Merlin 33

Matt

Thanks for chiming in, Richard. Good to know that the sacs are new and should last a while. As mentioned above, does a new sac last something like 8-10 years?

Of course that would depend a lot on use and where you live. There is a type of rubber stopper I use for work. When I was in Boston, they would last around 3-6 months before oxidizing, cracking, and falling apart. When I lived in Los Angeles, those same things cracked and broke apart in a mere 3 weeks. Too much pollution and ozone in the air there. I don’t even want to think what all that did to my lungs.

I’ve been writing with the Merlin some more and I do like it. The celluloid material is quite pleasant, as is the entire pen. Very glad I picked one up. Thanks. :)

"Who writes with a fountain pen? How friggin' pretentious is that?" --from the movie Duplicity. :-)

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Richard

• indigirl

• jimhughes

• HenryLouis

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Thanks for chiming in, Richard. Good to know that the sacs are new and should last a while. As mentioned above, does a new sac last something like 8-10 years?

Of course that would depend a lot on use and where you live. There is a type of rubber stopper I use for work. When I was in Boston, they would last around 3-6 months before oxidizing, cracking, and falling apart. When I lived in Los Angeles, those same things cracked and broke apart in a mere 3 weeks. Too much pollution and ozone in the air there. I don’t even want to think what all that did to my lungs.

I’ve been writing with the Merlin some more and I do like it. The celluloid material is quite pleasant, as is the entire pen. Very glad I picked one up. Thanks. :)

What Jon said. Thank you for sharing , Richard. Jim

As mentioned above, does a new sac last something like 8-10 years?

Of course that would depend a lot on use and where you live...

I'd like to think that a sac will last 8-10 years, but it does depend on where you live, and it also depends on what ink you use. The closer your ink is to pH neutral, the less aging effect it will exert on the sac. As a data point, I've had Blurple (with a pH of about 3.2) in THE "51" for at least four years, and the diaphragm is still nice and pliable. Would I put Omas Blue (pH 1.7) in this pen? Don't count on it.

(For reference, each step of the pH scale represents a tenfold change; thus, pH 2 is 10 times as acidic as pH 3, and so on.)

sig.jpg.2d63a57b2eed52a0310c0428310c3731.jpg

I'd like to think that a sac will last 8-10 years, but it does depend on where you live, and it also depends on what ink you use. The closer your ink is to pH neutral, the less aging effect it will exert on the sac. As a data point, I've had Blurple (with a pH of about 3.2) in THE "51" for at least four years, and the diaphragm is still nice and pliable. Would I put Omas Blue (pH 1.7) in this pen? Don't count on it.

(For reference, each step of the pH scale represents a tenfold change; thus, pH 2 is 10 times as acidic as pH 3, and so on.)

what brands and colors are closest to pH neutral?

what brands and colors are closest to pH neutral?

There are many, including Diamine, Private Reserve, and Noodler's. I happen to like Diamine inks pretty well.

Okay, folks, I've put up five new colors of Merlin 33s. Don't get trampled in the stampede! :)

http://www.richardspens.com/images/pens/colors/merlin/crushed_emerald.jpg Crushed Emerald

http://www.richardspens.com/images/pens/colors/merlin/indigo_horizon.jpg Indigo Horizon

http://www.richardspens.com/images/pens/colors/merlin/morocco.jpg Morocco (like the first-generation Eversharp Doric)

http://www.richardspens.com/images/pens/colors/merlin/slashed_rose.jpg Slashed Rose

http://www.richardspens.com/images/pens/colors/merlin/storm_front.jpg Storm Front

Edited by Richard

Thanks for the further info, Richard.

I'd have more time writing with the Merlin and be able to say more if I didn't also buy that Pelikan M400 tortoise at the same time. ;)

Those new Merlin colors look wonderful. :thumbup:

"Who writes with a fountain pen? How friggin' pretentious is that?" --from the movie Duplicity. :-)

Richard,

You had a post awhile back where you were teasing us with a preview of these pens - you had spilled them out onto a table and taken a photo...I used that photo to try and get a sense of which pen I would like when I bought my first one.

Any chance you could spill out another handful of these beauties onto a table and give us another look?

Okay, folks, I've put up five new colors of Merlin 33s. Don't get trampled in the stampede! :)

http://www.richardspens.com/images/pens/colors/merlin/crushed_emerald.jpg Crushed Emerald

http://www.richardspens.com/images/pens/colors/merlin/indigo_horizon.jpg Indigo Horizon

http://www.richardspens.com/images/pens/colors/merlin/morocco.jpg Morocco (like the first-generation Eversharp Doric)

http://www.richardspens.com/images/pens/colors/merlin/slashed_rose.jpg Slashed Rose

http://www.richardspens.com/images/pens/colors/merlin/storm_front.jpg Storm Front

And I swore I wasn't buying another pen this year....

What do you think of the 'pen' inks (Pel, Sheaffer, Waterman) for the Merlins?

My latest ebook.   And not just for Halloween!

My other pen is a Montblanc.

I bought a Merlina from Mr. Binder and am astonished at the smoothness of the nib. I had been expecting a dry extra fine. The flow so far is excellent. I will report on continued use.

I'm not Richard, nor do I play him on tv; however, quoting directly from his site:

"We have disassembled, checked, and rebuilt each Merlin to ensure that it will perform like new (or maybe even better). "

I assume this means that they've gone and removed the old sac, and installed a new one. It makes no sense for a guy like him to make a statement like this and NOT change out the sac.

In many cases, "assume" can spell something rather infelicitous, as in "[making an] ass* [of] u [and] me," but in this case you are correct. All of our Merlins have fresh sacs taken from our repair parts stock (purchased from the Pen Sac Company). We're working this weekend to put up a complete fresh selection of Merlin 33 colors; Allison is resacking pens as fast as her overworked hands can move (with due care to maintain our quality standards). :)

---------------------

* i.e., a jackass, or fool

Yes Richard, I know what "assume" means :roflmho: The only reason why I felt it safe to step out and assume, was because these pens are being sold by you. If it were some ebay purchase, I'd have kept my mouth shut, or said to hope for the best, and expect the worst. In all other cases, I never want to assume anything positive.

Hi Richard (& everybody else), I'm new here & just getting the lay of the land. Somebody recommended the Merlins for me. So, wow, you're not kidding about a stampede... most of the colors I like are already sold out. Do I understand correctly that you put up batches at a time, in different colors? So if I wait for a bit you'll put up some other colors, or more of the ones that are currently sold out?

(I'm asking this in public in case other people want the same clarification.)

Do I understand correctly that you put up batches at a time, in different colors? So if I wait for a bit you'll put up some other colors, or more of the ones that are currently sold out?

Yes, you do understand correctly. In general, we're trying to put up batches of new colors as long as we can before we repeat a previous color, but there are no guarantees on how many more batches we'll be able to field before repeating.

I just purchased two of these. First the good news. I think they're very nice looking pens - colourful, attractive patterns yet not loud - interesting finishes you can live with everday.

The bad news, for me anyway, is the nibs. I confess I'm a Goldilocks when it comes to feedback/tooth. Too little and I find the writing feel bland and/or out-of-control. Too much and the writing feel becomes a laborious exercise in dragging a point across the paper. Unfortunately, my two Merlins fall in the latter category. They're toothy past the point of helpful feedback, and into unpleasant territory. (Update: I've changed my mind. See below.)

One nib I'd call a fine the other an extra-fine. For some low cost reference points, one is about the line width of a Safari fine (er - assuming a finer Safari fine), the other is an XF on par with a Prera. Both are bang on medium wet, about a 5 on the 1 to 10 scale.

The extra-fine has a bit of spring, the fine has some flex (line variation) with some pressure. I didn't really purchase these for flex as I write with a fairly consistent light/light-medium hand. I was just looking for a little pleasant yielding spring in the ride. Maybe I got it - but it's drowned out by the tooth.

That said, I have to confess my handwriting looks pretty damned good (relatively speaking) when writing with these. I may not like the feel of the tooth but it does keep my writing well in control.

Anyway, based on my experience I'd say the strong point of these little pens is their looks, not their nibs.

... and a few hours pass and he comes back to edit his post ....

I was too hasty to pass judgement on the nibs. I lowered my writing angle a little and that reduced the tooth - I think I was outside the sweetspot before. I think the tooth is now in the pleasant feedback range - and/or it's just plain grown on me. I'm quite enjoying these little pens now.

Edited by rollerboy

I bought both a "33" and a Merlina from Richard. Smooooooth and Flexy, a very small pen but a great knock-a-round pen for the pocket or small note pad. I love both of them

Please do not listen to me. My opinions do not count

• 2 weeks later...

I am curious if the pen reviewed was the pen in the storm front finish... becuase I have one in the mail. Is it?

http://i164.photobucket.com/albums/u18/Henrylouis16/Aurora%20Talentum/IMG_3779.jpg

... storm front finish... becuase I have one in the mail. Is it?

That was my first pick after seeing the available colors, actually reminds me of a squall line of a serious storm I’d seen whilst camping with my wife many, many years ago.

I have not ordered one but had I done so the Storm Front would have been my choice.

Please do post actual pics when it arrives, cannot afford one [cannot afford to “pay attention” ATM] but like to live vicariously through the purchases of others here @ FPN.

“I view my fountain pens & inks as an artist might view their brushes and paints.

They flow across paper as a brush to canvas, transforming my thoughts into words and my words into art.

There is nothing else like it; the art of writing and the painting of words!”

~Inka~ [scott]; 5 October, 2009

... storm front finish... becuase I have one in the mail. Is it?

That was my first pick after seeing the available colors, actually reminds me of a squall line of a serious storm I’d seen whilst camping with my wife many, many years ago.

I have not ordered one but had I done so the Storm Front would have been my choice.

Please do post actual pics when it arrives, cannot afford one [cannot afford to “pay attention” ATM] but like to live vicariously through the purchases of others here @ FPN.

Okay sure! The seller I'm getting it from used flash in the photos so the color looks exceptionally grey. And they are really bad pics. But I hope it looks something like this when it arrives.

http://i164.photobucket.com/albums/u18/Henrylouis16/Aurora%20Talentum/IMG_3779.jpg

..... cannot afford one [cannot afford to “pay attention” ATM] but like to live vicariously through the purchases of others here @ FPN.

Yeah. That's what I said, till I visited Jetpens and Speerbob. :roflmho:

My latest ebook.   And not just for Halloween!

My other pen is a Montblanc.