The Fountain Pen Network uses (functional) cookies. Read the FPN Privacy Policy for more info.  To remove this message, please click here to accept the use of cookies

Registration on the Fountain Pen Network

Dearest Visitor of the little Fountain Pen Nut house on the digital prairie,

Due to the enormous influx of spammers, it is no longer possible to handle valditions in the traditional way. For registrations we therefore kindly and respectfully request you to send an email with your request to our especially created email address. This email address is register at fountainpennetwork dot com. Please include your desired user name, and after validation we will send you a return email containing the validation key, normally wiithin a week.

Thank you very much in advance!
The FPN Admin Team

Photo

Rotring Esprit Retractable

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 calvin82

calvin82

Extremely Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 257 posts

Posted 19 October 2008 - 04:26

This is my first post for a pen review. This is not a detailed review. I just intended to share a new pen that I have received from ebay today. When I was searching for a mini fountain pen, I was attracted by the appearance of it. I just canít understand why this nice little pen was discontinued. Even though I havenít inked it, the appearance of this pen has impressed me. As a rule of thumb, I have flushed the nib and now waiting for it to dry-up in order to avoid any disappointment.

It comes with a very nice packaging: a steel box, warranty document (donít know still got warranty or not since itís discontinued), and a cartridge.

When itís capped, the overall length is significantly shorter than my Lamy Safari and Knight.

Uncapped, the length is almost the same with my Safari. I donít think I will use this pen posted because the cap is easily loose when posted.

The nib has some nice engraving. Itís quite smooth by just try it on the paper even uninked.

Sponsored Content

#2 MYU

MYU

... The key to it all is Capillary Action! ...

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,647 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 20 October 2008 - 23:25

Interesting pen. I'm familiar with the Esprit, but not the retractable version. Does the section partially compress back into the barrel when you cap it? Also, the "wave" design of the section looks like it might be a soft grip. How does it feel?

[MYU's Pen Review Corner]   |   "The Common Ground" -- Jeffrey Small

#3 calvin82

calvin82

Extremely Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 257 posts

Posted 21 October 2008 - 02:03

QUOTE (MYU @ Oct 21 2008, 07:25 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Interesting pen. I'm familiar with the Esprit, but not the retractable version. Does the section partially compress back into the barrel when you cap it? Also, the "wave" design of the section looks like it might be a soft grip. How does it feel?

For the retractable Esprit, the snap in the cap will extend the grip once we pull out the cap. When we cap it back, the grip will be pushed back along with the cap. The grip is matte over steel and sometimes I feel slippery but the trends on the grip helps a lot.

When I first inked it, I had some skipping problem with the nib. It will skip frequently when I draw a horizontal line from left to right. It is OK for others direction. So, I was suspected it's a nib problem. After I adjusted the nib, I think it's fine now but it's still under my observation now.. Anyone has ideas about it?

The width of the Fine nib is almost same with my Lamy Safari. Compared with my Lamy, the Esprit is a bit toothier.

Overall, Im impressed with the design of this pen but disappointed with the writing performance of it.

#4 MYU

MYU

... The key to it all is Capillary Action! ...

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,647 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 21 October 2008 - 04:21

These Rotring nibs have good potential. You're right about checking for tine alignment, as a subtle asymmetry can cause the problems you see. If you examine the nib with a loupe and the tines appear aligned, you might need a little smoothing to reduce the tooth. The "paper bag" technique is always a good first candidate. After that, micromesh.

[MYU's Pen Review Corner]   |   "The Common Ground" -- Jeffrey Small

#5 calvin82

calvin82

Extremely Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 257 posts

Posted 21 October 2008 - 05:10

QUOTE (MYU @ Oct 21 2008, 12:21 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
These Rotring nibs have good potential. You're right about checking for tine alignment, as a subtle asymmetry can cause the problems you see. If you examine the nib with a loupe and the tines appear aligned, you might need a little smoothing to reduce the tooth. The "paper bag" technique is always a good first candidate. After that, micromesh.

Thanks for the advise...I just wish to fix the skipping problem now. This will be a great pen if it didn,t skip. I didn't intended to make this pen any smoother because the toothier writing feelings is not always bad. The writing experience will be less fun if I make all my pens to be same in it's smoothness. For me, the smoothness of a pen brings different character and writing experience to a pen.

Edited by calvin82, 21 October 2008 - 05:11.

Sponsored Content

|