Edison Pens -- The Pearl

Hennypenny

I just today received my much-anticipated package from Brian Gray at Edison Pens -- The Pearl, a pen Brian and I have discussed and debated for a couple of months now, was finally in my hands.

I began planning this pen with Brian prior to its becoming one of his standard models. I liked the fact that its shape and simplicity resembled the Nakaya Piccolo, but that it could be made more quickly and from far more common and functional materials (don't get me wrong -- I love my Piccolo, but I'm hesitant to take it out of the house). Brian had an extensive list of acrylics and ebonites to choose from, and I ultimately opted for the Aurora Borealis acrylic, which is a teal color with a swirl of iridescence.

1. First impressions. Brian makes these pens in his own shop, so there is no packaging or box to speak of. The pen arrived securely packed in a shipping tube inside a priority mail box. I actually like not having yet another pen box to store or papers to keep up with.

2. Appearance and finish. This pen is stunning! Simple, minimalist design expertly crafted in a jewel-like material -- it's a pen I like to hold and stare at. Yet it's perfectly functional as well -- not intimidating or fussy. A marriage of beauty and sensibility.

3. Design, size, weight. Capped, The Pearl is slightly longer than the Nakaya Piccolo -- just enough to fit my hand a little better. The girth is about the same. And it's a light pen given that it's acrylic, has no clip (a clip is optional), and is an ED fill -- one of my lightest pens of its size, but very well-balanced.

4. Nib design and performance. Brian offers a selection of nibs to choose from -- I opted for the 14K Bock nib modified to a fine oblique with "a whisper of italic". How's that for being fussy? But Brian was a trooper and accommodated my requests!. I'm trying various inks in this pen and may need to return it for a flow adjustment (a bit too wet for my tastes), but again, Brian is willing to work with me on it. BTW, the pen is currently loaded with Noodler's Squeteague -- a lovely, dark teal that is a perfect complement to the color of this pen.

5. Filling system. The ED filling system gave me pause, but it's wonderful. You access the body of the pen by unscrewing the nib (it's actually not messy even when the pen is filled -- particularly if you hold the nib with a Baggie or piece of plastic wrap), and then fill using an eyedropper or syringe. Screw the nib back in and voila!! It holds a lot of ink, and you can return unused ink to the bottle if you want to change inks frequently (as I did this afternoon when searching to the perfect combination).

6. Cost/value. Edison's prices are listed on their website, and so far there isn't much of a second-hand trade (or discount) in them. I paid retail for this pen and am well pleased -- I think it's a perfectly functional pen that also pleases my eye and hand. I will get a lot of use out of The Pearl -- it's a well-executed beauty that I'm not hesitant to carry in my daily pack -- something I cannot bring myself to do with a Nakaya.

7. Overall. As you can tell, I'm well-pleased with this pen. I think Brian has a real winner here. Additionally, Brian is a pleasure to work with -- he's professional, accommodating, and communicates well. My experience with Edison Pens has been outstanding, and I do not hesitate to recommend them.

HP

The sky IS falling. C. Little

• Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Hennypenny

• Philip1209

• Nikolaos

• misterh

Here's a quick shot of the two pens using the light on my desk (so it's not a great pic) -- Pearl on the left, Piccolo on the right. HP

Awesome pen, HennyPenny. I know it too, because I saw your pen first hand at the NY/NJ pen show this year. The Aurora Borealis is even more beautiful in person--the photos just can't quite capture the full appearance. It looks like you've got a nice companion for your Nakaya. :) It will be interesting to hear which one becomes your more heavily used pen, if you don't find yourself using them equally.

~Gary

[MYU's Pen Review Corner] | "The Common Ground" -- Jeffrey Small

Yes, the cap screws on -- I just tested it, and it takes about 3/4's of a rotation to secure it -- so it's not one of those where you turn and turn ...

I'm still liking The Pearl -- but I'm wondering if I'm correct in calling it "teal" -- what I call teal may really be more of an emerald green. I think most people expect more blue in a true teal. Anyway, it's a lovely green with lots of depth and interest to it.

HP

Nice review. Does the cap screw on? If so, about how many rotations does it take to put it on securely?

Yes, the cap screws on -- I just tested it, and it takes about 3/4's of a rotation to secure it -- so it's not one of those where you turn and turn ...

I'm still liking The Pearl -- but I'm wondering if I'm correct in calling it "teal" -- what I call teal may really be more of an emerald green. I think most people expect more blue in a true teal. Anyway, it's a lovely green with lots of depth and interest to it.

HP

Nice review. Does the cap screw on? If so, about how many rotations does it take to put it on securely?

Ok, thanks. This pen seems like a good purchase. I'm just having trouble estimating the size. How does the (uncapped) length compare to an m200?

OK, here's a pic of The Pearl and a green demonstrator Pelikan 200. BTW, The Pearl is now sporting the Taccia two-tone nib -- I sent the Bock off for a flow adjustment. HP

Edited by Hennypenny

OK, here's a pic of The Pearl and a green demonstrator Pelikan 200. BTW, The Pearl is now sporting the Taccia two-tone nib -- I sent the Bock off for a flow adjustment. HP

Wonderful! wonderful! wonderful!

Dang - the "immediate gratification" KCat is having trouble with waiting to figure out if hubby is going to get me the B&R HR pearl for Christmas. I had the dimensions but was having trouble "picturing" it and this just seals the deal.

KCat
Save animal lives - support your local animal shelter

My personal blog https://kcdockalscribbling.com

My nature blog https://kcbeachscribbles.com
Venerable are letters, infinitely brave, forlorn, and lost. V. Woolf, Jacob's Room

Wow, thanks a lot for the prompt response! The picture is very helpful. I've been debating between the Pearl and Herald as a graduation/18th birthday/Eagle Scout Award present, and I think I'm leaning towards the Pearl.

Does the Pearl's cap post? I know the new Herald's does, but I'd be reluctant to do so with either pen because it might cause scratches. Still, it's a nifty feature.

Wow, thanks a lot for the prompt response! The picture is very helpful. I've been debating between the Pearl and Herald as a graduation/18th birthday/Eagle Scout Award present, and I think I'm leaning towards the Pearl.

Does the Pearl's cap post? I know the new Herald's does, but I'd be reluctant to do so with either pen because it might cause scratches. Still, it's a nifty feature.

According to Brian's site, the cap will post on the Pearl. Not sure I want to post it, though.

KCat, I was doing great recently with not buying any pens over $15 until I, too, fell for the red and black ebonite Pearl. Then I had to revist the Menlo in red and black ebonite, too, which was the first Edison pen I looked at. Well, suffice it to say, I have placed a preliminary order with Brian for BOTH pens, because I couldn't make up my mind.

:blush:

Scribere est agere.

To write is to act.

Danitrio Fellowship

Yes, the cap does post -- but I am not a "poster", and I hesitate to post this cap -- it's not as secure a poster as some mass-produced pens, plus since it doesn't have a cap band, I worry about bumping it and cracking the cap lip (or cracking it by pushing the cap on too securely). But mainly I don't post in order to avoid marks.

I have now tried both the Taccia nib and the Bock nibs in this pen, and would like to add a few comments about them. When I ordered the Taccia, I asked Brian to make it drier than his normal -- I like a 5 on the 1 to 10 scale. He did so, and I found the Taccia to be a wonderful writer -- smooth, and just the perfect flow. Brian did an excellent job with it, and I was highly satisfied.

But then I received the Bock nib, which had been returned to Brian for a flow adjustment (again, it needed to be drier). It is just PERFECTION! There is an element of feedback to it that is absolute heaven -- same flow as the Taccia, but I can feel and hear it gripping the paper ever so slightly -- an experience that I enjoy. I also have the Bock nib on my Glenmont, and the experience is the same. Now both of the Bocks have some cursive italic to them, so maybe this is why they do this, versus the Taccia, which is a Fine -- but I tend to think it's more an inherent difference between the nibs.

In any event, I wanted to point this out. If you like a smooth, wet Italian nib, I would suggest you go for the Taccia nib; if you like feedback, go for the Bock. I'd be interested to know if anyone else has noticed this, or if Brian has any comments about it. And don't get me wrong -- BOTH nibs are wonderful -- it's just a matter of preference. And it's great to have the option of choosing -- or getting both and switching them.

HP

Nice review. I love your handwriting!

:happycloud9:

Cathy L. Carter

Live. Love. Write.

In any event, I wanted to point this out. If you like a smooth, wet Italian nib, I would suggest you go for the Taccia nib; if you like feedback, go for the Bock. I'd be interested to know if anyone else has noticed this, or if Brian has any comments about it. And don't get me wrong -- BOTH nibs are wonderful -- it's just a matter of preference. And it's great to have the option of choosing -- or getting both and switching them.

HP

Hi HP.

I thought that I would comment. Really, either nib can write however you want in regards to flow and feedback. There are inherent differences between steel and gold, but the flow and feedback has little to do with the material, in my opinion. The CI nib was made purposely with some feedback. The Taccia nib was made to have less flow, but I don't remember you saying that you wanted more feedback. I can do that it you wish.

My apologies if I misunderstood your request.

Edited by bgray