The Fountain Pen Network uses (functional) cookies. Read the FPN Privacy Policy for more info.  To remove this message, please click here to accept the use of cookies

Registration on the Fountain Pen Network

Dearest Visitor of the little Fountain Pen Nut house on the digital prairie,

Due to the enormous influx of spammers, it is no longer possible to handle valditions in the traditional way. For registrations we therefore kindly and respectfully request you to send an email with your request to our especially created email address. This email address is register at fountainpennetwork dot com. Please include your desired user name, and after validation we will send you a return email containing the validation key, normally wiithin a week.

Thank you very much in advance!
The FPN Admin Team

Photo

Wality 69L

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 xena

xena

Vintage

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 481 posts

Posted 22 October 2008 - 01:54

I have just recently acquired a Wality 69L. The folks over at retrodesk sent it promptly and were quite easy to work with. Their shipping and handling is a reasonable $5.00, and the pen is listed at an affordable $21.00

First Impressions

The pen comes in a nice presentation sack in velvet. It is quite large; the folks at retrodesk are not kidding when they say that it is an oversized pen.

Fit and Finish

As I wrote earlier, this is a very inexpensive pen. It doesn't really look it until you fill it with ink, and then you can see that the ink window is not smooth. It also seems to stain easily, or at least holds on to ink. I had a rough time flushing the Piston-Filler friendly Diamine Imperial Blue out of the barrel. It currently is filled with Noodler's Ottoman Rose. At this price point, I'm not terribly concerned about staining the ink view window in the barrel.

For that fault, the pen is overall finished pretty well; I chose to purchase black. It also comes in blue and burgundy. I just happen to be going through a black phase. In black, it looks crisp. The clip could be on a little better, but since I don't use it, it is a moot point.

The Nib

Ok, here's where the rubber hits the road. The Wality 69L has a nice two tone nib that is large, which matches the whole size of the pen. It much stiffer than say, a pelikan m400 or maybe even a Phileas, but it is not exactly a nail. Mine is very smooth- though some people have complained that their 52s and 77s have some tooth. Not something I have experienced with this model, but I just wanted to include this as a caution.

The Filling System

This is a pen that holds a lake of ink. The piston is smooth, and works flawlessly. I have used mine for 3 fills, and have had no problems.

Overall Performance/ Value

This is an awesome pen to have in one's toolkit, for informal knocking around. Some folks have had blobbing issues with other walities, i have only had one small leak, that was about a droplet size and was easily contained. It is well-balanced. In short, it is a great value for the money.

Sponsored Content

#2 ericthered2004

ericthered2004

Vintage

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 616 posts

Posted 22 October 2008 - 03:41

Thanks for the review. I'm a fan of this model too, with no blobbing to speak of.

cheers
eric

The flowers celebrated their sweetness
With just our noses
(ericthered junior)

#3 Ondina

Ondina

Donor Pen

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,924 posts

Posted 19 November 2008 - 18:55

I've always been curious at this model... the stiffness of the nib and the reports of being prone to leaking have drawn me back but looks a really cool pen.
Thanks for the review.

#4 Aysedasi

Aysedasi

24 Heures du Mans and Oblique Addict

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,242 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 19 November 2008 - 19:47

Is there a photo somewhere, sounds interesting.....

#5 WillSW

WillSW

Collectors Item

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,449 posts

Posted 19 November 2008 - 20:46

QUOTE (Aysedasi @ Nov 19 2008, 02:47 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Is there a photo somewhere, sounds interesting.....

http://retrodesk.com/index.html

Scroll away.

#6 J English Smith

J English Smith

Antique

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,452 posts

Posted 19 November 2008 - 20:55

I like my black Wality 52 but yes, the nib is pretty stiff and does have some tooth. The overall finishing of the pen is very very good for the money. I wish the nib was more like a Pelikan steel nib, then it would really be a winner.
<i>"Most people go through life using up half their energy trying to protect a dignity they never had."</i><br>-Marlowe, in <i>The Long Goodbye</i>

#7 kethiemann

kethiemann

Extremely Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 222 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 12 March 2011 - 18:41

Thanks so much for the review... and for the tip on retrodesk!

Sponsored Content

|