The Fountain Pen Network uses (functional) cookies. Read the FPN Privacy Policy for more info.  To remove this message, please click here to accept the use of cookies

Photo

Review:Conklin Coronet

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 handlebar

handlebar

Long distance runner!!!

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,159 posts

Posted 23 October 2008 - 02:21

I have not purchased a new fountain pen in over a year.And with a couple needed for work,i decided to try out a Conklin Coronet.
These can be had for a decent price right now as they are discontinued.So why not?

Size: This pen fits my smaller hand perfectly!! I used to own the same colour in the Durograph model by Conklin and that was a huge pen.This size is perfect!
It measures 5-3/4" capped,5-1/4" uncapped and 6-3/4" posted.

Nib: A standard steel nib that was surprisingly smooth compared to my last Conklin. So far,after 2 weeks,it has not skipped a beat. I had a choice of M or F and opted for the latter.

Filling system: Standard CC.No frills here.

Colour/Design: As i mentioned above,i owned this same colour in a Durograph.Nice brown and cream coloured swirls.Acrylic bodied with a metal cap in chrome.

Price: I have seen quite a few of these for under $50,a few under $40.Well worth the price and especially so as a work pen that can take a beating.

Overall: Conklin have been producing some decent pens at prices that make them desirable. I have heard some complain about their nibs but only owned one with a skipping issue.And that was years ago.. A good pen.

Jim

Sponsored Content

#2 jonro

jonro

Antique

• Member - Gold

• 2,534 posts

Posted 23 October 2008 - 04:09

Thanks for the review, Jim. Is the fine nib a true fine, or does it run wide?

#3 rroossinck

rroossinck

Donor Pen

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,683 posts

Posted 23 October 2008 - 04:18

Aren't those steel Conklin nibs great, Jim? Kara's got one in her pink Mark Twain (a medium), and it's a spectacular nib!

Brassing Adds Character: Available by clicking on my signature.

#4 Ghost Plane

Ghost Plane

Indescribable

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 28,424 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 23 October 2008 - 11:13

Anyone have both a steel and a 14k who can compare? I adore the 14k LEs I've lucked into, but have been hesitant to go for steel after using the Duragraph [modern] I was given, since it feels scratchy next to the 14k. Been wondering if it was a one off, or I needed to shy away given my prediliction for floaty wet ones.

#5 rroossinck

rroossinck

Donor Pen

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,683 posts

Posted 23 October 2008 - 11:41

GP, it's been my experience that the steel nibs are often better (need less tweakage) than their 14K counterparts. Blasphemous, I know, but I've owned or worked on 6 or so steelies, and 10 or more 14K. YMMV, though...want to give one a test drive? Drop me a b/c note.

Brassing Adds Character: Available by clicking on my signature.

#6 MYU

MYU

... The key to it all is Capillary Action! ...

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,643 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 23 October 2008 - 13:59

Thanks for the review, Jim. Regarding the cap, what do you suspect it is made of? How is the weight? Does it post well to the pen?

~Gary

[MYU's Pen Review Corner]   |   "The Common Ground" -- Jeffrey Small

#7 handlebar

handlebar

Long distance runner!!!

• Member - Gold

• 2,159 posts

Posted 23 October 2008 - 14:14

QUOTE (jonro @ Oct 22 2008, 09:09 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Thanks for the review, Jim. Is the fine nib a true fine, or does it run wide?

It is most definitely a true fine.I'm using it today at work in fact.

Jim

#8 handlebar

handlebar

Long distance runner!!!

• Member - Gold

• 2,159 posts

Posted 23 October 2008 - 14:16

QUOTE (MYU @ Oct 23 2008, 06:59 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Thanks for the review, Jim. Regarding the cap, what do you suspect it is made of? How is the weight? Does it post well to the pen?

~Gary

Hi Gary,

It feels to me like plastic with a coating of light chrome.The inside is white plastic as well. The heaviness says light chrome though.I can see it possibly rubbing off like my other Conklin.The clips tend to do that fast in my opinion.

Jim

#9 Ghost Plane

Ghost Plane

Indescribable

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 28,424 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 23 October 2008 - 15:44

QUOTE (rroossinck @ Oct 23 2008, 07:41 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
GP, it's been my experience that the steel nibs are often better (need less tweakage) than their 14K counterparts. Blasphemous, I know, but I've owned or worked on 6 or so steelies, and 10 or more 14K. YMMV, though...want to give one a test drive? Drop me a b/c note.

Appreciate it. I'm still waiting on an LE to come home from a nib swap, so better drive the one I've got before I start playing with any more. embarrassed_smile.gif

#10 R.ticle One

R.ticle One

Extremely Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 319 posts

Posted 23 October 2008 - 22:27

Hi handlebar - can you recall if the section on this pen is about the same width as it was on the Duragraph you used to have? Thanks!

R.

#11 handlebar

handlebar

Long distance runner!!!

• Member - Gold

• 2,159 posts

Posted 24 October 2008 - 03:15

QUOTE (R.ticle One @ Oct 23 2008, 03:27 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Hi handlebar - can you recall if the section on this pen is about the same width as it was on the Duragraph you used to have? Thanks!

R.

Actually the Coronet is thinner by about a quarter.The Durograph is a thick bodied pen.So this thinner body sure fits the hand better for those with a smaller grasp.

Jim

#12 RevAaron

RevAaron

Antique

• Member - Gold

• 2,931 posts

Posted 24 October 2008 - 05:11

This is not quite review-helpful material... but, I think this pen makes a great alternative to buying a Bock nib for a kit pen. You can find these for $50-60, where the Bock kit nib goes for $90-some.

Also, the section on the Coronet unscrews in a useful because you can easily disassembly it into the section cylinder, the metal bushings, and the screw in nib/feed unit- like you might if you had made a kit pen. Nothing wrong with that, in fact it's something good- it's a great way to put a gold nib in a kit pen for cheap, or to make a pen around it.

Just a thought!

I bought a Coronet for $30 from the Marketplace recently- I don't like the metalish cap in general, or that the plating/paint is rubbing off- but I do like the nib. I've heard so-so things about Conkin's gold nibs, though the steel ones seem to be good. I like the medium though, very smooth.
WTB: Ford's Patent Pen, Pilot Blue ink (Thai)
Also: Orthos Pens | Danish MB #4 nib | 1G Hundred Year Pen cap

Sponsored Content

|