local retailer. The thing is, a Lamy 2000 will retail between 125-150 US on Amazon.com, while they sell in Canada for $230-250 CDN. It seems the distributor's really tightly control the prices.

Amazon (.ca) will often have pens that drop below the market value, but some colours & nib options will also be marked up and rarely drop. I filter Amazon searches by whether or not they ship by prime even though I don't use it, and it filters to things shipped by amazon - and thus returnable to amazon with few questions asked when there's an issue.

Wonderpens has opened in Toronto and has a wide variety of product from entry level to luxury, and carries various limited editions and a few harder to find finishes (like platinum celluloids). Some products are priced at roughly the conversion to USD, others are below it (J. Herbin), and some above.

Phidon is in Cambridge, and I've had good interactions with them when they exhibit at the pen show in Toronto, although I've never been to their shop. They seem to have a good selection of items from what I've seen.

Scriptus is Toronto's Pen show, and brings a lot of the small or private retailers and a few distributors out of the woodworks - and many of the big retailers will have deals or discounts of one sort or another. There's no guarantee you'll find a standard production model/color/nib though, but you might be able to find one of the model to hold or try out and decide if the quality & size meets your expectations.

Midoco is an art store, not a pen store, but they carry my preferred papers with decent stock & formats. They carry a few fountain pen brands, including Sailor, Noodlers, Kaweco, Lamy, Rhodia, Clairefontaine, Leuchtturm. They have a few stores across Toronto, but I wouldn't expect the most knowledge from their employees about the pens.