Danitrio Genkai in Tamenuri Urushi

Jopen

Congratulations Jopen. Your review is excellent and Genkai well I am speechless. I was wondering about the apparent longitudinal line in the filling knob in the first and third photos, is that the translucence of the material?

Warm regards,

Hari

In case you wish to write to me, pls use ONLY email by clicking here. I do not check PMs. Thank you.

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Jopen

• Zendawn123

• I am not a number

• JMVC

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Hi Hari.

Thanks. What you refer as to filling knob is in fact the knob for adjusting the shut-off valve (It is an eye dropper). There is a circular shadow there at the bottom as well as in other parts of the pen (prominent parts and ridges) as well as on the section, but none longitudinal, with time and use they become more translucent and the red underneath shows more. That makes it so spectacular with time. The shading in this one is really awesome and in a couple of years it will look incredible.

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3448/3377063898_1eaf38aeda_o.jpg

The Danitrio Fellowship

very cool pen jopen ;), I have tried a danitrio last week and I felt absolutely in love with their products. outstanding craftsmanship for the price and great nib better than namiki and sailor.

Pens are like watches , once you start a collection, you can hardly go back. And pens like all fine luxury items do improve with time

very cool pen jopen ;), I have tried a danitrio last week and I felt absolutely in love with their products. outstanding craftsmanship for the price and great nib better than namiki and sailor.

You shouldn't have tried it... now you experimented the reasons for acciquiring Danis and using Danis... the slope goes steep down... You have been warned!!! :thumbup:

The Danitrio Fellowship

Wow Jose. I was gone for a week at a conference and missed your review and of course fine photos. You make the pen looks like a lollipop... good enough to lick. LOL.

Best,

kevin

To Cross The Rubicon

Internet Pens

Hi, "Compagnon de Route" of the islands and the pens!

Jose (I am also Jose and we are about the same age), I live just nearby you at Madeira Island. Like you, I am also a pen lover but I do not have the "engineering and the art" of reviewing pens and present/share it to the world of FPN (Thank You). I have been reading your posts and reviews for several months. I need your advice and experience. Kevin from internet pens sugested me to contact you about Danitrio Pens. I am thinking of ordering a Mikado Tame-nuri but I am afraid about the colour and shine of the pen. I know you own also a Mikado. I had some disillusion with the tame-nuri Nakaya I received last week. The colour and the shine are quite different from what I see at Nakaya's Website. It seems your Danitrios are very glossy and have the dark honey/amber colour I like. I like big pens but perhaps Mikado is too big. I own a MB 149, Pelikan M1000, Waterman Edson LE and Visconty Opera Demo that really big pens. Mikado is, at least, 1,5 cm more! Maybe Densho or Takumi are more indicated for me. I have no doubts about the character of the nibs, as they seem to correspond to my preferences.

Please give me your opinion on this pen or others you have already tried.

Best Regards

Jose Manuel

Hello Jose Manuel...

I think Kevin is being a bit "noty boy" here. He knows Danitrios much better than anyone and he will not give you any wrong advice. He is most serious and dependable in my experience. About Tamenuri finish, I do not know which of the ramenuri did you get from Nakaya. I received 2 weeks ago a Piccolo in Aka tame nuri (something like dark amber over red) and shine and colour were good, and will improve with time. About Danitrio Tamenuri, I feel it's perfect, you can see it in the photos which still hide a lot of its variation. They are usually done by Kogaku which is a Makie artist doing perfect and spectacular finishes in Makie and Urushi for Danitrio. If you are used to M1000 and MB 149, Mikado will be very confortable for you, and if you use a soft nib, it will outperform any of the two pes mentioned. Mikado is for me the "perfect" pen, the size not being important as it is a very light pen in use which adapts perfectly to the hand. Takumi and Densho have the same nib. I personally like more the smaller Takumi if compared to Densho, but that again is a personal taste statement; this smaller nib performs exceptionally well... not as perfect as the big Mikado one, but nearly as perfect. Either way you decide to go, sure you will be glad and satisfied with the result. One thing more... I may have been using at the same time a Mikado and a Takumi, and changing between one and other did not mean any adapting problems; I was equally well with either writing for long sessions...

Hope have helped you, dear Jose Manuel from Madeira Island... (very nice island indeed, I know it well...)

Jose Manuel (from further South the Salvagem Islands) ;)

The Danitrio Fellowship

Hello Jose Manuel...

I think Kevin is being a bit "noty boy" here. He knows Danitrios much better than anyone and he will not give you any wrong advice. He is most serious and dependable in my experience. About Tamenuri finish, I do not know which of the ramenuri did you get from Nakaya. I received 2 weeks ago a Piccolo in Aka tame nuri (something like dark amber over red) and shine and colour were good, and will improve with time. About Danitrio Tamenuri, I feel it's perfect, you can see it in the photos which still hide a lot of its variation. They are usually done by Kogaku which is a Makie artist doing perfect and spectacular finishes in Makie and Urushi for Danitrio. If you are used to M1000 and MB 149, Mikado will be very confortable for you, and if you use a soft nib, it will outperform any of the two pes mentioned. Mikado is for me the "perfect" pen, the size not being important as it is a very light pen in use which adapts perfectly to the hand. Takumi and Densho have the same nib. I personally like more the smaller Takumi if compared to Densho, but that again is a personal taste statement; this smaller nib performs exceptionally well... not as perfect as the big Mikado one, but nearly as perfect. Either way you decide to go, sure you will be glad and satisfied with the result. One thing more... I may have been using at the same time a Mikado and a Takumi, and changing between one and other did not mean any adapting problems; I was equally well with either writing for long sessions...

Hope have helped you, dear Jose Manuel from Madeira Island... (very nice island indeed, I know it well...)

Jose Manuel (from further South the Salvagem Islands) ;)

Buenos Dias (Noches) Jose!

I am very happy for your soon and helpful reply. Thank you. I knew already that Kevin was a "good guy". He was also recommended by Mary Bourke of Conway Stewart. He is very kind and his service is high standard. I just bought “Appellation” (Conway Stewart) from him. It was released from Portuguese Customs today. I hope to receive the pen up to the end of the week.

I bought NAKAYA - Equilibrium- Wajima Aka-tamenuri (redish red –tamenuri). I just love the shine and colour of the picture of Nakaya Website. The pen I received is more a burgundy than the glossy dark red/brown. It is almost like MB Chopin Burgandy. Perhaps the Kuro-tamenuri (blackish red -tamenuri-) would be a better choice, but who knows? As a writing instrument, I have not many reasons to complain. It is well made but the nib is not so smooth and wet as I expected and ordered. However, i did not try the converter yet but only the cartridge that came with the pen. It will be springier with the converter. They also forgot to send me the ink bottle I ordered and paid but, for me, there is no problem at all, on that. I sent a mail exposing my opinion and they did not reply. I hope they did not consider themselves offended! Japanese people and culture are so different from ours that we have to be very careful to avoid misunderstandings. However, as a pen only (writing tool) and forgetting the work of art, the symbol, the ego feelings and the empathy, I must say I rather prefer my Omas Paragon or even the 360 Lucens.

Back to Danitrio I must say that I am more worried (?) by the size than the weight. When you put Conway Stewart Drake side by side with any (?) other pen, all the other are light pens. I am not completely sure but Drake weights about 85 grams, what it is much. However, it is a balanced pen used un-posted. I have mine about one month and I have not written a lot with it (continuously), so I cannot say, in justice, how comfortable it is. One thing I know for sure, Mikado, in spite of its size, is a lighter pen than Drake. In my daily life, i.e., going to job, I normally wear a suit, so the size of the pen is not so important as far as it fits in the pocket. At work, as I will use it un-posted there will not be any problem. I do not write too much, I take notes and sign some letters, checks or bank transfers. From time to time I do write some handwriting letters (old way – tradition still is what it was) and I have a lot of fun doing it that way. Friends for decades deserve it!

Well, Jose, I think I am almost convinced I “must” order a Mikado Tamenuri With Clip (I am not a Clipless fan). Meanwhile, I will essay my “Aappellation” and “One Hundred” Conway Stewart that are just arriving.

When you have time, dear neighbor, we can meet half way in “ilhas Selvagens”. I will be in touch in the near future and will let you know my decision.

There is another subject I want to discuss with you (Customs) but it will come new opportunities and as we say in Portugal “there are more tides than sailors”. Let’s wait a little while.

Best Regards

Jose Manuel

HI Just a quick thank you for the excellent review and the wonderful photos! Thank you for taking the time to put this together. I have one in raw ebonite and it is wonderful. I have the firm fine nib and it is wonderfully light and easy to write with. Enjoy, jc

John, thanks for your input. It is always easy too share good things and experiences... and as you say, it is a very nice pen to use despite its size.

Jose Manuel...

OK, we may meet down the Salvagem Is. and have some rabbits? :headsmack:

About Nakaya, I have 3 experiences. One came from John Motishaw and was adjusted and tested by him. Writes very well and is fairly smooth for an F nib. It is an Aka Tamenuri and has very good color. We cannot obviate that every time Urushi is prepared it may be slightly different, and it must be prepared for the day in which it has to be used. There may be differences within the same type of Urushi depending upon the batch /day, also upon who does it and also upon the artist's taste... furthermore, it is a combination of shadows which changes with time! well, it has its own life and expression. That's the magical life of Tamenuri Urushi... The other 2 Nakaya experiences were pens bought from another dealer. The pens were absolutely perfect, but both nibs were not adjusted. They were an EF and a F nib, so the scratch was awful. First I had to align them and after I had to adjust flow and finally one required a small touch of smoothing. Now both pinpoint nibs are smooth as they can and rich as I love them; not an easy task for somebody with limited nib experience, but the result is rewarding. I like all of them in apperance and function and use them while my Omases sleep in the pen chest, and there are some with very good nibs.

Regarding Mikado, don't be put off by the size. You do not write looking at it, you write using it. I feel more confortable with a Mikado than with a 360, not as light as a 360, it holds much more ink and is much more ergonomic. Not used to big pens I was also affraid. It took me writing a few pages, learning also to use correctly the shutoff valve and, before I realised, I was writing and feeling quite confortable with this pen. Nib control and performance was perfect (I use soft fine). I cannot say the same from my Pel M1000, I never get used to it and nib control (F or EF) is not as good as in the Mikado (for me). On the other side, My best Paragon nibs, old or new models are really stiff if compared to Soft Danitrio Bock nibs. I find them superior t the ones used by Omas, being perhaps closer in performance (experience) with the new nibs used in the new Paragons.

I'm sure that you will be happy with the design, finish and performance of it. I use to take every day with me to work a pen pouch and many times there are two mikados in it. They see constant use, with or without clip... I partially identify myself with Mikado size and forms and I must confess that the first mikado that arrived, a Tamenuri, almost made me think that because of its size it was unusable... I was wrong! :roflmho:

Jose

The Danitrio Fellowship

• 2 years later...

So I sold my Pelikan 1000 because it was too big, and I sold my Mina because it didn't have a clip. What did I spend the proceeds on you ask? A Genkai. I'm wacky like that. It's sitting in the post office tonight.

• 1 year later...

Thank you for the EXCELLENT review! thumbup.gif

Your photos are superior and convey your love and appreciation of the work by the amazing artists at Danitrio. I am burning with desire for a Makado and a Genkai. I am beside myself with jealousy (in a good way).

Put those beauties to good use and enjoy. vbg.gif

• 3 years later...

In a way it really does remind me of the Omas Legni Pregiati Collezione. Ill try and find an image if I can, to show the similarities.

I snapped a few photos of my Legni Pregiati, and it is definitely different than the Dani Trio but similar in many ways. I hope this was a fun and informative post!

post-105526-0-85994900-1459749912.png

post-105526-0-09309800-1459749921.png

I just checked and this pen seems to be identical in dimensions to the Namiki emperor, just that the nibs is a bit smaller than the emperor nib. I think this *may* be my next pen purchase unless I can afford the Yokozuna. :)

Thank you for the review Jopen, the pen is exceedingly beautiful and I hope it was in constant use for the past 7 years. :)

I just checked and this pen seems to be identical in dimensions to the Namiki emperor, just that the nibs is a bit smaller than the emperor nib. I think this *may* be my next pen purchase unless I can afford the Yokozuna. :)

Thank you for the review Jopen, the pen is exceedingly beautiful and I hope it was in constant use for the past 7 years. :)

The dimensions between the Genkai and the Namiki #50 (the maki-e decorated pens use the emperor name, but not the plain urushi pens) are not the same at all. They are both large pens, and I would be fine saying similar, but one is not a substitute for the other in my opinion. The nib on the Danitrio is a Bock #8 and is narrower and shorter than the Namiki #50. I'll put up a comparison shot.

Both are great pens. The Danitrio will be cheaper though.

If you want less blah, blah, blah and more pictures, follow me on Instagram!

Here are a few comparison shots between a Namiki #50 and a Danitrio Sho-genkai. The Sho-genkai is essentially a shorter version of the Genkai, but is the same diameter and uses the same size nib. the Sho-genkai is 18MM shorter when capped, the cap is 10MM shorter, and the uncapped length wioth the nib is a significant 47MM shorter than the Genkai (all official measurements from the Danitrio website).

fpn_1460149760__20160408_140021_resized.

fpn_1460149807__20160408_135944_resized.

fpn_1460149838__20160408_135924_resized.

So I think the Genkai is a little shorter capped than the Namiki and a bit longer when uncapped. Also it has less girth than the Namiki. The Namiki also has a more sohpisticated ink shutoff system, but much less variety in urushi finishes. And forget going into Maki-e, both can be in the new car range (though Namiki goes farther up than Danitrio).

Hope that helped.

If you want less blah, blah, blah and more pictures, follow me on Instagram!